Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sherril_2008

Propane Tank Pig

sherril_2008
16 years ago

I saw this propane tank pig planter at a local craft fair last summer.

I did not buy one at the time because my DH said he could "probably" make me one...

They were selling for $80.

btw... I still don't have one of my own, so I may be buying myself one this summer!

{{gwi:131558}}

Comments (13)

• tehuti
    16 years ago

Now I can see a use for those propane bottles sitting in my scrap pile. Sometimes all it takes is a picture and the "Why didn't I think of that" thoughts start running wild. I just never saw a planter. Thanks for the picture

I made a fountain from a propane tank, the other parts: an industrial security lamp shade, a floor lamp base, some scrap tubing, an aquarium pump, and a brass dolphin from a desk ornament.

{{gwi:131559}}

BTW, I used to hear that refrain all the time when I was trying to sell my creations at the fles markets. "Save your money, I can make you one of those for next to nothing." Or something similar. I just smiled knowing even if they could make one and save money - it wouldn't happen.

obert

• Bright199
    16 years ago

What a great Idea. I do that alot too.... and it never gets done!! LOL. Wish I could weld!

• pattico_gw
    16 years ago

Isn't there a metal glue ?...Something like "Weldbond"

Seems like there is something...my son used to use on his racing motorcycle.

patti

• tehuti
    16 years ago

There all kinds of products you could use to join metal, it all depends on piece and how the end product is used. I have used Portland cement, bondo, solder, and different epoxies to join metal to metal, metal to glass, metal to wood, and metal to plastic. If one product doesn't work I try something else. BTW, the dolphin fountain has no welded pieces.

Robert

• sherril_2008
    Original Author
    16 years ago

That fountain is really neat, and if I didn't know it, I never would have guessed the base was a gas tank. Very creative! I think I see a different kind of birdbath coming to my yard this summer. The heavy base would be just right to balance it. Thanks for the picture!

The guy at the craft fair had made some really beautiful iron sculptures. He had some sunflowers that were over 6 feet tall, and had also made a divider panel with a very intricate floral design that was just beautiful. He definately had some talent with the welder!

• tehuti
    16 years ago

sherri, do you have any other pictures? I'm always interested in what's out there. You could email them to me at rcm@robertsbackyard.com
    A 6' sunflower sounds neat. I'm planning a Giant Saquaro Cactus from rebar and some sort of cement mix. At 8' it would be extremely heavy.

Robert

• sherril_2008
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Sorry but I do not. I thought the pig was cute, and took the picture to 'remind' my husband of his project, which hasn't worked so far. :0)

The artist is here every summer though, so I will keep your request in mind and see if I can get pictures later on. They have the craft fair on the holidays here - Memorial Day, 4th of July & Labor Day. He really does some beautiful work!

Sherril

• emtnest
    16 years ago

Robert, and anyone else who would like to can go to gardenjunk.org and look at the pics in the metals photo gallery.

• luna_llena_feliz
    16 years ago

For some reason, that pig reminds me of a bear. Maybe it is the little toes. lol! I would think propane tanks would be dangerous to cut into. I've watched enough King of the Hill shows to know that. I wonder what sort of tank that could be.

• sherril_2008
    Original Author
    16 years ago

emtnest - Thanks for the heads up on the propane tanks!

I guess I will just buy one at the next craft fair, probably a much better idea than having to replace the garage!

• amanda_glover71_hotmail_com
    12 years ago

I make propane tank pigs and 10foot tall flowers from ironing boards, also metal people, terminator, jewelry, anything metal really. I'm going to be selling my art at the haliburton art show this summer in haliburton july 22nd, 23rd, and 24th.

• Andre Beluchi
    8 years ago

Looking at that propane gas reminds me of what I can do for my next barbecue party. My idea is to cook pizza inside of a dutch oven and over a fire pit that's run by propane gas. It's an idea that I came up with after seeing various cooking channels. http://www.wadesalesandservice.com/propane-service 

Sponsored