Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
marylee_2010

Trial Totems

marylee_2010
13 years ago

Here are my first two trial totems. They are not very tall. Maybe they will grow as I get experience. Now I just hope I can get the pictures post

{{gwi:131893}}

{{gwi:131894}}

ed. Marylee

Comments (17)

• marylee_2010
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Well, I finally got a picture posted without any trouble but you have to click on them to enlarge and then you still get my entire album. It sure is hard to change something once you get it in this computer. - Marylee

• azcactusflower
    13 years ago

They are both beautiful. Love the colors you used. For being trial totems you did an exceptional job! As you make more keep those pics coming. Thanks for sharing.

• marylee_2010
    Original Author
    13 years ago

azcactusflower - Thank you for those kind words. I am finding that it is a lot harder than I thought it would be. I have been hitting the thrift shop and flea market and am getting quite a cache. I am really looking forward to warm weather and the garage sales. Now I have a purpose for buying. - Marylee

• jeannespines
    13 years ago

I also like the colors you've chosen ...are you going to put them in your gardens? Or will they be protected inside? I am just asking because many of us have learned to use those "large microwave round glass" for bottoms (stability) & then covered them with mulch or in flower beds so they don't show...much more stable.

I think you're doing great! You will have fun GS'ing this summer! TFS! Jeanne S.

• sunnyca_gw
    13 years ago

Well, I'm glad I got to see your "whole album" cause now I'm jealous-- I love love love your saw blade!! The totems are great! The pink & greens one is lovely & the pink & clear is so cute with that cat or dog on top looking like it is ready to jump down. Great start on your totem making adventure. Jan

• marylee_2010
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Jeanne, I am going to put my totems in my flower beds which go around my whole yard and my house. (the more flowers you have..the less grass you mow) I was going to use stakes in the ground and pvc pipe to stabilize the totems. The microwave bottoms sound good..I will keep that in mind.

Jan, I am glad you liked "my album" but I don't know what I did to get it there. I haven't seen that on other people's posts.

Thank you both for your nice comments. I have enjoyed reading everyone's posts and seeing the pictures. Marylee

• luna_llena_feliz
    13 years ago

I'm going nuts because our monitor is on the fritz and is very YELLOW. Ack! I can't tell the real colors of your totems but you sure have sum pretty pieces. Love your little birdy topper.

I had to look through your photo album after reading Jan's post. he-he If you click on one of your pictures above, it takes you to your Photobucket album. We are able to look through the other pictures you have in that album. I like the circular saw blade too.

• mary2010
    13 years ago

Great job Marylee! Speaking from experience the first couple ones are always the most challenging. They are a bit harder to create then you might think. But, you've got the fever now so I can't wait to see your future creations. Going junking at the TS is my favorite weekly pass time. Best of luck!

• marylee_2010
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you, Mary. I have been seeing your totems and they are marvelous. Marylee

• chevy57red
    13 years ago

Very pretty!!
    I like the colors and the fact that they are not real tall..

• Marlene Kindred
    13 years ago

Marylee~

You did a great job on your totems! Great color and shape combinations! But, unless you're going to put those on a post or pipe, take it from us...you will need a larger plate at the bottom or they will definitely fall over...a dinner plate will work fine or a microwave plate...I would hate to see them get broken...it will be easy to do as well.

Great job and thanks for sharing them with us!

• marylee_2010
    Original Author
    13 years ago

luna llena feliz, chevy57red and marlene - Thank you for your comments. I am going to put these on pipe but am waiting for spring. We still have snow everywhere. I haven't glued them together yet because I figured it was easier to keep the pieces stored until I can attach them and put them outside. I am also going to try some with the heavy microwave dishes for bases. I am so ready for spring! Marylee

• nonacook
    13 years ago

Nice totems!
    Just a tip--
    I don't bury my microwave plate on the bottom,
    because it helps to keep the 'dirt-spatter' away
    from the main totem.

• marylee_2010
    Original Author
    13 years ago

honacook - Thank you for the heads up..I would never have thought of that until I saw the dirt spatters. - Marylee

• lynnencfan
    13 years ago

Marylee - very nice for your first attempt - my sister and I have been collecting dishes and will be making some when the weather turns. We tend to like the smaller/shorter ones. Yours are very pretty .....

Lynne

• LindaArb
    13 years ago

Just beautiful Marylee!
    I hope you take pics of them in your gardens.
    I'm partial to birds and animals, teapots, heck maybe I'm just partial to it all! lol
    Happy creating.
    Linda

• oldcrafty
    13 years ago

very nice.....it's easy to get hooked on totems.