Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kennym_2010

Hand well pump

kennym_2010
10 years ago

Hello to all
I may not be posting this in the correct forum, if not please let me know of a better one.
Here's what I'm looking for. I've searched the web looking for an "old looking" (but new) well hand pump that a hose can be attached to and actually used. Instead of the modern ones seen I.E. On a stake, faucet above hose rack. I have seen one years ago, but I don't remember where. Does anyone have any ideas of web sites or manufactures? Thank you for any input.

Comments (14)

• kennym_2010
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you for your response Marylee. Those are REAL well hand pumps. I reread my post yes, I didn't make myself clear enough. Let me try again.

Years ago (15-20) I saw what looked like a old well hand pump, it wasn't. Instead of pumping it, you just lifted the handle and water run until the handle was lowered, shutting the water off. Basically, an on/off valve (not a true pump) with a supple line underground, like we all use daily.

All I can find is true hand well pumps. To do what I want to do, which is to put a supply of water out to the far side (away from house, so I don't have to drag out 200 feet of hose, snaked through the plants every time) of my garden area. How I have currently seen people achieve this is install (bought all over, big box stores included) a hose holder and hose faucet mounted on a square metal stake. I don't want that look.

I hope this makes more since. If not, I'll try again to explain myself clearer. LOL!
    Thanks again

Kenny

• marylee_2010
    10 years ago

Kenny, I understand what you mean now, but I have never seen that type of well pump. I hope you hear from someone who can help you. Good Luck! Marylee

• posieh
    10 years ago

I think someone has made their own system using an old pump and a well source. We have an outdoor well and I could see that we could use an old pump on it that way. Now we just have a handle that you lift and the water runs, it is easy for us to hook a hose up to it. The pump is electric.

• a.girl.named.max
    10 years ago

Kenny,

Attached is a pic of an RV table. (To me it seems more like the beginning of a nice potting table.) If I read the description correctly, the pump-like faucet could be attached to a garden hose. Is this what you're looking for? If so I will try to find the source of the picture.

• a.girl.named.max
    10 years ago

Kenny,

Attached is a pic of an RV table. (To me it seems more like the beginning of a nice potting table.) If I read the description correctly, the pump-like faucet could be attached to a garden hose. Is this what you're looking for? If so I will try to find the source of the picture.

{{!gwi}}

• tinfoilhat
    10 years ago

Sounds like this might be what you are looking for. Use "Frost Proof Yard Hydrant" or "Yard Hydrant" as search phrase on Google.
    Here is a link to Menard's if they have those in your area.
    http://www.menards.com/main/plumbing/rough-plumbing/valves/yard-hydrants/c-8630.htm

• kennym_2010
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you every one. Posieh, I think you are right, it was a custom design. My guess is they somehow mounted a "Frost proof yard faucet" ( like tin foil hat suggested) in an old hand pump. That will take some pondering to do.

Max, that is the idea. However, instead of using a pitcher pump, I would use a pump that has I hose thread so I can attach a short hose to it. My supply would be underground. Wish I knew how they did that RV table pump, that is the right idea. I agree, looks like the start of a real nice potting table.

City water supply underground, now what type of modifications does the hand pump have to have so it works like a faucet instead of a pump.

I need to talk to someone that knows more about hand pumps than I do.

Thanks for all your input.

• kennym_2010
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Does anyone know how that's accomplished?

• kennym_2010
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Posieh, I reread your post. Am I understanding u correctly, that u are using an old hand pump in this fashion? Lift handle water runs until the handle is lowered to shut it off? Your using electric pump, I would be using city preassure.

• concretenprimroses
    10 years ago

That's nice. I would like that in my back yard instead of hose dragging. I'm so glad to see this. We are going to have to run water to the new garage, maybe we could put one of these just a little further out.
    Kathy

• kennym_2010
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Tin foil hat, that's a great find! Never thought of a search for a yard hydrant. The price is way high ($500) for me though.

• oldcrafty
    10 years ago

That is really neat looking......but that price would definitely scare me away!

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz