Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jeannespines

Herb Plant Markers from Old Silverware

jeannespines
15 years ago

I just finished up 5 old silverware plant markers to use when I pot herbs later in the Spring.

Saw this idea in an old painting book...so I added some old jewelry & beads for accents...also half marbles to the silverware (5 for $1 @ TS). Used outdoor paint & a paint pen on the silverware.

Butterflies are GS earrings...LOL!

{{gwi:131866}}

Here they are lying flat on my computer room curtain:

{{gwi:131867}}

Used some old stainless steel wire for wrapping:

{{gwi:131868}}

Of course, I think they will look much nicer stuck in the dirt in my plant pots...COME ON, SPRING! Jeanne S.

Comments (33)

• nmgirl
    15 years ago

Fantastic, what a neat idea! I'm going to have to make some of these. Thanks for posting.

• susiewantsroses
    15 years ago

Wow, Wow, and Wow!!! They will look great in your herb pots. I love the patina on the handles. The wire and beads are truly artistic. SUPER! Susie

• Marlene Kindred
    15 years ago

What a GREAT idea! Love the wonderful color and all of your decorations on them!!! Ooooohhhh...I may have to "borrow" this idea too!

• susiesunshine
    15 years ago

W O W !!!!!!!!!!!! Cool Idea !!!
    Thanks for sharing the pics & the Ideas !
    You did a Great job....
    they Look Fantastic !!!!!!!
    God Bless Your little Hearts !
    SusieSunshine

• luna_llena_feliz
    15 years ago

Great job, Jeanne S.! What a great idea for markers. That might be something even I could borrow (with my tiny balcony)!

• cindee11461
    15 years ago

Those are so cute. I love them!!!!

• daisydal
    15 years ago

Jeanne, those are fantastic! Love all the neat little touches you added to them, and those little butterfly earrings, what a great idea! Can't wait until you get to use them in your herbs!
    blessings-sherri

• concretenprimroses
    15 years ago

Fantastic!
    kathy

• sunnyca_gw
    15 years ago

Great idea, they look antique! What color green did you use? I suppose stainless steel wire is available at Home Depot. Don't know what gauge do you? I'm thinking about 18. 20 I can bend easily with my hand so think it's a little too light.Love the jewelry & the matching marble! That really makes it look expensive! Jan

• laurastheme
    15 years ago

What a great idea. I'm going to run into a thrift store real soon. I've been trying to decide what I want to use for plant markers. This is it.

• use2bcapecodr
    15 years ago

Jeanne, those are really great!! Very clever and unusual! I think I need some!!

Are the butterflies also wired on?

~Sandy~

• jeannespines
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks, GJers...a fun project!

sunnyca...I used Folkart Outdoor Metallic Silver Sterling on the handles first, then Folkart Outdoor "Grass Green" and "Thicket"...small 2 fl oz bottles.

Wire gauge...I don't know cause it's some salvaged wire that is very old..can't read can label anymore...something stainless steel..National Standard Company, "safety lock wire"...who knows?...but it's very bend-able by hand & worked good.

capecdr..those butterfly earrings would have covered my whole ear (I think) LOL...drilled a hole in wing so I could wire them on...other broken jewelry had small holes already..used glass beads.

Have fun! Jeanne S.

• katishooked
    15 years ago

These just are toooo special. Wonderful idea.

• TwoMonths
    15 years ago

cool. I saw one a few months ago that was just a fork pushed in the they put the name on a card thru the prongs. It was an inside plant tho.

• tennesseetrash
    15 years ago

Soooooo pretty and useful too! ~tenderlee

• sunnyca_gw
    15 years ago

Thanks Jeanne for the info!! I'm taking pic to show GF at club tomorrow!! I already have all the supplies except wire so that is great!! Jan

• kirkus
    15 years ago

Your creativity is endless, Jeanne! You should have your own shop or internet store! I love these! Thanks for sharing and inspiring once again! Bear Hugs! Kirk

• akup_a
    15 years ago

I love your bling plant markers! I've had those old, wide butter knives stuck in my pots for tilling the soil but never thought about "blinging them up"! Very clever creation.
    Vickie

• rhubarb_stalker
    13 years ago

Jeanne, I was unable to see the images you posted. Would it be possible for you to upload them again? Many thanks.

