Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pixie_lou

How to cut glass?

pixie_lou
12 years ago

With all those gorgeous cobalt blue beer bottles, I have this idea to cut the bottoms off, leaving me with a bunch of cobalt blue "polka dots". Is there any "easy" way to do this?

I kinda remember back in the 70's my grandfather cutting the tops off bottles to make drinking glasses.

I'm being inspired by my new shower curtain. Figured if I could get some blue and green and brown glass circles, I could glue them to some old windows, then hang the windows to create a "fence"

Here is a link that might be useful: My shower curtain

Comments (11)

• Boston_noob
    12 years ago

Hi! I was having the same idea! They sell glass cutters all over the interweb. This one seems promising - the Generation Green G2 cutter.

Here is a link that might be useful: Generation Green G2 cutter

• greensuzq2
    12 years ago

Hi,

I have this bottle glass cutter from Delphi and it works pretty good, just took me a couple of tries and worked great. A girlfriend borrowed it and she is having trouble getting a clean cut. You are actually just scoring the glass and heating it with a candle or something, (I have seen some YouTube videos on it) and then icing it down. As the glass cools it just pops apart, if you get a nice scoring around the bottle. You then just sand the edges a bit.

I have been to Delphi in Lansing, MI and drool over so many things there.

I love your idea of a fence. I am thinking of doing an outside shower area and creating one side with my old shower doors and might try your idea out on one or more of them. Thanks for the idea.

I like the idea of the Generation Green G2 because it cuts bigger bottles, but don't know anything about it.

Good Luck and have fun.

Suzq

Here is a link that might be useful: Ephrems Bottle Cutter

• mommyandme2
    12 years ago

If you google the phrase "How to remove glass bottle bottom", several methods are shown. I had some success with the table knife method. I have heard that the acetone & string method works well, too. No method is perfect because different bottles are made in different ways. Some are saying that those Bud Light bottles are thinner than usual. Perhaps the knife method might work best. Let us know what works best for you. - Laura

• toomuchglass
    12 years ago

Bottle cutters don't work as nice as they sound. In fact , my friend owns a stained glass store & she won't stock any kind of bottle cutter because people always brought them back and said they can't get it to work. I had one a long time ago - it took about 6 bottles to get one that actually came apart (and then it had such sharp edges it was unusable ) I think some kind of a glass saw would be your best bet .(Unfortunately ,they're VERY expensive )

• rafor
    12 years ago

I've done this. Here's a link that shows how. And it does take a little practice to get it right.

Here is a link that might be useful: wine bottle glass cutter

• amigirl
    12 years ago

I've cut dozens of bottoms off wine, liquor and beer bottles. I use an electric tile wet saw. The cheap kind @ Lowe's. They used to be around $89. I saw a video of it on the Internet and have been doing it that way for about 3 yrs.

Sue

• dcarch7 d c f l a s h 7 @ y a h o o . c o m
    12 years ago

Here is a saw for much less.

dcarch

Here is a link that might be useful: wet saw

• greensuzq2
    12 years ago

Hi,

I never had a problem with cutting bottles with the Ephrems cutter. But have always wanted a wet saw.
    Thanks for the info dcarch. Went to Harbour Freight in MI for a birthday present a few days ago, I should shopped around a bit more. Someday, :) Suzq

• Calamity_J
    12 years ago

I use a tile saw too, it works GREAT! I cut up a bunch and had The Church Ladies over one evening for a Craft Nite/Firepit party!!! I cut wine bottle bottoms(3inches from the bottom) and they decorated them and then we added sand and a small candle...instant votive...they were a big hit!

• bookjunky4life
    12 years ago

Fortunately for me, my (somewhat) newly acquired husband came with a bonus wet saw! I'm thinking cut the bottoms off and place tea lights underneath. Wouldn't that be beautiful? Maybe figure out some sort of candelabra?! Then I can use the bottoms in a separate project.

• pixie_lou
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for all the suggestions. I've now put a tile saw on my Mothers Day wish list.

Sponsored