Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lavender_lass

Arbor ideas....pvc pipe and wood lattice

lavender_lass
14 years ago

Has anyone made trellises or arbors from pvc pipe with plastic or wood lattice? I saw an article on the internet, using pvc pipe for the frame and then screwing lattice to the sides and top to make an arbor. It's also supposed to work well as a trellis, with just two pvc pipes and the lattice across the front. The big advantages are it's inexpensive and I can slip the pipe over rebar or (even better) metal fence posts to keep them from blowing over. We did this with mom's big entry arbor and it's worked out very well.

I'd like to do this for a few arbors to support climbing vegetables. One would be over the mushroom table and stump stools on another thread. I also want to build two trellises for some Zephirine Drouhin roses. Another forum suggested rope or chain between the two trellis pieces, so the roses could swag across. This would be up against the house, behind a small tea table and two chairs in the fairy garden. That way the rose wouldn't get in the way of extra chairs being pulled up to the table, when necessary.

Has anyone built trellises or arbors with pvc pipe? Do they hold up well? I could use the plastic lattice for the roses, but would prefer wood in the veggie garden, as it is more rustic. Maybe I could paint the pvc pipe, if necessary.

Thanks for any ideas or suggestions :)

Comments (8)

• nanatricia
    14 years ago

I have made a arbor out of pvc I used chicken wire for my C. jassmento climb on .I do not have a pic but will do one tomorrow . I panted it copper and it has patina green on it It has been out 2years.I also built a large arbor over the back part of my deck to shade my sitting erea .It has been up for about 5 years .I love it .It was a inexpensive way to do it .I panted it also it is done with biger withd one and a half in.wide .Pant it it keeps the sun from deterating Just go for it ! it .http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v358/nana7/nanagarden/000_0355.jpg

• luna_llena_feliz
    14 years ago

nanatricia, your arbor turned out very nice! Great ideas ladies!

• TwoMonths
    14 years ago

I made a shade corner with the plastic covered metal wire shelves. Found them at ReStore for Humanity. I just cut them down to 8 feet. I wired two together for 4 corners. Then added others across the top and front to make the square. I did have some ripstop nylon over it but it got too dirty and I tossed. Need to come up with another idea for this summer. Will take pics and post soon.

• aliska12000
    14 years ago

I haven't been around this forum for awhile, but somewhere on GW I saw a really neat trellis, don't know about making arbors w/pvc and maybe didn't pull up the right photo.

I saved the photo but it's not mine so not right to post it. It was like you said, pvc pipe for the frame with rebar. But the lattice was so pretty. It was double and slats were thinner. All white. I've never been able to find any lattice like that. No screws involved, the person just wrapped/laced white cord and must have tied in certain places to secure the lattice to the frame, looked like a simple DIY project for me.

• concretenprimroses
    14 years ago

Our local building supply store has about a dozen lattice designs. Although we chose the traditional (inexpensive) for under our back porch of our rather plain house, I'd consider one of the fancy ones for an arbor for sure.
    (I mean not HD or L building supply)
    One more thing for the never ending list!
    Kathy

• aliska12000
    14 years ago

I found the lattice trellis I was talking about, the photo is still up. Second photo at link along with supplies and instructions.

Kathy, I did find some different lattice designs at HD Algerian and one other, not what I want. Also found some more, too whimsical, fishes, stars, several others, not what I wanted either. Wish I knew what this one is called and where she bought it.

Here is a link that might be useful: Double Lattice Trellis with pvc pipe frame

• garden2garden
    14 years ago

I have not built one, but have been keeping an eye out when I go anywhere to see what other people are doing as I am in need of several arches, and I just happened to see something similar today. It looked very nice. I couldn't tell if they had used pvc, because not only did they have a panel of lattice over the archway, they had run a strip of lattice down each pole, too. But I think the pvc would work for sure.

You could easily make this double, or square. And although my DH was going too fast for me to get a picture of it, he did point out that when using pvc the top doesnt have to be flat, there are different angles of fittings, so you could have a rounded or gothic top, depending on what connecting pcs you use.

Concreteprimroses, it hadn't dawned on me you could actually buy more decorative kinds, I figured it was made special. I will have to look at our smaller hardware stores, I love lattice. I was lucky, a neighbor gave me all his old wood lattice he took off the bottom of his house when he closed it in. It is the traditional kind, tho I like the square kind better, I'm glad to have it to play with. I like this idea a lot, Lavender Lass.

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths