Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
topsiebeezelbub

What kind of table to hold fairy garden?

topsiebeezelbub
10 years ago

Hello clever Peeps. I have always wanted a table top miniature garden, since tiny plants get swallowed up by aggressive ones in my garden. My grandbaby will be 2 in March so I really want to make one for her, with miniature cottages and stuff, but don't know what to use to build the table. I want it about 4' square or round...I thought about concrete backer board or plywood, but want it to last a long time and not rot. Any ideas for the table? Thanks, Topsie.

Comments (13)

• PKponder TX Z7B
    10 years ago

I have an inexpensive plastic round table about a 3' diameter that I've had in the yard for years. It's now used for painting or potting projects mostly. It's one with the removable legs that stores vertically in a 4 inch space (legs fit in the top). I got it at big lots and it comes in a variety of colors.

Concrete board holds up but it's so heavy.

• luvs2click
    10 years ago

Why not get an old wheelbarrow or large wagon or something like that and do a container fairy garden. A table with that much dirt, etc. would be very heavy, and therefore stationary whereas a wheelbarrow, wagon or other such thing would be able to be moved around, wheeled to the outdoor faucet for watering, moved to the shade, etc. It would also last a long time and be more at a child's eye level. Post pictures whatever you decide on!

• luvs2click
    10 years ago

Forgot to add ~ another idea would be a large galvanized wash tub. You could even add wheels to it or build a platform with wheels that it could sit on, making it easier to move around. Or make it not so heavy by filling the bottom half with empty water bottles and only half full of dirt. That is what I do.

• a.girl.named.max
    10 years ago

I agree with luvs2chlick. I use an old wheelbarrow for one of my fairy gardens. I think it adds to the charm and it's so easy to relocate. It's one of my favorite garden pieces.

• frankielynnsie
    10 years ago

A plastic outdoor table with the center cut out and a plastic tub set into the center with the garden in the tub would make a fascinating patio table. You could bring the tub inside to enjoy during the winter.

A girl named max--can you post a picture of your wheel barrow fairy garden? I need some inspiration. We still have snow and ice here in Georgia. I have 2 crocus blooms and daffodil buds so spring is coming.

• popmama (Colorado, USDA z5)
    10 years ago

I use an old rusty wagon
    {{gwi:131915}}

I've also seen beautiful fairy gardens in old galvanized tubs, hypertufas, and other containers.

• frankielynnsie
    10 years ago

I like your wagon garden. Easy to move to another location. Would look great on the patio with some other potted plants.

• oldcrafty
    10 years ago

Love the wagon planter. A couple of years ago I planted my granddaughter a fairy garden in a wash tub. BIG mistake as far as being able to move it around. It was extremely heavy as I didn't fill the bottom with bottles to make it lighter. The look was awesome but was hard to handle the weight! She has asked me to re-do it this year and I will definitely use a filler on the bottom as well as take an earlier posted hint and put it on wheels!

• concretenprimroses
    10 years ago

If you don't want to move it around, how about concrete blocks with outdoor pavers on top? It could be low enough for your little grand daughter but up away from the weeds.
    People build planters out out of pavers held together with construction adhesive. I have put a cool link below, but if you google planters made with concrete pavers you will get hundreds of pictures.
    Good luck, and remember to post a picture!
    Kathy

Here is a link that might be useful: 12 Awesome concrete and cinder block projects

• frankielynnsie
    10 years ago

I love the concrete and cinder block projects. The bench idea appeals to me because I have 3 benches in the edge of the woods that are over 20 years old and decayed/decaying. Cement blocks and patio timbers would make quick easy benches. A little paint would make the cement blocks blend in.

• mikebotann
    10 years ago

I use moss and sedums on a small table. It's easy to move around into the shade or sun depending what it needs.
    Probably not for kids though. Too boring.
    Mike
    {{gwi:7320}}

• mikebotann
    10 years ago

Here's another one.
    My own little island!
    Mike
    {{gwi:7319}}

• concretenprimroses
    10 years ago

I love those Mikebotann!
    Kathy