Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kirkus_gw

Insulators in the Garden

kirkus
13 years ago

I just bought these candle holders at our local thrift store. Everything was 50% off! I paid $1.50 for these! Aren't they cool? The rounded tops of the insulators were sawed off. Then the insulators were flipped over to make the candle holders. Wish I had the tools to make these! Too cool! I thought they would look nice on the patio table this summer. :o)

{{gwi:131751}}

I started thinking about other ways I've used insulators. My wife and I made hanging insulator candle holders for the garden. I've attached the insulators to the tops on arbors. I've seen people use them as hose guides. What other ways have you used glass insulators? I'm always inspired by the creatiuve minds on our forum! Bear Hugs! Kirk

{{gwi:131752}}

{{gwi:131753}}

Comments (17)

• Marlene Kindred
    13 years ago

Very cool...we used one on top of our bird feeder as a finial.

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:131748}}

• marylee_2010
    13 years ago

Kirk - I wanted to remark how nice the insulators looked on your arbor when you showed us your windchime but I couldn't remember what they were called. Old age plays havoc with the memory. I like your hanging candle holder too. Thank you for sharing. Marylee

• garden-potter
    13 years ago

I don't have any but I now wish I would have picked-up every one I saw and I would have had enough to line a flower bed or walkway. Oh well, I suppose it's not too late to start, right?
    The green insulators on the white arbor really pop! Nice!

• sunnyca_gw
    13 years ago

Very cool candle holders!! So do they have a hole in the bottoms? I like your hanging insulator candle too. That blueish kettle or whatever it is behind the insulators sure looks interesting, is it a new treasure? What is it pottery or metal ?? Jan

• concretenprimroses
    13 years ago

I have a bunch of green insulators just waiting to be used. I picked up a box of about a dozen at a yard sale, then a friend gave me some unusual shaped ones. Love them on the arbor and bird feeder. I was thinking of using some on top of totems, but I haven't done it yet.
    I'd love to see more pics of how others have used them.
    Kathy

• jeannespines
    13 years ago

kirk...that is a cool idea for candleholders...definitely won't go anywhere in the wind!

I've used about 4 of them for hose guides right on the ground (idea from this forum) using a tent stake & putting insulator over it...it's worked good when you have a 100' hose drug out...plus I just leave them out in winter...no problems so far.

This pic is how I used them for decor in the house but I imagine could use on porch or patio ...mini-lights underneath...DH cut blocks of wood...I stained & added metal nametag holders...could use battery lights:

{{gwi:131754}}

Fun ideas ...I think they would be cool in totems somehow, too! Jeanne S.

• leveta
    13 years ago

Jeanne the lighted ones are beautiful...

• kirkus
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for the nice compliments! Love all of your ideas!!!!!

Jan, no hole in the bottom of the insulator candle holders. The green pot is a handmade, pottery soup pot. I took the picture inside on our dining room hutch. We collect local pottery items. :o)

Bear Hugs! Kirk

• aquawise
    13 years ago

I just turned them into little people. My grand kids call them the sinisters. Found a box of larger one last fall at a yard sale. HUMmmmmmm what to make of them.?

Here is a link that might be useful: yard art

• concretenprimroses
    13 years ago

Your sinisters are great aqua! Love your tool mail box too, what a great idea. What did you paint the glass with and how has it been out doors?

Seeing the sinisters, it strikes me that they would be great pawns in a garden/outdoor chess game. Or insulators could be used for outdoor checker pieces, if you have 2 colors so much the better.

Kathy

• jeannespines
    13 years ago

crete...I looked at the "sinisters," too...& that was my first thought before I read your post...great "pawns!" LOL! Nice painting, aquawise! TFS! Jeanne S.

• Calamity_J
    13 years ago

I have used my tile(wet)saw to cut bottles, I bet it would work on those insulators! I have also used the saw to cut toilet shards!lol! (Those old 70's colored toilets)when I was working on my Throne idea.

• sherril_2008
    13 years ago

My insulator 'toadstools'
    Cut 1"X1" wood peg, painted them green then screwed the insulators onto the pegs. We left them squared off, but could round them if you prefer. Once assembled, we just poked them into the ground in a cluster. They've been in the same spot for going on 3 years now. I love them!
    I'll try to post a picture, haven't been on here in a very long while. Hope I remember how!!

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:131750}}

• kirkus
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I love everyone's ideas! This is an inspiring thread! Sherril, what a neat idea to place them together as toadstools! I'm going to have to borrow that idea! :o)

• aquawise
    13 years ago

I had to find a primer that was made for glass. them I just used spray paint and hand painted the rest.So far they have held up great. I like the chess Idea.

• calicocat1967
    13 years ago

Sherril---I love your whimsical artwork with the insulators. I am a fan of odd and unusual in the garden. Can't wait for the snow to melt so we can see more !!!

Kim

• lilycrazy
    12 years ago

very cool !!!! I love the hanging candleholder. I used to have several i glued onto old curtain rods and used them as stakes in the flower gardens. Not sure whatever happened to those !!

Sponsored
M&Z Home Services LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Established Home Remodeling Expert Since 2012