• sprout_wi
    13 years ago

Same here!! I am salivating over the comments. I am in great need of plant markers. Pleaseeeeee?
    -Sprout

• jeannespines
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Sure, I moved some of my pics into albums & so they disappeared, but here they are...they're fun to make & I'm happy to say I just SCORED (7) more knives at GW the other day ...at a price of 2 for 25 cts! So I'm making more to mark where I've planted Elephant Ears & Canna's ...cause they're so slow to come up! Hope you enjoy! Have fun creatin' some! Jeanne S.

{{gwi:131869}}

{{gwi:131870}}

{{gwi:131871}}

• mmebrady
    13 years ago

I love them!!! Very cool! They'd fit right in with my "herbal tea pots"!

• luna_llena_feliz
    13 years ago

Thanks so much for posting these again Jeanne! I forgot how beautiful they are. And what a simple but wonderful idea! I might just have to steal it. lol

• sprout_wi
    13 years ago

These are amazing Jeanne, thanks for posting them. Is it tricky to wrap? I've never done that. Your stones are unique, as well. Love the vintage look. Any special requirements as to paint and glue? Is the plant name written on with a marker. Sorry for all the questions - I just LOVE these!!
    Thanks a bunch!!
    -Sprout

• jeannespines
    Original Author
    13 years ago

sprout...I now use a paint pen for writing the names...I've tried those black soft-leaded pencils sold for that purpose to use on metal markers but they fade so quickly. The paints are small bottles of acrylic "outdoor" or "Patio" paints. I wrote earlier in this post so this info below may help...was easy to use the wire & I just used those decorative half glass marble thing-ies that GJer's use on bowling balls & other projects around here. Try one, they're fun! Jeanne S.

..."I used Folkart Outdoor Metallic Silver Sterling on the handles first, then Folkart Outdoor "Grass Green" and "Thicket"...small 2 fl oz bottles."

"Wire gauge...I don't know cause it's some salvaged wire that is very old..can't read can label anymore...something stainless steel..National Standard Company, "safety lock wire"...who knows?...but it's very bend-able by hand & worked good."

• sprout_wi
    13 years ago

Thanks, Jeannespines - I appreciate all the great information.
    -Sprout

• sunnyca_gw
    13 years ago

I used 20 gauge gold colored wire, could use stainless steel or aluminum wire if you want it to stay same color as when it goes on. I've got several made just need to take a pic. Added beads & some jewelry pieces to couple, it was fun. Not sure I can post pics right now, month of little sleep but dad is going to rehab place tomorrow so he can walk better & further. Talks fine & can eat well. Rehab is close, about a mile from home so hope I get to get back to doing some projects soon. Jan

• briergardener_gw
    13 years ago

Jenniespines,
    What paint pen did you use to write on silverware? How long it will stay outside?

• jeannespines
    Original Author
    13 years ago

brier...I bought "paint.marker" fine tip from Hobby Lobby...they sell for $2.99 but I usually use a 40% off coupon & they last a long time! This brand is "tree house studio." I left the silverware out over the winter where I plant Elephant Ears & Canna's (marks the spot because they are so slow to come up) & the writing has lasted a couple yrs now on them...just saw one out there today).
    Good luck! Jeanne S.

• briergardener_gw
    13 years ago

Thank you, Jeanne.
    I'll try to find it.
    You did not cover silverware with some kind of preservative after you have written on it with this marker?

• jeannespines
    Original Author
    13 years ago

No ...I didn't use anything on top of the paint pen...here's a pic of some replacement markers for some lilies last summer & they've been out all winter & I just ckd today & they look good yet. These were made from "skewters" & some left over roof flashing metal...the paint.marker has lasted the best for me. Jeanne S.

{{gwi:131872}}

• briergardener_gw
    13 years ago

Thank you, Jeannie,
    You are so creative. I have leftover of roof flashing and nice plastic chop sticks. Will steal your idea.
    Thank you

• JohnAGardener1
    12 years ago

Nice marker. That is a very creative idea.

Here is a link that might be useful: Nicki

Sponsored
Land & Water Design
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
VA's Modern & Intentional Outdoor Living Spaces | 16x Best of Houzz