Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
susieq_2007

How to re-purpose satellite dish

susieq_2007
16 years ago

Does anyone have a suggestion for re-using old satellite dishes? Seems like there should be a way to use them for garden/yard art by decorating them or cutting them up or something. (I'm referring to the small dishes from Direct TV & Dish Network. You know if you change from one service to the other, you have the original dish as leftover junk.)

Comments (13)

• justlinda
    16 years ago

Hi Susieq ~ I repurposed one into a bird bath, and did it in mosaics. Here's a photo:

{{gwi:132291}}

• babygirl88
    16 years ago

Justlinda, that is just lovely. awesome job!!

• Dottie B.
    16 years ago

That's a great idea! If you are into fairy gardens, it could be the start of a mini gazebo, or even a gazebo for a birdfeeding station.

• sherril_2008
    16 years ago

I also made a birdbath with one - but just spatter painted it with black green and brown paint to look like rock, then placed it flat on the ground and positioned flat rock around it in a slightly stacked pattern. It is shallow enough for the birds and they just love it.

It was my last project of the summer last year, and I did not get pictures of it. When the 3 foot of snow melts off I will post one! The whole project took about 30 minutes with paint drying time.

Sherril

• TwoMonths
    16 years ago

my aunt makes bird feeders by putting it on a post and drilling some drain holes. I can see a star cutout if you has a plasma cutter. I made a turkey last fall.

{{gwi:132292}}

{{gwi:132293}}

Fan blade tail feathers, paint, pie pan wings, wire beard. Just rearranged the stand and the receiver.

• luvstocraft
    16 years ago

Two months, you are so creative! How did you ever think to make a turkey???? You did a great job on it.

Justlinda, your mosaic is just beautiful. I love the goldfish design.

Luvs

• TwoMonths
    16 years ago

I looked up at the neighbors house at the disc and thought turkey....weird huh. June

• luvstocraft
    16 years ago

Too funny! Glad I'm not your "neighbor" if you're gonna look at my house and think that. Ha ha Just teasing. Luvs

• Kathryn Botard
    15 years ago

Oh my gosh I was just looking at the dish we junked up at our place. My husband hauls scrap iron, or at least he used to and we have a pretty good "junk" pile. Today he said, "let's go to the junk pile so I can find a piece of metal". I got very excited but didn't find anything but an old hinge and a bundt pan. hmmm? On the way out, I saw that satellite dish and was trying to think of what I could do with it. What materials do you use to affix the mosaics? I have some broken dishes that I got from ebay I could use. I didn't buy them broken, but 90% of them came that way. It was such a hassle to send them back and all that I asked the seller if I could just keep them. And now they have a purpose! :-)

• emtnest
    15 years ago

Follow the links and take a look at Big Bob's flicker photos on page two, I think..he has some awesome satelite dishes..
    http://gardenjunk.org/forums/thread/4356.aspx

• chickencollecter
    15 years ago

I used one to make a bird bath. This piece is still put away because I've not yet gotten the tufa stump made for it made. It's suppose to sit in the top of the stump. It's done with safety glass and polymer clay.

Be Safe, Rach

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:132290}}

• corar4gw
    15 years ago

beautiful job! I'm guessing that the blue background color is a sort of tumbled "glass gravel". Where does one find it? I'd love to have some for a project I have in mind.
    cora

• chickencollecter
    15 years ago

corar, I sponge painted the dish with colors that made me think tropical oceans and then applied the safety glass..I think most of the people here call it crash glass...with clear GEII silicon.

Be Safe, Rach