Return to the Garden Junk Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
My new compost bin.

Posted by rubyredcornbread 7 (My Page) on
Fri, Feb 8, 13 at 17:05

All recycled wood-Took useless things around the yard apart! hehehe

Free landscape fabric-Still got a whole dang roll!

The metal on the door is the bottom from an old dog crate-I think I'm gonna weave it with vines.

Spent $10 on pipe & fittings for the canopy & I'm gonna grow vines up it from the 'side planter openings'

Like I said...this is rough, but whatcha think so far?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: My new compost bin.

i like it ............something outta nothing (or close to it) is aleawys better in my book........

.....and i like your name ruby !!!!

o

Love it! Can you come and build one for me please! :) LOL!

I've been investigating compost bins but am going to go for a 'tumbler' as I have a shoulder & back injury so can't manually dig a compost heap to turn it over or even get the compost into a wheelbarrow. I'm hoping to make my own tumbler....eventually! I'm trying to source the barrels.

Your design looks very robust and it's great you were able to repurpose things you already had!

o

Looks like it will be a winner. So you are going to turn it from the ends & grow vines over top to hide it & keep it cool. That's COOL! Jan

o

Fabulous!
Looks like a mini gazebo.
We don't cover our compost pile. Just wondering why you need a cover.

Kathy

o

Thanks everyone! Kathy-I don't want it completely covered, but I just thought something climbing up would "beatify" my slop pit! lol

o

Cool idea! Be sure to post pictures as you go. I have been wanting to make a bin myself, but it hasn't floated to the top of the list yet. I'm always interested in what other people do, so thanks for sharing your creation with us.

o

Very nice. I like the idea of vines, will make a beautiful canopy effect. Love the idea of recycling.

o

Looks like a winner! Just a hint on planting 'climbers'...don't plant Morning Glory unless you want MG to come up everywhere that you use your compost! ;-) I am still fighting that ...I planted beautiful 'glories' on the gate side of my compost bins! It looks pretty there but not so pretty when it tangles in w/my cukes climbing in the veggie garden! TFS! Jeanne S.

o

jeanne S. -I know to well the horrors of MG's! lol I built the open 'planters' on the sides with climbing nasturtiums in mind...If the canopy gets too shady...Salad Time! yum

o

• Posted by 9bark 5 British Columbia (My Page) on
    Tue, Feb 12, 13 at 12:16

Loving it! Looks great and the vine idea I would have never thought of!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Junk Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here