Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nmgirl_gw

My latest project-whadda ya think of it?

nmgirl
16 years ago

I've been wanting to dig into my glass stash and play but have been a little low on ideas. I made a lot of bells for Christmas gifts and don't currently have room for another plant stand in the house or topiary in the yard. Since,according to my daughter, I am a "bird nerd" I thought I'd try making a bird feeder.

I used a small 3 section relish dish, a ginger jar shaped piece of glass I rescued from a lamp and a glass cabinet knob. I thought I'd make a small feeder for the wee ones, chickadees and such. I've filled it with black oil sunflower seed and am hoping that the birdies will take to it.

{{gwi:132237}}

Comments (24)

• princess_mimi
    16 years ago

very clever! and pretty too!

~~Mimi

• justlinda
    16 years ago

Good thinking. Enough of a ledge for those birdies to perch on also. Neat-o.

• Bright199
    16 years ago

Definately creative. I bet the birdies will love it.

• kathi_mdgd
    16 years ago

Very pretty,and looks like i see something green poking up thru the mulch by the tree!!
    Kathi

• neetsiepie
    16 years ago

My guess is the birdies will love it!! They seem to like sparkly stuff.

Can I ask, how did you attach the pieces? I'd LOVE to have some of these in my garden.

• luna_llena_feliz
    16 years ago

Gorgeous bird feeder! It looks so professional and so pretty. Let us know how you attached the hanger - enquiring minds want to know!

• pattico_gw
    16 years ago

It's beautiful....how do you fill it, if you don't mind giving away trade secrets.

patti

• mzclassic
    16 years ago

Very nice, I bet it really shines when the sun hits it.
    Donna

Here is a link that might be useful: My Stuff

• cait1
    16 years ago

GORGEOUS!!!

When you find the birds feeding, please take some pics and show us!

• pghgardnewbie
    16 years ago

So pretty-pretty! I have a lot of free roaming kitties in my neighborhood, so bird feeders are a bit dangerous in the yard. I would love to have a few of those hanging around, though- maybe I can find a spot to hang it where they can't get to it.

Did you have to drill the glass? It looks like the top parts are loose with the cord holding them together- did you attach the cord to the plate on the bottom somehow?

• Dottie B.
    16 years ago

Oh my gosh! How beautiful! Very creative and a great use for glass!!!

• vagardenlady
    16 years ago

You inspire us as always. Beautiful job.

• mjowest
    16 years ago

Very neat!

Did you ever post about your 'bells'???

• nmgirl
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I just put a peach pie in to bake and finally have time to sit down and visit the Junkyard.
    First of all - Happy Mardi Gras! (I know it's tomorrow-Tues.- but I won't have to get back here in the morning)
    LAISSEZ LES BON TEMPS ROULER!

kathi mdgd- the green you see are my early daffodils, there are some crocus there too but they don't show in the photo.

Drill the glass? Yes I drilled it.
    I recently invested in a diamond glass/tile drill bit. It was $2 more than the carbide one I'd been buying. It is a lot faster and I really like the hole it cuts. I think I'll use diamond bits from now on, talk about a time saver!

The top is a glass cabinet pull/knob but because the hole in to top of the lamp piece is a lot larger than the hole in the knob, I glued the knob to the lamp part. Gluing really helped stabilize the whole thing.

I was thinking ahead with this time and took photos before I filled the feeder! Check out the photos and if you have any questions, please post them.
    {{gwi:130974}}
    {{gwi:130973}}
    {{gwi:130972}}

Here's how I fill it:
    {{gwi:130975}}

• luna_llena_feliz
    16 years ago

Totally awesome! Thanks for the info!

• justlinda
    16 years ago

Thanks for the instructions. Now just have to learn how to drill glass

8^)

• susiesunshine
    16 years ago

Just A D O R E them.....!!!!!!! Great!!!!!
    Not only Beautiful..... But soooooooooo COOLLLLLLLLL
    for the little birdies...
    and for all folks to L@@K at...>!!!!!!
    Thanks for the nice pictures and
    the Great instructions.....
    You are amazing NM Girl!!!!!!
    We are so Blessed to have you here!!!!!
    God Bless !
    SusieSunShine

• countrygrl
    16 years ago

That's the prettiest birdfeeder I've ever seen! Just gorgeous, and thanks for sharing your instructions!

• PKponder TX Z7B
    16 years ago

I love it and I bet the chickadees will too!

Pam

• craftylady-2006
    16 years ago

This is so excellent, I am really impressed with your creativity on this one Nmgirl. Great job!!!

Sal

• luvstocraft
    16 years ago

That is one high class looking bird feeder! I absolutely love it! That was very creative, using the divided dish at the bottom leaves room for the seeds to spill into it, and the glass drawer pull on top was the perfect addition. You've made the prettiest bird feeder ever! ;o) Luvs

• superiorgirl2
    16 years ago

This is neat! I headed straight to the ts to check for things to make this with. I'll have to wait to come up with a clear lamp as they only had china ones. I suppose the china would work, but I'd like to make one in clear glass with cobalt pieces. This looks like something the squirrels wouldn't be able to destroy by chewing on it!!!

• nmgirl
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks for all the kind words. This morning there were goldfinches all over this feeder. I think they like the "littleness" of it.
    I'm not going to be able to post very much for awhile, we have a major computer problem. My DD is graciously letting me use her Mac tonight. She's a sweetie!

• coppertop367
    16 years ago

That is really nice! What a unique idea!!