Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
a_girl_named_max

To do or not to do...what say you?

a.girl.named.max
10 years ago

It's a long story....

I was a very bad girl yesterday. I went thrift shopping and filled up my little Toyota Matrix and still have to go back to pick up my final purchase

I just couldn't say no to my final purchase which was an old black electric Singer sewing machine in a blonde cabinet with drawers. The cabinet is in fairly good condition with exception of the top. I only paid $1.45 for sewing machine, cabinet, and stool.

I'm thinking about painting the cabinet and putting plants/flowers in the drawers and then reselling it this spring.

I bought it from a struggling thrift shop owner. In my opinion I think he should keep the machine and cabinet and paint it like I plan to complete with plants and put it on his store's front porch. I think it would draw attention to his shop. I would even volunteer to help him if I thought he was going to stay in business.

I don't have a pic yet but will post one if I end up picking up my purchase.

Comments (12)

• concretenprimroses
    10 years ago

I think that is a fabulous idea!
    Kathy

• sunnyca_gw
    10 years ago

What is the stool like, I got a very heavy one at yard sale,haven't redone top & I saw 1 very like it that was from 1800's so I may have to rethink that. But most people sewing on sewing machine don't sit on a stool so what is it like? Your other ideas sound great. Too bad Ebay took away so much business from the shops& antique stores that they have a hard time. Maybe his health or wife's is not good so might inquire if he's enjoying his work, maybe he will tell you. You'll have to show us some of your loot!, If machine works you can sell it!! Probably even if it doesnt!! Jan

• freezengirl
    10 years ago

Perhaps you can talk to the owner and let him borrow your project for a bit. If it helps great, if not you get it back.

• garden2garden
    10 years ago

No way to know untill you talk to him, but the shop owner might not have the time or the inclination to work on projects. What if, since you said you were going to sell it later anyway, you talk to him about putting it (and maybe some other fun things made out of his extremely reasonably priced junk) up there on commission? Draws attention to the store, gets other peoples imaginations going, make a little $ for you, make a little $ for him. Could turn into a win/win.

• oldcrafty
    10 years ago

I like what garden2garden had to say!!!!

• posieh
    10 years ago

I'm, feeling bad for the seller. $1.45 for the machine and all indicates to me that he really needed the money to sell for such a low price. They might be older folks that really need the money and that is why he is selling things. I'd take it back and help him decorate and display it as you were considering to do to lure others to his sales site. What goes 'round, comes 'round! Of course I'm a softie. Sunnyca, I think the stool you bought is really old and is an organ or a piano stool.

• laurastheme
    10 years ago

What a buy! Unbelievable! I feel for the shop owner. Sometimes running your own business is so hard. I'm anxious to see pics.

• GeeMee2
    10 years ago

You might also offer to help price things!!!!!! garden2garden has the best idea , show some already re-made art and you have free advertising and can help him pay the rent.

• freezengirl
    10 years ago

Garden2Garden's idea is fantastic!
    There is a small "junk" shop similar to what you describe in our local community that is being run by a young family. I know they post a lot of their stuff 'as is' in the local Craigs list. One of them has a real flair for displaying select items for potential and they keep their prices quite reasonable on the bulk of their stuff. I stop in every couple of weeks or so and noticed that they really move their product out quickly.

• zzackey
    10 years ago

I would keep it original and post it on Craigslist.

• a.girl.named.max
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Zackey, you are probably right.

If you read my post today on the discussion side you'll see I have a lot going on right now. So I think I will either sell it as-is or donate it. However ....???!!! LOL

• a.girl.named.max
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Whoops. I'm rusty ... my post is on the conversation side.