Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nancyjane_gardener

What do you want in a potting bench?

nancyjane_gardener
10 years ago

DH is an out of work wood carver and we have come across a good amount of old barn wood! We also have quite a bit of American rust! I think we're OK for at least 3 potting benches.
What would YOU like on your potting bench?..... Places to hang your tools? Pot holders? Sink? Something cute and pretty?
I'm just trying to get some ideas! thanks! Nancy

Comments (11)

• Marlene Kindred
    10 years ago

Welcome Nancy!

You should do a search on this forum for potting benches. I know there have been several threads about them. My potting bench is in need of a re-do, but what I look for it the right height, places for potting soil, tools, some pots and easy to clean. And a little bling is good too. Good luck with yours.

{{gwi:132321}}

• a.girl.named.max
    10 years ago

Hello Nancy Jane,

Attached is a picture of an outdoor table that has a faucet or pump that you can attach a garden hose to. I like that idea. (I think someone was requesting info on a similar pump in a message earlier today. I'll have to watch to see if anyone responds to that topic.)

I also like the picture of the potting bench that Marlene posted. It has a slats in the top so that potting soil can fall through to a bin below. I also like the idea of casters on the bottom so that it can be moved.

Unfortunately I can't figure out how to post two pictures in the same message so I will post a different message that has a picture of a potting bench that kirkus made a few years ago. I has lots of charm.

It would be great to build a bench that combines features of all three benches. What a dreamer!

• a.girl.named.max
    10 years ago

Attached is the pic of the potting bench kirkus made.

• tapla (mid-Michigan, USDA z5b-6a)
    10 years ago

{{gwi:43058}}

I wanted adjustable ht & a drawer for tools - doubles as my bonsai work station.

Al

• zzackey
    10 years ago

All wood. A back splash to contain the soil and sides to help contain the soil and room down under for a pile of soil.

• concretenprimroses
    10 years ago

Something that won't fall apart in the weather!
    I would love to have one with shelves and storage and water. And of course, beauty!
    Kathy

• freezengirl
    10 years ago

All of these potting bench pictures are seriously drool worthy! I have been 'thinking' about a potting bench for years but never got around to getting permanent one set up. This is going to be the year though!
    Must haves for me: strong shelf on bottom for supplies and hole/slots for soil collection, heavy duty castors, storage drawers or bucket hangers for all those little items I constantly misplace.

• sunnyca_gw
    10 years ago

Cement or stone area under it so it doesn't rot out! Mine was out in yard & while I was occupied with other things for couple of years it is now seriously leaning. Dry rot or termites got it!! So watch where you put it, best if under roof or at least up off the ground. Don't want it out in full sun, at least not in CA. too hot, I enjoyed mine in shade so that is consideration also & might make difference what material it is made of, wood, metal, or brick would be nice too! My brick BBQ is just like it was when new 40 yrs ago when dad & hubby built it. Jan

• zzackey
    10 years ago

I agree with sunnycal. A shady location. I worked in a garden center years ago and that was our therapy room. It had an open side about 2 feet from the top and about 10 feet long and an open doorway for good air circulation. It also had several shelves to store all the empty pots on. I would want a table or two in it so I could put potted plants on it after I potted them up to save time carrying them to where they wanted to be until I was all done potting. Electric and a radio.

• citytransplant(zone5)
    10 years ago

Zakey, that sounds more like a potting shed instead of a potting table. I have an old milk house that I thought I would use as a potting shed, but it is too old and the millions of spiders and numerous other critters like it too much for me. Agh! I would truly love a potting table in the garden area,Been wanting one for the longest time, but again bugs and stuff, plus I figure it would not last long being outside. I would appreciate suggestions on how to preserve one.

• zzackey
    10 years ago

Sorry I got carried away. My potting table is in full sun. It's on the honey do list, but it hasn't happened yet.

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars27 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus