Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cindee11461

new blue hanging totem

cindee11461
17 years ago

I could hardly wait to get home today to take a picture of this and get it posted(-: I think this is my new favorite one(-:

{{gwi:131844}}

Comments (13)

• dustyknees
    17 years ago

is that a light bulb at the bottom?

• cindee11461
    Original Author
    17 years ago

no its a glass bubble. You buy them at WM. They come in blue/green and clear.

• mayme
    17 years ago

That is so pretty. Can you tell me again how you anchor the top? Do you drill a hole in the vase or is it just glued? thanks, Mayme

• cindee11461
    Original Author
    17 years ago

on this one I drilled holes in the vase and the clear glass plate and also I glued the plate down to the top of the vase so it would be extra secure(-:

• katladie
    17 years ago

Cindee, how about some tips on drilling the glass, what type of drill do you use and what type of bit. Is it hard to do?

Sharon

• gardener64
    17 years ago

Very nice, love anything blue, a hanging totem? thats a differeent twist on them, thanks for sharing
    also just went thru your homepage great gardens, can I adopt your brother?

• cindee11461
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I am sure you can adopt him(-: He loves to weld and create cool things. He gave me a peace flower for my bday and I haven't gotten a pic for it yet but I will post a pic he took. I am going to put it in the yard and plant some pretty flowers in the bomb(-: He does have a sense of humor hopefully no one takes offense. I thought it was pretty funny myself(-:
    {{gwi:131845}}

• neetsiepie
    17 years ago

I really like your hanging totems. With the cost of copper pipe these days, this is a nice alternative.

I drill a lot of glass, and I use the Black & Decker Glass & Tile bits. I also found that using a drop or two of vegetable oil makes the drilling go faster and keeps the bits sharper longer.

Also, I use an 18Volt drill, it works better than the 14.4 volt I used to have.

• cindee11461
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I use a black and decker cordless drill, its 18 volt also and I bought a small glass drill bit at Sears. I just sit and drill and relax cuz it takes a while to do it.(about 15 mins to drill through the vase) I also found that the thinner the glass the better chance you have that it doesn't crack. The thick heavy glass vases don't work as well. I don't push down hard either I just hold the drill in place and drill away. Basically the glass turns to powder and I just dump the powder every so often and continue drilling.I really think this is a fun craft to do. Drilling isn't hard it just takes time and it does allow you to make different things. (-:

• crackpotannie
    17 years ago

what type of glue do you use...thee are beautiful annie

• nonacook
    17 years ago

Blue glass AND rusty stuff!!!
    My favorite things!

• texaswild
    17 years ago

Just LOVE those hanging totems. I imagine those w/be the latest in garden stuff this spring. Absolutely love the rusty stuff too. Nice that you have support in the family for your hobby.

• Calamity_J
    17 years ago

Gotta love the cobalt blue! And DH peace flowers! Did you say that is a bomb!? Too funny, actually I took one look at it and thought hey, that would look cool with glass glued to it!!! Ahhh, to have a welderman at my disposal....Lucky Duck!!!

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus