Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bookjunky4life

Ceiling fan, pallets, washer/dryer

bookjunky4life
12 years ago

I saved our old ceiling fan that we replaced when we remodeled our front room. I thought I would replace the blades with something weather resistant that would catch the wind and spin. I am going to strip all the extra parts off and just leave the housing and the blade arms. Any ideas?

Also, I need photos of things I can build with old pallets. Dozens of them are laying around the farm and the FIL says I can have as many as I want. I'm thinking I want a small white decorative picket fence for my flower gardens.

Also, I have 2 washers and 1 dryer to play with. I will use the bins for planters, but other ideas for the panels?

Comments (16)

• chaparralgirl
    12 years ago

BJ4L: Have you done a Google search for "upcycle wood pallets"? You'll be amazed at what you'll find. (If only I had the time, tools, and talent to do any of those projects...)

*CG*

• rangerdon
    12 years ago

Bookie, washers, dryers & ranges make great bases for a work bench. Ranges are the best, but removing the front plate makes it possible to put in shelves on the others as well.
    Don

• chelcass
    12 years ago

I was just on Pinterest and they have a nice pallet daybed. Might be worth checking out.

• jeannespines
    12 years ago

Here's a link to the Garden Junk Inspiration Album ...'Wood Creations' ...know I've seen wood pallet used in potting & garden benches...a fence would be cool!

The big drum from washer has been used as a 'planter' on the GJ forum here ...don't know if you use search if it will pop up or not.

Great recycling! Have fun! Jeanne S.

Here is a link that might be useful: Inspirational Album Wood Creations

• oldcrafty
    12 years ago

A few years ago I took on an overwhelming project to re-cycle old fence boards and pallets. My DH thought I was crazy, especially since I never built a piece of furniture before! With all said and done this is my finished project. The only saw I had at that time was a jig saw, thankgoodness I have more tools now!

{{gwi:131579}}

I took this pic with 2 different cameras and both gave my yellowish pics.?!?!?!? 80% of this is pallets, originally where the lighted display for my DH collectables is now it was all open and housed an aquarium. It's gone and I have made a plexiglass(safe for grandkids) front to keep little hands out and dust free. The closed in area at the top center is a lift up door to store DVD's It is 6 feet tall, 7 feet long and 2 1/2 feet deep. It IS big. I know this is not "garden junk" but it does give you an idea as to what pallets can be used for.

• bookjunky4life
    Original Author
    12 years ago

That is awesome!

• jeannespines
    12 years ago

Great pallet recycling on that tv center project!

• concretenprimroses
    12 years ago

Wonderful!
    Kathy

• sorie6 zone 6b
    12 years ago

I've seen flowers made with the fan blades. Wouldn't it be fun to see them spinning? Great idea you have.
    Great recycling oldcrafty!!! Also love your little heater. Boy the brings back memories! TFS.

• tn_gardening
    12 years ago

I've got to figure out how to imbed photos on this site.

I've used pallets to make:
    potting bench
    compost bin
    container boxes
    chicken coop

I'm seriously thinking about filling a pallet with dirt/garden soil and trying to grow strawberries and/or herbs in it (saw something on the internet called a balcony pallet planter)

I've also seen photos of folks that lined their garden paths with pallets. Made for a nice walkway (and allowed them to vermi-compost below the pallets)

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:131295}}

• bookjunky4life
    Original Author
    12 years ago

tn_gardening: do you have a photo of your chicken coop. I am getting ready to need a coop and it would be cool to have a visual to go by when building it. I probably have a few dozen pallets at my disposal right now (some in good shape, some so-so).

• tn_gardening
    12 years ago

Paint n trim covers a lot of poor carpentry :-)

It's not 100% pallet boards, but lots of pallet wood went in to this.

I disassembled a few pallets and used the 2'x4's & 1'x3's for framing. We did buy one piece of T1-11 siding (approx $20)to cover our hen house portion so it would look more presentable.

The paint is 'oops' paint that we got for next to nothin (nobody knows or cares that the backside is a slightly different shade of gray than the front and that the inside is a pale yellow)

We have 4 chickens and have enjoyed them thoroughly.

I can't figure out how to get the photos to show up in my reply, but a link can be found below.

Here is a link that might be useful: chicken coop

• bookjunky4life
    Original Author
    12 years ago

You embed a photo by clicking on the HTML link under the photo in your photobucket album and copy/pasting it into your message here. Your link above just links to photobucket.com.

• tn_gardening
    12 years ago

Thanks bookjunky

{{gwi:131580}}

• jeannespines
    12 years ago

Wonderful coop, tn! Nice recycling & I'm sure your chicks are live heavenly here! Jeanne S.

• negirl69
    12 years ago

Awesome ideas everyone:)