Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nmgirl_gw

My latest yard art

nmgirl
13 years ago

I kept walking past this lamp at Savers, it had been there for months. Every time I went junking there I'd wind up standing in front of the thing and staring at it. Then I'd walk away thinking, "if it's there next time I'll buy it." I finally gave in and brought it home.

{{gwi:131813}} {{gwi:131814}} These hooks on it kept intriguing me. And I loved the glass face on the top. {{gwi:131815}}

Removed the old wiring, cleaned it up and gave it a fresh coat of paint.{{gwi:131816}}

I couldn't decide what to hang on the hooks or to even keep them so the poor thing was stuck in the garage for awhile. Until I found these.

{{gwi:131817}} Oh yeah, now we're getting somewhere!

Ran them through the dishwasher and still has to scrub off the pricing. Drilled a hole in them, scrounged around and found some black coated wire. Attached them to the frame and here's the result.

{{gwi:131819}} A couple of different views. {{gwi:131820}}

I'm happy with it. If I did the math right the total cost was about $12.00. Not bad at all.

What do y'all think?

Comments (17)

• mjowest
    13 years ago

Love your grass! lol- counting the days to green over here, also...

That is really cool! it was a lamp? I love it when I can think through a purchase for a few trips like that, without anyone buying it!

• marylee_2010
    13 years ago

That is really awesome. I am so glad you kept after it until you decided to get it. You have one of a kind. Thank you for sharing. - Marylee

• jeannespines
    13 years ago

I love the "face" of the lamp & am also lovin' the plates (or whatever they were in former life) that you added! Now I'm not sure if you're "done" w/the pc! I think it may need more....ummmm...stars or moons? Interesting & a great find! I love the pic where you stood it in front of the dried grasses! Gave it the depth it needed!

That "face" reminded me of this one I bought...that ended up being added to the blue bottle fence...isn't it fun to give new purpose to things! LOL! TFS, nmgirl! Jeanne S.

{{gwi:131821}}

• sweetkountry
    13 years ago

If the pricing is done in marker, try spraying it with hairspray. Sounds weird but it really works. I have even gotten the marker off of plastic with very little effort. One or two little pumps and the marker lifts right off.

• sunnyca_gw
    13 years ago

I think it will look great in the garden especially around some greenery. If hairspray doesn't get off the markers try WD40 it does a good job on most of stuff I get from TS. Jan

• puggranny
    13 years ago

I love it!!! Perfect!! You did a great job

• concretenprimroses
    13 years ago

Very nice. the plates are a great addition.
    Kathy

• luna_llena_feliz
    13 years ago

Awesome find and awesome reuse of it! Love it!

• nmgirl
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hairspray and WD40? That's why I love this forum, you can always learn something.
    I like the piece in front of the grass too but we're currently under a high wind warning, are coming into Spring (more high winds) and that side of the house gets hammered when it blows. So after things calm down in about 6 weeks (at least) the piece will probably live by the grass. BTW: in case you're interested the grass is Muhlenbergia rigens, it's just a baby, only a year old.
    My DH even likes the piece. He's usually very...tolerant but not enthusiastic but he carted it around the yard for me so I could take the pictures. He thinks it looks good by the grass too. Wow.

• excessfroufrou
    13 years ago

That is one fantastic piece of garden art. I love the plates on there. What I don't understand was how it was a lamp before, where was the light?
    Frou

• dollydee
    13 years ago

That is soooo very cool :)

Glad you kept your eye on it and love the additions to it...great job!!!

• Marlene Kindred
    13 years ago

Great job! It looks so much better as a piece of garden art than a lamp! Love the sun face and the glass pieces that you added...great find.

Oh, and PAM does wonders removing everything from stickers to wax pencil....and it even stops squeaky doors!!

• nmgirl
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hairspray, WD40 and PAM. Makes you wonder about using it for cooking.
    The PAM, not the WD40.

Frou: the light bulb was screwed into the socket that was sticking up behind the glass top piece. I can't imagine how it looked. Oh yes I can. Ugly.

• laurastheme
    13 years ago

Absolutely gorgeous!! The plates really set off. Great job!

• kirkus
    13 years ago

I have meant to comment on this since you first posted! LOVE IT!!!! What a find! I gotta get to Value Village (like Savers) more often and explore. I love what you did to your find! Thanks for inspiring! Bear Hugs! Kirk

• mjowest
    13 years ago

Mr clean eraser works well on permanent marker, also!

• azcactusflower
    13 years ago

Beautiful piece of yard artwork. Must look really nice when the sun shines through it. VERY creative idea.