Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nanaclaire_gw

Ideas on how to include a bird house and bird feeder together

nanaclaire
10 years ago

I bought a really nice bird feeder (large) with 3 different feeding options and it needs to be put on a pole or maybe on a post. But I want to include a bird house nearby maybe with the same kind of set up since I have no trees to hang these on, including a small garden maybe with some vine-type plants. Any ideas? I wasn't sure where to post this or maybe should go in another place.

Comments (12)

• luvs2click
    10 years ago

Here's an old post with instructions how to mount a birdhouse or feeder on a galvanized pipe, using a floor phlange. This is the best way because coon, cat, etc. can crawl up wood posts and victimize the birds. Brids actually prefer lots of open space around feeders and houses so they feel safe and there's not a lot of cover for predators nearby. Hope that helps.

Here is a link that might be useful: past discussion on birdhouses

• PKponder TX Z7B
    10 years ago

We use the galvanized pipe, a 2 inch diameter sunk maybe 2 feet deep and shoulder height with the birdhouse mounted on a taller 1.5 inch dia. pipe. The thinner pipe slides into the bottom pipe. It makes it easier to get it down for cleaning and is very stable. I don't like ladders much :-)

We mounted the birdhouse with the clamps used for attaching privacy fencing to metal poles. We currently have the feeders hanging from Shepherd's hooks nearby, but mounting to the pole sounds neat too!.

This is planted in my butterfly garden and my passionvine does grow up the pole nicely. I had to go this way with the birdhouse because of the neighborhood cats.

• nanaclaire
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you! I'm saving this info so I can do this sometime in the Spring, whenever the weather decides to warm up :) !!

pkponder ...do you have a picture? Would love to see it. I want to include a Birdhouse and a Birdfeeder. My Birdfeeder is very large and I hung it last summer and was still out till recently when it needed seed and found out the thing broke at the top where you take it off to add seed ... so I'm mounting it on a pole and it will be just fine that way. It is VERY heavy so I can't have a tall pole for it. I included a picture of my bird feeder. It is 13 x 13 and has 9 feeding stations, 11lb capacity.

I want to have a birdhouse separate but not too far away. Have an idea to put these alongside our ramp ... will look nice with some vines I think. :) Also, I know this bird feeder can be pole mounted because a couple people told me about how to do it. I saved that info and it says The pipe needs to be no wider than 7/8 of an inch. Anyway, looking forward to mounting that and I have to find a nice bird house to also mount on a pole. We have lots of cats around here (including ours that goes outside) and squirrels, so I might have to figure a way to keep them out.

• nonacook
    10 years ago

I have a bird feeder that my Late DH made from a satellite dish post (one of the large ones--the 8 foot top is now a gazebo in my garden). With a metal post, I didn't think anything could climb it, but the squirrels did.

I bought a jar of cheapy 'Vicks' salve and smeared on the post. No longer did they want to climb.
    It kept the ants out of the birdseed too.
    I thought this might help someone here on this birdhouse and feeder subject.

• nonacook
    10 years ago

I have a bird feeder that my Late DH made from a satellite dish post (one of the large ones--the 8 foot top is now a gazebo in my garden). With a metal post, I didn't think anything could climb it, but the squirrels did.

I bought a jar of cheapy 'Vicks' salve and smeared on the post. No longer did they want to climb.
    It kept the ants out of the birdseed too.
    I thought this might help someone here on this birdhouse and feeder subject.

• PKponder TX Z7B
    10 years ago

nonacook,
    Do you think that the eucalyptus deterred them? I read to use cooking oil on the shepherd hooks to keep the squirrels from climbing, but I'd have to reapply every day because they only have trouble with 'slippery pole' for about a day. I feed the squirrels black oil sunflower seeds too on the ground in a pan, but they seem to only want the bird feeder food. I put the same seed in all feeders :-) They just like the challenge.

• nanaclaire
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Nonacook re the vicks - will certainly try that. I assume you have to reapply that as well?

Love your birdhouse pkponder

• littlebug5
    10 years ago

Hahaha on the Vicks. I don't like the smell either!

I have tried this method with plain old Vaseline with varied results. The Vicks might be better.

• caroline94535
    9 years ago

I hope I don't sound like a wet rag, I don't mean too, but I have to chime in.

Most cavity nesters - native birds that will raise young in bird boxes - such as wrens, chickadees, tree swallows, bluebirds, some woodpeckers, nuthatches, etc. - don't want other birds nearby. They can be very territorial or abandon their nests/young if they feel too threatened or crowded.

It's usually best to keep the bird feeders and baths in an area separate from the bird house, then everyone will be peaceful and happy.

I try to not put any feeders closer than 50 feet from a bird house. Depending on the bird species you're wanting to attract to a house you may need more space; or at least on a different side of your house.

Here's some of my baby tree swallows 50 feet from the feeder station.

This post was edited by caroline on Mon, Jul 28, 14 at 17:17

• oldfixer
    9 years ago

Keep that pole greased.

• squirrelly
    9 years ago

A really nice system that keeps the squirrels away but allows you to mount multiple bird feeders and/or birdhouses is the Squirrel Stopper System.

Here is a link that might be useful: Squirrel Stopper System