Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
willowgirl_gw

Miniature birdbath!

willowgirl
13 years ago

Just thought I'd share ... Made from a couple of thrift-store candy dishes, a wine glass, and glass pebbles (also from the thrift store. They had the EXACT color I needed! What are the odds, eh?). It stands about a foot tall.

Comments (23)

• willowgirl
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Darn! The photo didn't post. Sorry, I tried! :(

• garden2garden
    13 years ago

Oh my goodness willowgirl don't give up!
    I'd sure like to see that...

How are you trying to post the picture maybe we can help you figure out what's wrong.

Can you post just the link to it?

• nmgirl
    13 years ago

I'd like to see it too! Please try again.

• jeannespines
    13 years ago

Did you open a free account with Photobucket or Flicker? Give that a try...most of us use one of those. Jeanne S.

• threekittens_ia
    13 years ago

Not to intrude on this post, but speaking of miniature birdbaths, I found this one a couple weeks ago at a house tag sale for $1. I suspect it was a florist item. Its just unpainted gray bisque? I'm thinking of painting the outside white but sort of antiquing it with some stain too as I'm not a crisp, fresh paint sort of person on some things. And then giving mozaic a try on the bowl of it. But its got a couple of rounded edges on the inside so not sure how easy that would be? I almost bought a plate today for $2 that had some flowers thinking I could tape it and then smash it in order to keep the pieces in order. I'd like it to the general look of the whole plate but of course in little pieces.
    {{gwi:131399}}
    {{gwi:131400}}

• nmgirl
    13 years ago

If it's bisque it might need a final firing w/a glaze or some sort of surface sealer. It seems I remember reading somewhere that bisque isn't very weather safe unless sealed and fired.
    But I'm certainly not a ceramics expert or even an avid hobbiest...more of a occasional dabbler.

• willowgirl
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Oh, that bisque piece would make a GREAT birdbath!

I'm guessing it probably has been fired once already. It could either be glazed and fired again, or just painted with regular paint and sealed with poly or similar clear sealer.

Anyway, as to my pic -- I tried posting the Photobucket [ img ] link (minus the spaces) and also uploading directly from my computer -- neither way seemed to work!

I'm going to try posting the direct link to my Photobucket, but I don't know if that will work without a login.

How does one post pics directly in a thread (like the ones of the bisque piece above)?

Forgive me for my stupidity -- it's been awhile since I've visited this forum! I did look for forum FAQs but didn't find any information. :(

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:131397}}

• sunnyca_gw
    13 years ago

Willow, It worked! Beautiful!! Will you keep it in the house? Perfect match of pieces, looks like a designer glass sculpture. Jan

• jeannespines
    13 years ago

Your link worked, willowgirl! BEAUTIFUL recycling of glass! Unusual stem & adding the glass pebbles quite unique!

To post a pic in the body of your message:

Under your pic (in PBucket) click on the 3rd line down which reads HTML code...you should see it a popup in that box that says "copied." (if not, right click on it & choose "copy")

Then go to the body of your message you are typing & right click & choose "paste." Like this:

{{gwi:131401}}

It will show up as "gibberish" (we call it) but when you are done typing your message & hit "preview message" the pic itself will show up in that next window so you can "send message."

Hope this helps. Lookin' forward to more pics. Jeanne S.

• ymaddox
    13 years ago

willow that bird bath is beautiful.

• threekittens_ia
    13 years ago

Love your little birdbath. Very pretty and unique.

• nmgirl
    13 years ago

Oooooo pretty!

• laurastheme
    13 years ago

OMG Willow. It's gorgeous!!!!!!!!

Jeanne, I love your flower bouquet, too. What did you use for the stems and grass>

• willowgirl
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks girls! :)

And thanks, Jeanne, for the explanation of how to post photos ... I had been trying to post an [img] code instead of the HTML!

I have a dragonfly teapot that I want to use as the top of a totem next ... I just have to find a few more pieces to go with it! (But that gives me an excuse to visit thrift stores, heh!)

• jeannespines
    13 years ago

willowgirl...you're welcome...hope pics will post ok for you...lookin' forward to your dragonfly topper!

laurastheme...that is just a little barnwood door...painted the stems & grass...faucet handles for flowers...whitewashed old barn wood. Jeanne S.

• gardencraze
    13 years ago

Willow Thank you for sharing I really like the idea of the gls pebbles in the bottem. Great Job!!!
    Hugs, Carmen

• Marlene Kindred
    13 years ago

OMGosh Willow...what an awesome birdbath! LOVE it!

• concretenprimroses
    13 years ago

Your birdbath is stunning!
    Kathy

• LindaArb
    13 years ago

Absolutely amazing!!
    TFS Linda

• sorie6 zone 6b
    13 years ago

Wow that is really pretty. Keep the pics coming.

• marylee_2010
    13 years ago

That is beautiful and one of a kind. Truly awesome. - Marylee

• azcactusflower
    13 years ago

willowgirl, that piece is absolultely beautiful. I think I would want to display that in my house. What a stunning piece. Thanks for sharing your pic.
    jeannespines, you are such a sweetheart helping all of us newbies learn how to post pics to this forum. Your instructions are so simple to follow. Thanks.

• toomuchglass
    13 years ago

That's too pretty to put out for the birds !! I LOVE IT !!!

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!