Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nmgirl_gw

Garden bells followup - long post

nmgirl
17 years ago

The garden bells turned out to be quite simple to make, it was just a lot of trial and error at first. I'll see how they handle being outdoors, I might find more errors!

Here's how I made them:

The bell - all the bells, except for the flat top one, are made from glass lamp parts. I'm sure you've seen the glass lamps in the TS. When you take them apart you usually have at least two pieces and often three. I used the center bell shaped piece, the end/supporting pieces work I worked into totems. The flat topped bell is the chimney from a hurricane style candle holder. Whatever you use for the bell, be sure it is heavy. Lightweight glass doesn't sound as pretty or hold up to repeated banging from the clapper.

The clapper- a wooden doll's head from the craft store. I use the a doll's head because it was predrilled, all I had to do was drill through the rest of the way. Be sure to hang flat part down so it won't hold or catch water. I gave mine two coats of spar varnish after drilling.

The wind catcher - is made of red oak because that's what I could find. I found 1/2"w. by 3'l. pieces of red oak lumber at Home Depot. For visual balance, I made the catchers as long as the bell itself but do what looks best to you. I used a paper pattern to decide on shape and length BEFORE cutting into the nice wood. I used a jig saw, file, sandpaper and drill for shaping and finishing. All catchers have two coats of spar varnish. Whatever you use for a wind catcher be sure that it has some weight to it, wind catchers that are too light just blow around.

I used jack chain for hanging the clapper and wind catcher; it's inexpensive, lightweight, strong, easy to work with and to find. The wood pieces are attached to the jack chain with copper wire. I used copper for two reasons,1. I already had some on hand, and 2. it inhibits mold and mildew growth. It doesn't stop it, just inhibits it.

Use what works for you.

The bell hanger assembly - has 4 parts to it, an "S" hook, two welded rings and a large rubber/neoprene washer. I wanted a hanger that would allow the bell to move some in the wind. I was concerned that a rigid assembly might increase the breakage factor, remember the bells are made of glass.I also wanted something that was simple to put together and maintain so here's what I came up with. It's easiest to take the glass bell with you to the hardware store when you're buying the hanger pieces. It's also fun seeing people's expression when you explain what you're doing!

1. Using the top opening of the bell as your size guide purchase a WELDED ring larger that the opening. The easiest way to do this is to take the bell with you to the hardware store. Be sure the ring won't get stuck in the opening yet it's not so large that it won't fit in the top of the bell. You want the bell to wobble on it. This ring will carry the bell and is the attachment point for the clapper chain.

2. Find an "S" hook that will fit through the top bell opening with about 1" or the top loop showing above the bell when the hook wnd the interior welded ring are hooked together. I can't tell you exactly what size of "S" you need,it all depends on the shape of the glass and the size of the ring. Be sure it's an "S" hook you can work with pliers! Don't buy, like I did, an "S" that's used for repairing chain. Duh! I've had best luck with the prepackaged "S" hooks, not the loose ones.

3.Purchase a LARGE rubber/neoprene washer that will fit over the "S" hook and fit between the carrier ring and the wall of the bell. This washer will protect the glass from the metal ring.

4.Find another ring for your top hanger ring. Be sure it's large enough to not fall through the top opening of the bell. Don't attach the ring to the "S" hook yet!

Hanger assembly instructions:

Open one side of the "S" hook just enough to allow the carrier ring to be slipped on.Close the "S" hook.

Work and wiggle the large rubber washer down over the top of the "S" hook until it rests on top of the carrier ring.

Attach whatever chain or cord you're using to hold the clapper and windcatcher to the carrier ring. Don't worry about cutting it to length right now. The bell has to be assembled and hanging up before you can determine where the clapper should hang.

You have a choice with the next step. Either open the other end of the "S" hook enough to allow the hanging ring to slip in - but don't put the ring in yet, or leave the hook closed. I recommend opening it now. Either way, insert the "S" hook/washer/carrier ring assembly through the opening from the inside of the bell so that you can hold the partially assembled bell up by the "S" hook. Attach the hanging ring and close the hook.You'll probably need two pairs of pliers to close the ring and be careful! You're working with glass!

You should now be able to hang up your clapperless bell.

With the bell hanging, attach the clapper so that it strikes the bottom rim of the bell.

With the bell hanging, attach the windcatcher. The distance of the windcatcher from the bell is just a matter of what pleases you. I like to hang mine twice the length of the bell. Experiment with it. Keep in mind if the catcher is either too far from or too close to the bell it won't ring very well.

The bell top - I didn't want to leave the large opening completely exposed. I cut flashing into individual two lobed "petals" and GE'ed them, slightly overlapping, around the top. I left room for the hanging assembly and bell to move in the wind. The top is partially open but I hope the "petals" will keep most of the leaves, pine needles and rain out. I didn't want to close the top opening completely and not allow air to circulate.

Be sure to hang the bell where it won't bang into something and hang it over a soft surface just in case it comes down!

I know this is a lot of words, I do better with pictures myself. I'm on the lookout for more lamps to "convert", If anyone is interested, I'll try to make a step-by-step photo explanation.

