Return to the Garden Junk Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Lady Bugs & a Bumble Bee

Posted by mommyandme2 10 (My Page) on
Thu, Feb 16, 12 at 15:48

I bought this "item" at a GW store for 75 cents.
lady bug candleholder
I have no idea what it is supposed to be. The glass jar is tiny and has no drainage so you can't grow a plant in it. The glass jar is round on the bottom so you can't set a votive candle in it. It's a strange looking piece, but I bought it for the lady bugs. I had to cut them off with a bolt cutter. Here they are all dressed up.
Photobucket
Take another look at the first picture & imagine it without the glass jar & the lady bugs. I laid it on its side & I saw the beginnings of a bumble bee. I attached some strips of aluminum flashing to form the rear end, covered the body with black & yellow wires and created some wings. I added a couple of beads where the lady bugs used to be. The face is the bottom of a soda can. I attached orange beads for eyes. Unfortunately, they don't really show up on the black face. When I find beads that I think will work better, I'll replace them. Here is the finished bumble bee.
Photobucket
It's not the best picture, I'm afraid, but I think you'll get the idea.

--- Laura

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Lady Bugs & a Bumble Bee

Love those little lady bugs. They look absolutely charming with the coat of paint stuck on your fence.

o

I love the lady bugs too! So cute! Since I'm allergic to bees, they don't appeal to me too much but that was a great way to use up rest of the metal.Jan

o

Laura, Love the lady bugs too. You are certainly very creative to see a bumble bee after you removed the black lady bugs. I see you have made some flowers from pop cans. I am going to try that. Thanks for sharing.

Marylee

o

I probably should have taken some step-by-step pictures as I made the framework into a bumble bee. It was a difficult process for me & I actually had to take it all apart & start over. I can follow step-by-step directions, if they are clear, but creating something on my own took a heck of a lot of trial-and-error. Even though I didn't get a very good final photo, I'm pretty proud of my results.
Marylee: Yes, most of my garden, except for some cactus & a morning glory vine, is made of soda cans. --- Laura

o

Cute ladybugs...I'm sure they're much happier in their new paint and bling! You must have an endless supply of wire and sundries.....you come up with the biggest variety of bug wings I've ever seen.

o

Very cute lady bugs. Great re uses of an odd piece.
Kathy

o

very creative uses now you can use the glass part as a mushroom just a suggestion I posted earlier but don't see it

o

I didn't think of using the glass as a mushroom top. I'll have to look for it & see what I can do !

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Junk Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here