Return to the Garden Junk Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
6' of PVC pipe and a Bowling Ball

Posted by tinfoilhat AZ 10 (My Page) on
Sun, Feb 19, 12 at 17:58

There is an real sharp octopus in the inspiration album and I always wanted to make one for out at the pond. I was cutting some long leaves out of a piece of PVC pipe when it dawned on me I could use the pipe for an octopus. I cut the legs out of the pipe barrel and used the bell for the body. The legs are screwed to bell and I used heavy gray PVC glue to hide the seams. I used a heat gun to bend the legs. I got a little carried away on the size, I thought if I curved his legs up and down and around he would be smaller. I got bored holding the heat gun so he didn't get as many bends as I first envisioned. He's almost 8' in diameter. I'll set him by the pond this spring after I clean it and top it off. Maybe he'll scare the heron away.

Octopus, Made from 6' of 6

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 6' of PVC pipe and a Bowling Ball

He looks like a cute little octopus but at 8 ft he should rule the poolside & keep even big critters away!! Jan

o

How adorable... love him and he should have a name with a sweet face like that!!!

o

Appropriate size 8 FEET ... for 8 FEET! Room for plenty of movement! I love him & think you are so creative!!! Great recycling! TFS! Jeanne S.

o

Name?
I'm reaching here because I couldn't think of any thing that worked with octopus. Using a little fuzzy math and some geometry to bend the English language I come up with:
Garden junk + octopus = octopus' garden.
Octopus' Garden = Ringo.
So I'm going with Ringo for a name unless someone comes up with something better.

o

I'm voting for Ringo, too. He's adorable !

o

Ringo works for him....love the critter!

o

Ringo is a great name for your octopus. He is really cute. I can't believe he is 8 foot, but I guess if your body is a bowling ball, you have to be pretty big. Thank you for sharing him with us.

Marylee

o

oh I love him

o

Ringo will be making a definate statement sitting by the pool He is soooo cool

o

And RINGO was his name O ....R-I-N-G-O, R-I-N-G-O, R-I-N-G-O, and Ringo was his name O! Love it!

o

OMGosh! I LOVE him! He's perfect...love the coloring too! You are just too creative for your own good! Awesome.

o

That is so cool; what did you use to cut the legs?

o

I used an electric jig saw with probably a 14 TPI blade. The particular piece of pipe has a wall thickness of about 1/2".

o

So very cute!!!!!! Love the name too :) Great job!

o

Ringo and the Beatles...."I would like to be, under the sea, in an octopus garden"

Great!

Here is a link that might be useful: Ringo of the Beatles song Octopus Garden

o

I love him ! I'm working on an octopus myself right now. Way different than yours though ! LOL

o

Thanks, I needed that.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Junk Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here