Confusion or questions?

Comments (13)

• nmgirl
    Original Author
    17 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I forgot to mention that the carrier ring,the one inside the bell, hangs vertically.The bell rests on the "shoulders" of the ring.
    Perhaps that was obvious to everyone.........

• decompost
    17 years ago

A great project, nmgirl, and a wonderful tutorial.
    I'll be keeping my eyes open for suitable glass for this project.

:-) Thanks for the how-to.

• susie_gardener_2007
    17 years ago

I like your bells. Thanks for posting these instructions.

Susie

• Woodsy
    17 years ago

Dang! I must have missed the bells...geez..spend a few days on the sewing/quilting forums and I miss everything!!!
    I went back a few pages, and didn't see pix of your bells...could you let me know when you posted? or put up another link for the pix...would appreciate it much...
    thanks
    Woodsy

• Woodsy
    17 years ago

I sure enjoyed the pictures (thank you again for posting this for me!) and the instructions made sence and don't sound too complicated..but sounds like I might need a couple more hands! lol.
    Can't wait to start looking for parts to make some of these...I think they are just AWESOME!
    Saved the instructions in my doc. files..
    Woodsy

• leaveswave
    16 years ago

Very thorough directions, but I still managed to come up with a couple questions if you have a sec to fill me in that would be great.

I've never noticed lamps with shades like these--is the opening at the top almost as big as the flashing?
    What do you mean by welded ring?
    Is the rubber washer there because you don't want the metal ring touching the glass?

Thanks for your many hours of experimentation to bring us this neat project!

• TwoMonths
    16 years ago

I found that if I put a screen name in search, I come up with all their posts.

http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/load/junk/msg02182443407.html

Here is a link that might be useful: Garden Bells

• leaveswave
    16 years ago

Thanks, two..., but I've seen the pictures. I had questions about the directions...

• nmgirl
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hi Leaveswave,
    Sorry I didn't respond yesterday to your post. I've a part time job so combining that with everything else I need to do takes away from my junk forum time. I'll try to answer your questions and if my answers don't make sense please let me know.

The lamps: The glass you see isn't the lamp shade, it is the body of the lamp. I find them in thrift stores, you can probably find them at yard sales too. The glass body of the lamp is usually in two or three pieces that fit together and generally form an urnlike shape. I use the large bell shaped piece for bells and depending on the number and shape of the remaining pieces either work them into glass totems(which I call glass topiaries) or use them as small candlesticks. The smaller bedside/dressing table lamps are often only one piece of glass. The threaded rod that carries the electrical cord and is the attachment point for the base and socket portions runs up the center of the glass pieces.

Opening at top/Flashing: The top opening is smaller than the flashing. The flashing isn't strong enough to support the weight of the bell and clapper pieces. These things get heavy! The flashing is cut by hand into individual pieces which are applied by hand. This sounds like a lot of work but I've found that, for me, it's easier to adjust the flashing as individual pieces. I'm only cutting out one shape which works for all the bells. The only difference being the number of pieces needed to cover the top opening. I don't try to cover the top completely, just enough to make it difficult for pine needles, leaves, etc, to get caught. I want it open enough for rain or other moisture to fall through and allow air to circulate through the bell.

Welded ring: This is a standard heavy metal ring that is welded closed as opposed to being merely clamped closed. A welded ring is a continuous piece of metal that has no gap where the ends of the ring meet. There is no way to open a welded ring without cutting it. Since it's welded, this type of ring will carry weight much better than a simple clamped ring. The entire weight of the bell and clapper assembly is carried by the ring so I want something sturdy.
    Just specifically ask for them at any hardware/DIY store.

Rubber washer: I now use the rubber washer only in the heavy bells. I've found that it's not really necessary in the lighter weight bells and is one less thing to deal with. I actually may not need the rubber washer but it gives me some peace of mind to think that the weight of the bell is cushioned somewhat by the washer. If you use a rubber washer be certain that air can circulate through the bell. The rubber will eventually degrade but the process is greatly accelerated by exposure to excessive moisture and strong sunlight. I'm hoping that the flashing provides adequate shade but only time will tell.

I hope this answers some of your questions. If not or if you have anymore,please ask.
    Since I've started making these bells I've depended on my knowledge and research of the materials used to help me along. If I discover any major issues, (or if any of you out there in Junkers-ville have), post it!
    I love this forum!

• mjowest
    16 years ago

Anyway you can put a close up of the top of the chime on here?

I had to stop myself from buying all the glass at the TS the other day.
    Let's just start with one!

• nmgirl
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hi mjowest,
    I'll get a picture posted as soon as I can. I do have to work tomorrow but hopefully I should be able to get one up here on Tuesday.

• mjowest
    15 years ago

Bumped back up for newbies. This one's too cool.

BUT nmgirl- I can't get the top right! Waaaah! Would you, could you please try to help me Again???

• mjowest
    15 years ago

Bump

Sponsored
Urban Upkeep LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars6 Reviews
Franklin County's High Quality Painting Expert