Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bookjunky4life

Aluminum Can Flowers

bookjunky4life
12 years ago

This is my new obsession. I used the design from http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jYdC8sjjkRA. I'm experimenting on slight variations. I am thinking of leaving one side just the silver inside of the can (this would be the back side) and painting the other side the petals like yellow or pink, etc. and the center a separate color. Then glue a stick on the back side to stick in the ground. I cut three circles from one can, five petals from a second can and five petals from a third can. I then glue five petals to one side of the circle. Let that dry. Turn it over and glue the other five petals to the other side, staggering them of course. Then glue the silver side up,another circle to the silver side (back side). Paint the "front side" whatever colors you want the petals. Paint the remaining the circle the color you want to eye, then glue it color side up to the front. Glue the stick and you're done. When I have one completed, I will post a photo.

Comments (13)

• trashydj
    12 years ago

can't wait to see yours

• mommyandme2
    12 years ago

I watched the video. I make fringe for the center of my passion flowers the same way that she does. It's not easy to attach, though. I find that when you have that many pieces that require glue, it's best the do several flowers at once so you can do them in stages; otherwise the pieces that are still "wet" start to shift.
    Also: try to find something metal to use for a stem; even a coat hanger will do. The kind of wooden stick she used for a stem will rot in the ground VERY fast. After all that work, I'd prefer for my flowers to last through a few seasons & that wooden stick will not last long at all.
    I've never used the particular glue she used. I wonder how well it works outside. As people here know, I'm the reigning "Superglue Queen". I'm hoping to be learning some soldering skills soon, though. - Post some pictures when your'e done. - Laura

• bookjunky4life
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I have been using Elmer's Glue-All Max http://www.elmers.com/product/detail/E9416?filterPath=hardware. It says its for interior and exterior and seems to be working really well.

• concretenprimroses
    12 years ago

They look like a lot of fun. Its good you are painting them as that will protect the aluminium from disintegration in the sun. I had a really cute airplane made from cans that faded and fell apart.
    I think it would be neat to glue a clip to the back and clip them into shrubs and trees.
    Kathy

• marylee_2010
    12 years ago

bookjunk4life, That is a great link and tutorial. Those pop can flowers are neat. I have already started saving the cans after I saw the post for making roses that was shown earlier.

I am repeating the link in hopes that it will show up when you click:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jYdC8sjjkRA

Thank you for sharing this with us.

Marylee

• marylee_2010
    12 years ago

I evidently don't know who to enter the link. I am going to try something else.

Marylee

Here is a link that might be useful: Aluminum Can Flowers

• marylee_2010
    12 years ago

I learned something new today! Now I can post links. As you can see, I am still learning by trial and error. Thanks for bearing with me.

Marylee

• posieh
    12 years ago

Fantastic flowers! Now I have more things on my list to make! They are adorable!

• marylee_2010
    12 years ago

bookjunky4life, I hope you don't mind my putting the link in for your tutorial post. I know I like to use links and I jumped right in without thinking about it. I have saved this link in my computer for future reference.

I will be interested in seeing how you are going to make up your flowers.

Marylee

• bookjunky4life
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Marylee - link as you see fit. I just wanted to show the basic design of the flowers I am making but I don't have my own photos yet.

I one flower almost done. I painted both sides yellow. The eye for the front of the flower is painted orange. I will glue the eye on tonight, and hopefully find some kind of wire to use for a stem. I was able to keep the natural concavity of the cans on the petals and it closely resembles a pinwheel. My idea is to put a piece of metal through the center and hopefully it will also spin.

• toomuchglass
    12 years ago

I like the flowers ! I heard Heidi say she made a business out of making soda can jewelry ... I'm so curious about that !

• trashydj
    12 years ago

what kind of glue are you using?

• bookjunky4life
    Original Author
    12 years ago

{{gwi:131423}}

Flowers so far.

Sponsored
Native Plant Scapes
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
Your Friendly Native Plant Landscape Designers in Loudoun County