Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jeannespines

Triple Floor Birdhouse for Gardens (think Spring!)

jeannespines
14 years ago

DH & I made this triple floor birdhouse from old barnwood, scrap pine lumber & galvanized pipe brackets.

It has 3 floors in it so can nest many (I hope)! I painted it with light gray & mixed some darker for the roof. Plan to mount it in the lily garden that I've mentioned before as a Spring project ... or maybe it will end up on that "auger" I posted.

Thanks for looking! THINK SPRING! (even though it is snowing again!) Jeanne S.

{{gwi:132413}}

Front view:

{{gwi:132414}}

Comments (14)

• luna_llena_feliz
    14 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

It will be fun to see the birds coming in and out of that one! Love the gray. It should go well with the lilies. What sort of lilies have you planted or plan to plant?

• sweetkountry
    14 years ago

Love the bird house and I think it would look great on top of that auger!

• jeannespines
    Original Author
    14 years ago

luna...Dug up my lilies from garden shed garden & moved them in the fall to a garden that had "ditch lilies." Dug all the ditch lilies (and put them in the ditch...tee hee)...since some trees came down in storms last summer, I'm hoping this garden will have enough sun for lilies...I have reds, yellows, some whites & planted a couple new varieties that had ordered...I'd like to add alot of "white" bdhses & such to the area...here's the area...not good pic cause you see lots of tree branches, etc. from ditch & fence lines...this birdhouse may replace this one:
    {{gwi:132344}}

Here's the auger pic...that might work, too, sweetkountry!

{{gwi:131744}}

Thanks for your comments! Jeanne S. THINK SPRING!!!

• concretenprimroses
    14 years ago

That is wonderful Jeanne!
    Its a beauty for sure. It will be great to see surrounded by lilies.
    Kathy

• imjustsam
    14 years ago

Im trying to think spring, but those photos make me think its quite a ways away. I love the new birdhouse.The gray is just perfect and with all those lillies, it should be wonderful. Although, I don't think I have seen anything you do short of terrific. You have such a knack. Where do people acquire barnboard anyway? Is it really from old barns? I want to get my hands on some in the worst way. I have a project of junk flowers that are just dying to be mounted on a piece of barnboard. Nothing else seems to look right as a background.

• sunnyca_gw
    14 years ago

Love the roof color! Should be "soft landing" for the little babies when they get ready to fly with lilies all around!!Lots of cover to hide in too!! Jan

• Marlene Kindred
    14 years ago

Great job Jeanne! My DH finally decided to put a woodstove in his workshop this past weekend since he's been so housebound in the snow! Haha! Now, I can get him (and myself) started on birdhouses too! You always have the best ideas!

• jeannespines
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks, everyone.
    Marlene...we have the same trouble...DH uses one of those long, kerosene tank heaters to heat it up (but they're too stinky for me & my health)...after it warms up, then he uses a Biotech EdenPure Quartz Infrared portable heater, which is electric. That's when I to out there. On these very cold, long winter days we've had, we can't use the shop either...too hard to heat & too expensive! Just wanted to share that info...wood is good, too. We've had a corn/pellet stove in our basement/family room for some yrs. now & it is not a clean heat...we are going to remove it this summer. Have fun...Spring is coming!
    Jeanne S.

• jeannespines
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Whoops, justsam, I forgot to answer your question, too. We get barnboards from old barns & bldgs. on farms...in IA there are so many that have been lost due to corporate farming now & other issues over time. Do you have any old places in the country that you see? Otherwise, around here people often have barn doors & such at flea markets & antique stores. Good luck! I think it's probably not cost-effective for you if I mail a piece! Jeanne S.

• excessfroufrou
    14 years ago

You all do such great work, that is beautiful. I'm sure the birds will flock to it in no time.
    Syble

• gldno1
    14 years ago

That's a beauty. I hope the martins love it!

I need to get ours cleaned out soon.

• morninglori
    14 years ago

Love the birdhouse! And I love the idea with the auger, who says birdhouse posts can't be creative? This will be a welcome addition to the garden and some happy birdies!

• plainandtall
    12 years ago

Dear Jeanne- I just joined GardenWeb because I happened across this posting the other day and I wanted to comment about your birdhouse. I hope there is some sort of notification system that lets you know there was some activity on this old post from last year. Maybe someone can help me learn how this forum works.

I know my comments are late coming. I'm curious how the birdhouse worked out this summer.

My comment is a combination of congratulations and criticism and I hope you will find it helpful in planning any winter projects for next spring's birds and garden.

I am active with The Purple Martin Conservation Association and am signed up as a "mentor" for folks in my area who are interested in learning more about martins and attracting them to their home. In this case- I'm sticking my neck out with some "outreach" that's unsolicited. And I must be clear- I am not a representative of the PMCA- I'm just a lover of native cavity nesting birds. If you are interested, you can find a mentor close to you at the PMCA website.

The birdhouse that you and your husband made is a commendable beauty of craftsmanship but sadly it's a disaster for native bird conservation. I will include a link to some information about martin biology and at the PMCA website you can download file explaining ideal housing specs- and even buy plans to build state of the art perfect housing (which is quite an undertaking)

There are really only three kind of birds who will nest in close proximity to eachother, English House Sparrows, European Starlings and Purple Martins. The first two are introduced non-native birds who compete aggressively with our native cavity nesting birds for nest sites... including wrens, blue birds and tree swallows as well as most of the woodpeckers. (starlings have been known to kill woodpecker nestlings in order to take over the wild nest site that the woodpecker excavated- so this isn't just about man-made birdhouses) The non-native birds have behaviors that our native birds did not evolve competing with. This is not a matter of "good vs. bad" it's a simple matter of biology and the problems that introducing non-natives can cause for the local ecology.

It would be better to provide no nest sites at all- than to provide nest sites which are only hospitable to these invasive non-native birds as you will only be increasing the burden on the local cavity nesting birds.

Every breed of bird has specific needs- and it is quite amazing how - if you provide the perfect nest site (the right size hole, the right depth cavity, the right height off the ground, perch or no perch, in the right location in your yard) AND you provide an environment free from aggressive competition with the non-natives... you can cultivate a bird family of a specific variety with almost the same assurance as planting a specific seed in the ground. You should never put up a house with the idea that "some bird" will make a nest there- every bird house you place should be so specific that you know exactly which bird you are targeting- as if you sent them a unmistakable written invitation...and when you see your efforts rewarded- it is oh so satisfying!!

Bird houses should never be placed on climbable poles as they just become "egg shops" for snakes, and raccoons. (The auger could not be a more perfectly designed snake ladder.) Also bird houses should not have plantings at the base of the poles as these hide predators from view.

I hope this has been helpful- best wishes- Sarah

Here is a link that might be useful: About Purple Martins

• kirkus
    12 years ago

Jeanne, I can't believe I missed this post from long ago! LOVE your birdhouse!!!! A beautiful creation by you and your hubby! You are my inspiration! I love the birdhouse you made for me for the Secret Santa Exchange! The birds love it too! Keep up the good...no, I mean GREAT...work! Bear Hugs! Kirk