Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sherril_2008

My garden junk art - everything AND the kitchen sink

sherril_2008
16 years ago

Was just looking at last summer's garden photo's, and wishing for springtime in the Rockie's. Thought I would share my garden sink.

We found it out in the back field at an old friend's farm. It is vintage 1920/30's. We built the stand out of old barnwood and put the sink in it. I put a strainer base in the drain hole for water drainage, and planted it with Viola's. Toward the end of summer it was overflowing with flowers.

{{gwi:132242}}

Comments (20)

• easystitches
    16 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

What a great sink, cute idea.
    I'm longing for spring too.
    But at least we don't have the ten feet of snow that they
    have in Detroit Or an hour from here!!

• justlinda
    16 years ago

Very neat idea. Love the use of the sink like that.

• kirkus
    16 years ago

Beautiful!!!! What a neat set-up you have! I love how you combined your garden treasures into a beautiful display!!!! Love your saying on the wall! Now, I think I want an old sink to use with a potting bench! You have inspired me! I hope you'll post more inspirational pictures! Kirk

• rchovey
    16 years ago

I am also longing for spring. Haven't posted here for a while, don't have any garden junk to share...have been in the winter doldrums! I really enjoyed the picture of the sink, what a cute idea! Made me long for spring even more.

• nonacook
    16 years ago

What a wonderful sink you have!!!
    I love violas, too.
    Everything looks great.

• luvs2click
    16 years ago

I love your sink! I also love the old pans hanging around. Heck, I love the entire scene. Thanks for posting!

Arlene

• Bright199
    16 years ago

Ok, WOW!!!!! I totally love the whole setting. I could sit out there for hours. Thanks for sharing. The grate on the front of the sink is really cool.

• countrygrl
    16 years ago

I love your sink, and I love the whole setting! From the skull to the pots and pans, it's just great! Is that an old wood stove door at the bottom? I hope you'll share more of your junk with us--it's a whopping -1 degrees right now. Brrrrrr! I need some more summertime pictures!!

• akup_a
    16 years ago

I love this scene, so serene! It makes me thirsty for akup_a water. And all the pots just hanging around waiting to be used! It reminds me of Grandma's kitchen.
    What is the brown ring under the flag? Is it part of the flag pole?
    The grate and the (is that an oven door?) really makes it homey.
    good job! akup_a

• luvstocraft
    16 years ago

What a great old sink, and I bet it is gorgeous when the plants fill in and spill out from it. You've made a really great arrangement around it too. TFS. Luvs

• Purplemoon
    16 years ago

That's a delightful vignette you've created, it just draws you in to keep looking at all the neat stuff.

hugs, Karen

• jeannespines
    16 years ago

Another great idea using barnwood! Love your sink and the whole works...the board fence is such a great background for it all! Thanks for sharing! Jeanne S.

• luna_llena_feliz
    16 years ago

Lots of cool stuff! I always thought an old sink would be great in a potting bench but like yours planted with violas. I have eyed up a few wildly colored ones at the Restore. Thanks for the reminder that the world isn't always covered with snow and below zero temperatures!

• Dottie B.
    16 years ago

Love your sink! BTW, I have a birdbath just like that. :)

• kat4kittens2002
    16 years ago

WOW you sure knew what you were doing when you made this outdoor space! great job. reminds me of the inside of an old cabin long ago forgotten. the skull is great. my bro inlaw has one ive tried to talk him into giving me but he is not willing to part with it :( .
    kathy

• goldenpond
    16 years ago

Love your ideas!

• shawnee
    16 years ago

Actually it looks like it should be on the cover of a magazine.

Now, I have a sink, I have a skull...if I ONLY had a fence.

• lady_alicia Zone 5/6 PA
    16 years ago

Love it! What a creative imagination you have. Wish I could come up with something like that. :)

Alicia

• sherril_2008
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks to all for the kind words! I just love the spot, which is just a small area of the big garden picture. I have lots of junk art around the yard.

That old sink weighs a ton! It was all my DH and I could do to load it, and then lift it into the base when we got it built. It is there to stay! He is so good at humoring me though - bless his heart. I hardly ever hear "what are you going to do with THAT thing" anymore. He just says, "ok lets load it up". He always loves the finished projects, and he show the gardens off with a lot of pride.

The grate hanging on the front of the sink as well as the old wood stove door sitting on the ground in front are old stove parts I have been hauling around for quite a while, and finally decided they belonged right there.

akup_a - The brown ring under the flag is a bird feeder. It has a wire mesh base in it for drainage. I picked it up at the local arts & crafts show this past summer.

kat4kittens2002 - I picked that skull up at a yard sale for 50 cents! I couldn't believe the price! I also couldn't believe that it had sat there all day without someone buying it! Of course I live in a ranching community, and I guess the locals here don't view them as art - just dead cows!

The fence in the background is also barnwood. A friend had a barn he was taking out, and told us we could have all the wood we wanted if we'd just take it down. We spent days working on it, but the wood was beautiful and we came up with more than enough to build a 6 foot fence about 40 foot long. It is a beauty, and looks WAY better than the new one we put across the back of our place! We have lots of smaller barn wood pieces left that are also gradually working their way into the yard art. I do not throw out ANYTHING!!

I collect the old enamelware pots and pans, and have a whole collection of them hanging on the back wall of the shed. It looks really nice, but I did not take a picture of the finished work last summer. Will have to get one posted as soon as the snow melts down enough to get back there again!

There was another old sink like this one, still laying in the field at our friends place. He is in his 80's, and has lived there all his life. These sinks were removed from the old house over the years and replaced with updated versions. Then just dumped out in the junk pile. He thinks I am funny because everytime we go visit him, I haul home some more junk. He says I can "clean up" around there all I want - saves him from having to do it!

adina72 - I may have to get the other sink on my next visit. I think the birds would love the idea of a nice big bath somewhere out there. I have smaller round ones, but they are the newer cast iron ones sold at garden shops, and don't fit into the big picture very well. So thanks for that idea!

I spend a lot of time out there in the summer, and really love the serenity. I will see what else I can find in my pictures to post - thanks again for all the great comments, and new ideas!

Sherril

• joyce_zone5
    16 years ago

Love it!

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville