Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mommyandme2

turning cement screws into dragonflies

mommyandme2
12 years ago

At the apartment complex where 2 of my DD's live, the outdoor stair railings were replaced this past summer with sturdier railings. As usual, the old cement screws were tossed under the stairs. They are about 5 inches long and, of course, I had to rescue one pile.

{{gwi:131450}}

I turned them into sparkling dragonflies.

{{gwi:131451}}

I turned a few more large screws and bolts into dragonflies, too.

{{gwi:131452}}

I have no idea what I'm going to do with so many, but it was fun making them. - Laura

Comments (17)

• sanitycheck
    12 years ago

Adorable....i didnt know you needed to justify having too many of one thing if your a gardner, lol.

• Marlene Kindred
    12 years ago

Great reuse! They would look pretty as a mobile on your porch if you have one!

• oldcrafty
    12 years ago

Those are gorgeous and sooooo creative! Thanks for sharing.

• trashydj
    12 years ago

love them great job

• trashydj
    12 years ago

omgosh I am hooked already on these I have been sitting here making them with some 21/2 inch screws love these will never look at screws in the SAME WAY AGAIN LOL

• posieh
    12 years ago

How pretty!

• kudzukween
    12 years ago

i agree, they would make a beautiful mobile :)
    Louise

• pixie_lou
    12 years ago

concreteprimroses suggested on the aluminum can flower thread about attaching a clip to the flowers to attach to branches. And I automatically thought that would be great to do with these dragonflies as well.

Funny how I saw these dragonflies and thought "cute, but what would I do with them". But then the suggestion of adding clips makes me think "I gotta get me some screws and start making these"! It's all about perception!

• mommyandme2
    Original Author
    12 years ago

What kind of a clip should I be looking for? A Wooden clothesline clip? Something else?

• mommyandme2
    Original Author
    12 years ago

What kind of a clip should I be looking for? A Wooden clothesline clip? Something else?

• pixie_lou
    12 years ago

I was thinking alligator clips. But now that I re-read and see that your screws are 5" long - maybe a clothes pin would work. Or maybe large binder clips. I think you may need to take a walk thru the hardware aisle at Home Depot.

• noni5394
    11 years ago

Thank you for sharing your great ideas..I needed something to do with my grandchildren over vacation and this fit the bill..We had a blast creating wonderful flying bugs to hang in their trees at home, and some for my patio trees. GREAT! ( Very cost effective too)

• cnm1
    11 years ago

These are cute as can be!!!!

• mommyandme2
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Oh, if you could see those dragonflies now. I'll take pictures later, but believe me, they are no longer pretty. We had a terrible, terrible storm here a couple of weeks ago. There was a funnel cloud that was spotted & photographed, but didn't actually touch ground. We got 15 inches of nickel-size hail stones during a period of about 45 minutes and wind so loud we couldn't hear each other speak without shouting. Then we had 6 hours of torrential rains. My daughter has $9000. worth of damage to her car. Many cars destroyed. Countless windows blown out, asphalt & sheet metal roofs stripped off. Spanish tile roofs shattered like glass. My poor little junk garden didn't fare well at all, but I'm starting to put it back together. We will be getting a new roof soon. We all survived with no injuries. They say this storm, that came with NO warning, did more damage to this community than any hurricane has ever done.

• cnm1
    11 years ago

I am so sorry to hear about the bad storm and all the damage done. I know that there have been some awful storms this year. Glad to hear that your family is safe. THe good thing about junk - is that there is always more to be found.

• realtorrose
    11 years ago

Hi,
    They are really lovely. Is there any way you can give us a tutorial on how to make these beautiful dragonflies.

• trashydj
    11 years ago

awwwwwww so sorry about your crafts being destroyed after all your hard work good thing is you can remake them take care

Sponsored
Velero Deck Designs
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
Loudoun County's Source for High-End Custom Decks & Outdoor Structures