Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lucillle

Pink Flamingoes

lucillle
10 years ago

I'm getting 10 to spruce up the veggie garden a bit:)
I have the lawn geese in front, and get positive comments on them from time to time. At least the flamingoes don't need to be dressed.

Comments (23)

• garden2garden
    10 years ago

Sounds like a great idea, that should to make weeding the vegetable garden a lot more fun this summer!

"at least the flamingos don't need to be dressed"
    Funny, I never thought about that :)

Well, have fun, Lucille.
    Donna

• concretenprimroses
    10 years ago

I think my husband got rid of my flamingos. I'd like to find them and paint or mosaic.
    Have fun!
    Kathy

• Marlene Kindred
    10 years ago

Flamingos would definitely make gardening more fun I would think! They're bound to bring a smile.

• GeeMee2
    10 years ago

oriental trading has them with wings that turn in the wind, that may help to keep critters out too....

• a.girl.named.max
    10 years ago

I sort of remember one project from a few years ago that made use of pink flamingoes. The flamingoes were painted blue and wearing sun glasses... the Blues Brothers? I'll have to see if I can find the link. If not, I bet Marlene remembers them. Very fun!

• a.girl.named.max
    10 years ago

Found them! It was Sally Ann and the Blues Brothers by Purplemoon.

• lucillle
    Original Author
    10 years ago

THAT is a work of art! Thank you for posting.
    Yes the flamingoes (and the geese in front) make me smile plus provide some color before I have flowers/vegetables in the garden.

• Momof6
    10 years ago

Does any one remember when we had the traveling flamingo?...

• nonacook
    10 years ago

I remember the traveling one!
    I think it was the one that got lost on the journey........

• Momof6
    10 years ago

I was the last person to see Felix...mailed him off and he was never seen again..it was such fun to see his travels...Mary

• oldcrafty
    10 years ago

A few years back there was an "explosion" of unique flamingos on here. There was army ones, beaded ones zebra's and skeletons and too many to mention. Can't remember who did them but they were very interesting and done so well.

• concretenprimroses
    10 years ago

I remember that. Lots of people made them. Toomuchglass for one I think. It was around the same time as the blues brothers. I loved them!
    Kathy

• PKponder TX Z7B
    10 years ago

I seem to 'kill' every thread that I reply to. Sorry folks, don't know what I am doing wrong.

Here is a link that might be useful: Garden Junk Inspiration Album

This post was edited by pkponder on Sun, Mar 16, 14 at 19:55

• lucillle
    Original Author
    10 years ago

A couple of my flamingoes have glasses and plastic rain hats. They are quite the sight.

• greensuzq2
    10 years ago

I bought 2 boxes with 2 in each box a couple of years ago when they were on sale. I need to get them out and dress them up. Thanks for reminding me. I have been reorganizing my shed getting ready for spring and I need to get those out the boxes.
    Enjoy spring in your neck of the woods.
    Suzq

• a.girl.named.max
    9 years ago

Just a comment ... The prices on pink flamingos seems to have sky rocketed.

• frankielynnsie
    9 years ago

Yes, I think they were $9 at Lowes last week. When I was contemplating them my husband grabbed me and rushed to another area. I think he was afraid one might jump into the buggy and follow us home.

• danaoh
    9 years ago

Bought the flamingo whirlygigs at dollar store, same as oriental trading. That is what spinning things are called. Left them out all winter, faded, but they were fun to watch spin with the snow all around them. They just make you smile

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    9 years ago

I had some that a man in Louisiana made. My sister bought them for me. They would be easy to make and are so cool.
    The legs were pieces of rebar welded together a tall straight one for the leg and three short ones at the bottom for the three "toes". The body was a scrap of wood shaped sorta pear shaped with the pointy end as the tail and the rebar legs inserted into drilled holes in the body. The neck was a long piece of flat thin metal bent into an arch that was nailed to the body. At the end of the metal neck was another scrap of wood shaped as the head with a long hooked bill. The head had the beak area painted yellow, the legs and feet were yellow, the body and head were neon pink. The thin metal strap material of the neck allowed the head to bob up and down in the wind. They looked fantastic out by the pool.
    I really regret leaving them when I sold that house.
    I am determined to get more or get some made.

• Shades_of_idaho
    9 years ago

i used to have one just as you described except the legs were just straight long metal rods that could be pushed into the ground. It finally fell apart beyond repair. I wish I had saved the s[pringy neck. wonder what that is?

• oldgraymare
    9 years ago

If you have a Dollar Tree near you, they sometimes have them there. (I have seen them at the Red Wing store) I dont think they are as thick of plastic as the old ones, but for a buck if they last a year or 2 it might be worth it!

• yacheryl
    9 years ago

Does anyone know where to get the big plastic flamingos.
    Mine are about 3-4 foot tall depending on how tall I make the legs.
    A larger version of what Lowes sell.
    They're probably 8+ years old and the plastic is breaking down......Cheryl
    *I put bows on mine for all the holidays.

• beachplant
    9 years ago

I ordered 3 cases from $tree to decorate for our community garden sale. They won`t ship them to the store but shipping wasn`t bad. They are small.

Home Depot and Lowes get them in on a regular basis but they sell out quickly. Snatch them if you see them.

Family Dollar had a flamingo bird house the other day when I was in there $5, you know I couldn`t resist, there are a couple of dozen flamingos in the back yard.

Tally HO!

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?