Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
imjustsam

Washtubs

imjustsam
16 years ago

Hi everyone, I am new to this site and have been reading posts for 2 days now. I know you can help me with a new dilema. I could not resist $3 for 3 washtubs and now I need ideas on what to do with them. I know I can use them for planters and maybe a small dog pool. Any suggestions would be most appreciated. Thanks to all you talented folks out there.

Comments (16)

• tehuti
    16 years ago

Can you post the measurments, please?

Robert

• kathi_mdgd
    16 years ago

Are you talking about the old galvanized tubs of years gone by??
    Kathi

• imjustsam
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Yes these are the old galvanized tubs, 22x22 and 12" high.
    Maybe a water container garden?

• countrygrl
    16 years ago

I have several of the old galvanized ones, if that's what you mean. I use a couple to hold different kinds of potting soil in my shed, and I've planted in one. You could make a fountain, with a watering can "pouring" into it. Make sure to show us what you decide to do with yours!

• uglyoodie
    16 years ago

A WATERFALL! YAH!!!!!!!!

• lovesgardeningcw
    16 years ago

I love the waterfall idea, but last summer I planted a hosta and some annuals in mine, put it under a shade tree with an old window on the back of the washtub that leaned up against the tree. I got so many compliments on it. Just another idea.

• luna_llena_feliz
    16 years ago

I love the idea of the water feature with the watering can. I know kirkus has a picture of a half barrel pond he made with a watering can fountain. I think it would look awesome with the washtubs.

Please show us pictures once you do decide what to do with them!

• kirkus
    16 years ago

Welcome, imjustsam! What a great find and price! I saw one today at the waste to energy plant, asked if I could have it, and they said no. (Sadness.) I love everyone's ideas! A waterfall, planter, holder for potting soil, etc. Thanks Luna for remembering my watering can fountain. It was so fun and rewarding to make. Here's a link to the pictures for you, imjustsam. Like Luna said, post pictures once you create something! Kirk

Here is a link that might be useful: Watering can fountain

• imjustsam
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks for the ideas . I have a large galvinized watering can that was left behind when I bought my house. I was wondering how I would attatch it, so thank you for the photos Kirkus. I know I have plenty of crooks I could use to hang it from. If this winter doesnt end soon, there will be no room for flowers this year. Between the glass totems and tubs. Thanks again for all the great input. I will post summer photos when all gets done.

• goldenpond
    16 years ago

Here are a few from my garden
    {{gwi:7277}}
    {{gwi:131523}}
    they also are nice to put ice and sodas in at picnics.

• craftylady-2006
    16 years ago

Hi Imjustsam, welcome to the forum. Two days of reading you say, I know that was fun. This is such a fantastic group of folks. You'll love it here. If you are going to use the wash tubs as planters, turn it over and punch holes in it with a hammer and a large size nail for drainage. Do you like to paint? You could paint them with a solid color first then do designs or something else you'd enjoy on them. If it's acrylic paint you're using, remember to use a sealer so the paint will hold up in the weather elements.
    Another idea is to use one for the bottom of "tipsey pots." You can find pics of those by doing a "search" on the front page of the forum when it first opens up.

Sure hope you'll share pics with us when you've finished your project(s).

Sal

• jeannespines
    16 years ago

Here's an ol' tub planted with castor oil beans. But they are poisonous ... so not for anywhere with kids around.

Kirk - love the watering can fountain and
    Goldenpond - love the pump and glass balls!
    Thanks for sharing! Jeanne S.

• jeannespines
    16 years ago

Whoops, missed it on other post.
    Here's old feed tub with castor oil plant. Jeanne S.

{{gwi:131524}}

• KaraLynn
    16 years ago

Welcome! I planted herbs in an old wash tub one of my neighbors gave me.
    {{gwi:76514}}

• superiorgirl2
    16 years ago

This will make you feel really good about your great deal!! I just saw two of the square galvanized wash tubs in St. Vincent de Paul and they had them priced at $25 EACH!! Obviously they are not in the back of my car. Good grief.

I always have one that I don't use for anything other than as a cooler for parties. I think they look great either as a water feature (especially love the one with the glass balls in it!) or planted. The only thing about planting them is you need drainage holes and I could never poke one that wasn't holey all ready.

• imjustsam
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I know everyone says you have to add holes when planting, but I never do. I usually just put broken terra cotta or small stones on the bottom before I fill it with soil. I do this for both indoor or outdoor pots.