Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dobra1629

Pappasan planter

dobra1629
15 years ago

Hello everyone. I am preparing for this spring so I am really getting my "garden junk" together. I have a question about a pappasan that someone made into a planter and would love to know what materials were used to complete it. The person that posted it was KinTheGardenGuy and I have not gotten an answer from him. I have a pappasan that I was going to throw away but would love to make a planter out of it. I am wondering if regular window screen would work to keep the soil in but I also wonder how long the screen would hold up under the weight of the soil. Any suggestions?

Thanks

Dorothy

Comments (12)

• kacram
    15 years ago

here is a tutorial...

just for fun, check out this papasan chair use! lol
    http://www.appropedia.org/Papasan_Chair_Solar_Cooker

Here is a link that might be useful: papasan chair planter

• susiewantsroses
    15 years ago

I have used weed cloth for similar projects. Screen plus weed cloth should give you good results. The more expensive beautiful way is to buy sheet moss on ebay in quantity and line the basket with that. I am unfamiliar with the TheGardenGuy's creation because I am realitively new.

Susie

• garden2garden
    15 years ago

Hi Dorothy, I'm not Kin but I don't see why window screen wouldn't work just fine. That's a lot of dirt in a pappasan chair, but it's pretty much supported by the chair it's self. I used to use it in the bottoms of my potted plants. The metal screen lasts forever, the nylon (or whatever it is) lasts a couple years until it starts to break down being damp all the time.
    Donna

• dobra1629
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Wow, did I come to the right place or what! Kat wa that is exactly what I was looking for. I am going to do this with the double papasan. I think it is called a mamasan. After seeing those I think I may have to talk my husband into giving up the other one too. Thank you all so much!

Dorothy

• dkline_2008
    15 years ago

Oh my, I like that!! I"m gonna have to post on freecycle for old papason chairs. LOL
    Deb

• nmgirl
    15 years ago

I have used weed barrier fabric and window screen in projects. Both have positive (+) and negative (-) aspects.
    This is what I have found to be true in my projects:
    Weed barrier fabric:

Works very well especially with fine or loose soils
    Lasts a long time
    Easy to cut and work with
    Fairly cheap, I have a Sam's club roll
    -
    Holes in fabric may clog over time causing drainage problems
    Can be $$$$ if purchased in small amounts
    Black fabric can look unsightly to some if not camouflaged or covered somehow

Window screen

Drains better than weed fabric, best for succulents and cactus
    Last quite awhile but not as long as weed fabric in my experience
    Easy to cut and work with
    Easy to find in large amounts
    Fairly inexpensive
    -
    Large openings in screen can be a problem with loose or sandy soil
    Breaks down quicker with exposure to sunlight or constant moisture
    Soil dries out more quickly than with fabric, which I suppose can be + or -
    Roots can grow thing screen making planter look "hairy" and causing plant stress, of course by the time you get to this point you need to repot anyway.

To me it's a toss up. I have the weed barrier for other projects so I use it. If I had screen I'd probably use that.
    It's good either way.
    Good luck and be sure to post photos!

• dobra1629
    Original Author
    15 years ago

nmgirl, do you think using both would be overkill? I do have enough of both weed fabric and screening.

Dorothy

• jeannespines
    15 years ago

Oh, boy! Kat-wa...thanks for posting that link! I absolutely LOVE the papasan planter! I am on the look-out now for a cheap or free-bie!

Dobra, so glad you posted your question about this! Lookin' forward to a new Spring project! Jeanne S.

• nmgirl
    15 years ago

dobra1629,
    I think both would be overkill.
    If I was in your shoes I would decide which to use by deciding what type of plant I was wanting in my planter. And you do have to empty and replant containers occasionally so you could replace whatever you decide to use at that time.
    But that's just me........
    Let us know what you decide and send photos. We're photo junkies around here!

• little_dani
    15 years ago

We used a papasan chair to make a hanging basket about 5 years ago. We lined it with chicken wire, then used long cut spagnum moss to line the basket to hold the soil. We planted it with a variety of ferns, and hung it in a big old pecan tree in our yard. The chain is about 14' long, and the basket hangs close to the ground. We didn't want anything that big falling on anyone.

Anyway, the big basket would sway gently in the breezes, and my DH took great pleasure in watching it. The basket lasted about 4 years, my DH built a big iron basket to replace it last year.

I've left you a link to see it.

Janie

Here is a link that might be useful: Hanging papasan chair basket

• tennesseetrash
    15 years ago

I have passed up so many of those chairs at yard sales, now I know what to do with one of them! Can't wait to find another one ... thanks! ~tenderlee

• laurastheme
    15 years ago

I have ever seen one of these. Now I'm going to be on the hunt for one!!

Sponsored
Wannemacher Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Customized Award-Winning Interior Design Solutions in Columbus, OH