Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
marquest_gw

Love Black

marquest
12 years ago

I was thinking Totem, when I started collecting Black dishes from the Thrift store. I started last year when they were cheap. I think the thrift stores have been reading here and started raising the prices. I use to get the cups for 25 cents and tea pots for 1.00. Now they have gone up to 1.00 for glasses and 5.00 for tea pots. Anyhow...lol I got off track.

I saw this here years ago when people were doing bowling balls...

{{gwi:131518}}

I am going to use a glass globe and use some of my black dishes as the totem for the bottom. Do you see that car..It is a avon bottle. Thrift store charged me 5.00 for that car. lol It is so cute I have to figure out how to incorporate it in one of the totems.

{{gwi:131519}}

Comments (12)

• marquest
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I do not know why the pic is so small.

{{gwi:131520}}

• bookjunky4life
    12 years ago

Those are pretty!

• mommyandme2
    12 years ago

Love that bowling ball. I'm curious how your totem will turn out. I would never have thought of using black because I don't think I've ever seen much black stuff in the thrift stores. I'm sure it will be quite elegant - Laura

• pixie_lou
    12 years ago

Is all that actually black glass? I have lots of black dishes - but they are black ceramic. I've rarely seen black glass.

• marquest
    Original Author
    12 years ago

pixi the Stem glasses and of course the Avon car are glass the plates and tea pot are ceramic. They say France on the backs of them maybe that is why they are more expensive than the ceramics I purchased last year.

• sunnyca_gw
    12 years ago

The teapot decorated with the wired beads is very nice!! I've seen black & white totems on here & they looked lovely so you should be able to come up with something nice especially with that cute car- maybe a birdbath with that in the center! Jan

• jeannespines
    12 years ago

Wow! That will be an interesting totem! Love that bowling ball pic...quite unique! I have some of those black plates (w/France on the back) that I got at GWill ...but I use them (as plates) LOL!

I like your idea...will be fun to see what you come up with! TFS! Jeanne S.

• nonacook
    12 years ago

I remember when that BB was first posted on MSN
    garden junk-I loved it then and still do.
    My DD chose the black dishes when she got married
    20 years ago. The one she has, has sharper corners
    than the ones pictured, and the mugs/cups were a
    little different. We did buy some serving pieces
    later when these came out.
    Because I like black too, I have been picking up
    pieces like yours to use--she won't let me have
    hers-LOL

• marquest
    Original Author
    12 years ago

nonacook, I have loved this bowling ball so long I saved it in my favorite crafts to do one day when I retired. Well that day has come I finally have time. I have so many projects in that file it should carry me into the grave. I even remember her explaination of how to cut the marbles to look like grapes. I am going to try this for sure. It is just so classy looking to me.

You think if you send your daughter on vacation you could slip in and trade out the dishes. Tell her you are updating her china. lol Have you had trouble finding black? It seems every time I step in the Thrift store I see a new piece of black. It may be time that all are getting rid of the black look.

• Marlene Kindred
    12 years ago

Love that BB too! Wow! And your black dishes should make an awesome looking totem too. Can't wait to see what you come up with! TFS~

• concretenprimroses
    12 years ago

TFS the bowling ball. And your black collection should make quite elegant garden decorations.
    Kathy

• posieh
    12 years ago

That black is awesome! Some black glass dishes were in style about 20-25 years I think maybe from Target stores. Can't remember for sure.

Sponsored
Landscape Concepts of Fairfax, Inc.
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
Northern VA's Creative Team of Landscape Designers & Horticulturists