Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chevy57red

Anyone know where to find..

chevy57red
13 years ago

any large sized plastic spheres or large styro balls?

I see many use that type of material for gazing balls and for mosaics..

They would be so much lighter in weight for me to move around as we go from place to place..

Thanks!!

Comments (16)

• Marlene Kindred
    13 years ago

I've seen some pretty big styrofoam balls at Hobby Lobby and Michaels...they may not be quite as big as a bowling ball, but they are at least 10 inch diameter.

• Marlene Kindred
    13 years ago

I also checked on the Saveoncrafts.com site and they have them up to 12 inches in diameter...not cheap though...about $25 each.

• a.girl.named.max
    13 years ago

Would the large balls in toy departments work? I think they might be a spring/summer toy item.

• jeannespines
    13 years ago

Those large balls "lose" air eventually (around here, anyway)...unless you could leave the spot open where you inflate air. I think I would try like a recycling center...sometimes big pcs of hard foam come w/tv screens, washer/dryers, fridges, etc. Can't think of a ball tho.???ummmmm...will think on this some more. Enjoy your travels! Jeanne S.

• chevy57red
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks..
    I will have to check out Michaels and Hobby Lobby.

Was curious as bowling balls add so much weight to our load that sometimes I get that look..
    You know the one..

And they really make some nasty noises banging together when in motion..

• concretenprimroses
    13 years ago

On the hypertufa forum they tell how to make hollow hypertufa balls using a beach ball as a mold. I always wanted to try it but not sure if I'll ever get to it.
    I've posted a link to one description. If you do a search on that forum there are more.
    Kathy

Here is a link that might be useful: Making a hollow sphere

• threekittens_ia
    13 years ago

Would light globes work? I occ. see these in the thrift stores. 10" light globe

• sweetkountry
    13 years ago

You can sometimes get larger plastic Christmas ornament balls.They aren't as big as a bowling ball, but they are pretty big.

• kathi_mdgd
    12 years ago

The larger xmas ornament balls are what i used.First i left them in the garden just as they were when i bought them.Then after they faded is when i added all those 1/2 marbles and they turned out well.That's been at least 6 years or so ago,and they still look good.
    Kathi,who's spending this sunday looking through old post~~~~~~~~~What fun it is.
    kathi

• shpnquen
    12 years ago

I was thinking of the really large hard plastic Christmas ball ornaments too. I bought a couple on clearance a couple of years ago that are just as big as bowling balls at Menards, but haven't put the half marbles on them in fear they wouldn't hold up with the weight in the heat of summer, but now I WILL be doing that with them.

Glad someone brought this back to the first page of posts!

• patty2430
    12 years ago

Do you live near either of the "Unclaimed Freight" stores; one is in Aitkin MN and the other is on Hwy 169 south of Onamia MN. I haven't been there in quite a long time, but maybe you'd be able to find something there.

• kim546
    12 years ago

Can I use GE II as glue for glass globs onto large Christmas ornament? I would like to do mosaic, but if I use ceramic pieces I figured I'd use adhesive/grout, is that right? Everyone is very inspiring and helpful-Thanks,Kim :) I still need to post my pics once I learn how!

• kathi_mdgd
    12 years ago

I used the GE II on mine,and it worked very well.
    kathi

• chevy57red
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Patty.. I have not thought about or been to Unclaimed Freight in years.. thanks for reminding me..
    I will have to be on the lookout for the big ornaments at christmas this year also.
    I did get one small gazing ball done for my daughter. Will take pics today and post.
    Thanks for bringing the post back to the top.. my old memory forgot I had posted this!!

• boston3381
    12 years ago

chevy57red you might want to try a pet store for the ball.
    google this "The Almost Indestructible Dog Ball" i think they come in 2 sizes 12" and 8" for around $10.00.
    my friend had one for his dog, there hard as a rock and light..

and yes its Almost Indestructible!!!!

• concretenprimroses
    12 years ago

As long as this has popped up again, I will mention that junk globes of the earth that you find at yard sales are often plastic balls under the maps. I peeled the map off one thinking I'd mosaic it but was advised againse it on the SG&M forum. both the weight of the grout and the possibility of the plastic expanding and contrating with the weather were concerns. I might try it any way just to see what happens.
    Kathy

Sponsored
Longhouse Architects
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Loudoun County's Prominent Architecture Firm Creating Cohesive Designs