Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
susiewantsroses

Repurpose Old Gazebo Frame

susiewantsroses
15 years ago

There are some folks that do not know what to do with their gazebo when the canvas is riped off by the wind. We bought one last summer and primed and painted it white and put lattice around it to plant climbing roses on. Now I'm seeing them on FREECYCLE. When people move they think they should discard the empty frame. Here is ours in the process of coming together.

{{gwi:131576}}

Here is the imagined dream setting I found. This pic inspires me to push on forward. Just add climbing roses and this is what I can see in the future. I ordered the roses last night. Now just wait 3 years and we will see what happens. LOL

{{gwi:77596}}

Comments (13)

• daisydal
    15 years ago

Oh, that IS a dreamy pic, Susie! You and hubs done a wonderful job on your gazebo frame! Isn't it amazing what people throw away!!?? You are one patient woman,though, I would hafta go get some "instant gratification roses"!LOL!!
    blessings-sherri

• Marlene Kindred
    15 years ago

Susie~
    Love your dream picture! You could certainly add the toole curtains to you gazebo if you wanted them...you're such a wiz at being creative, I know it would look just great!

• smickerdoodle
    15 years ago

That is so pretty. I think while I waited for the roses to grow I would plant morning glories or some other annual that could climb up the sides...

• leveta
    15 years ago

I love the romance of it...dI can hear the violins and klinking of glasses...lol

• TwoMonths
    15 years ago

Oh susie, you are such a romantic...love it. I have a large piece of tulle that may have been a bed canopy and I was thinking about using it on my master bedroom patio area. Even tho there is no master anymore, lol. I still like girly things to remind me I am a lady. I have some of the corners from a neighbor but I have not decided where to use. We have some of the white trellis on our fence that is painted blue....looks good. Luv Yours.

• goldenpond
    15 years ago

Lovely photos. I see alot of those after hurricanes down here.
    Minus the canvas that is

• katishooked
    15 years ago

what a beautiful patio gazebo you have. The flowers will make it even more special.

• sweetkountry
    15 years ago

Love the look of the gazebo that you have repurposed. I have considered doing this if I could find a gazebo that is. How did you connect the trellis to the gazebo frame? And is the bottom buried in the soil or how do you keep it from blowing over?

• emtnest
    15 years ago

Hey Susie,
    I spotted something in your pile in back of pic of gazebo...those cinderblocks!!! I added a cinderblock plantstand into your dreamy pic...hehehe... you could have something like it in your new one!!!
    http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s242/emtnest/dream.jpg

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:131575}}

• User
    15 years ago

Hmmm, I have an old netting bed canopy like what you show in your photo. It is in a drawer tied up to keep from having to untangle it AGAIN when I get ready to hang it.

But this idea for an outdoor gazebo or pergola is absolutely a FINE idea. It is also romantic. The netting turned loose would serve as a proper mosquito netting for outdoor occasions on soft summer evenings.

What I have to do is get a proper frame...the reason the canopy is in a drawer is because the canopy bed frame I made from bamboo lashed together, sort of FELL one night, to the chagrin of my new hubby and myself, and to the amusement of our neighbors who saw the collapse next morning. I still think the bamboo is a good idea.

• susiewantsroses
    Original Author
    15 years ago

SweetKountry- First we put in the brick patio. The gazebo frame had an open runner crevase that curtain slides were sunk in. The lattice fit perfectly into the crevase at the top. The lattice is vinyl and they make vinyl trim edging that incases the sides. We used some sheet metal screws, L-brackets, and vinyl zip ties. The bottom of the lattice is encased in a double brick edging. Then we built brick boxes where the climbing roses will be planted.
    emtnest- Cool graphics! We have lots of stacks of bricks and blocks because of all of the projects we have planned. We collect materials from Craigslist and Freecycle and reuse them when that part of the project is ready.
    moccasin- You roudy girl you. Bamboo is strong but will not last as long as metal. The bamboo poles would have to be cemented in somehow. The bed sized canopy probaby would not be 100% effective because these Gazebos are pretty large. However the ambience is really cool. I have one over my master bath jacuzzi.
    Thank you for all of your kind comments. Susie

• Nadine Sinada
    9 months ago

Susie,
    I know this post is old but the images aren’t available anymore and just show up as image codes. If you still have pics can you repost the pics please?
    Thanks.
    Nadine

• sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish)
    last month
    last modified: last month

I have 2 old steel gazebo frames that the coverings have rotted off. I'm not buying anymore coverings because in FL they mold and rot too fast in the sun & salt air.

The lattice idea sounds really nice! The vinyl type (plastic?) would be lightweight and easy to wire onto the frames..heck, I could even zip tie it lol. Good ideas you guys.

One is 12x14 and the other is 10x12, I think.

I am thinking of putting a jacuzzi in the larger one. I could put lattice and fairy lights on it. Then grow moonvines on it that would be fragrant and open at night! I think some white butterfly ginger would be nice and fragrant at the doorways. I have Night Blooming Jasmine and Indian Night Jasmine. Also some Sambac jasmine varieties. Maybe some climbing roses too.

Still thinking of ideas for the other one (10x12)

I also have 2 old 10x20 steel carport frames, like the kind you buy at Home Depot or Lowes etc.

No more coverings on those either. I used to use them for greenhouses (wrap plastic over them). Now I'm dreaming up other ideas since we are finally building a proper greenhouse lol.

Sponsored
Innovative & Creative General Contractors Servicing Franklin County