Return to the Garden Junk Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hand well pump

Posted by kennym_2010 6 (My Page) on
Sun, Feb 23, 14 at 23:59

Hello to all
I may not be posting this in the correct forum, if not please let me know of a better one.
Here's what I'm looking for. I've searched the web looking for an "old looking" (but new) well hand pump that a hose can be attached to and actually used. Instead of the modern ones seen I.E. On a stake, faucet above hose rack. I have seen one years ago, but I don't remember where. Does anyone have any ideas of web sites or manufactures? Thank you for any input.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hand well pump

Kenny, I am not sure what you are looking for, but I found a couple of places you could look into.

You can go to Search on this page and put "Old Fashioned Hand Pump" and see a few links listed.

If you are looking for a really old style hand pump, here is a link for you.

http://www.ehow.com/how_12212846_install-antique-handoperated-water-pump.html

I am sure there are other posters who will have info for you.

o

Thank you for your response Marylee. Those are REAL well hand pumps. I reread my post yes, I didn't make myself clear enough. Let me try again.

Years ago (15-20) I saw what looked like a old well hand pump, it wasn't. Instead of pumping it, you just lifted the handle and water run until the handle was lowered, shutting the water off. Basically, an on/off valve (not a true pump) with a supple line underground, like we all use daily.

All I can find is true hand well pumps. To do what I want to do, which is to put a supply of water out to the far side (away from house, so I don't have to drag out 200 feet of hose, snaked through the plants every time) of my garden area. How I have currently seen people achieve this is install (bought all over, big box stores included) a hose holder and hose faucet mounted on a square metal stake. I don't want that look.

I hope this makes more since. If not, I'll try again to explain myself clearer. LOL!
Thanks again

Kenny

o

Kenny, I understand what you mean now, but I have never seen that type of well pump. I hope you hear from someone who can help you. Good Luck! Marylee

o

I think someone has made their own system using an old pump and a well source. We have an outdoor well and I could see that we could use an old pump on it that way. Now we just have a handle that you lift and the water runs, it is easy for us to hook a hose up to it. The pump is electric.

o

Kenny,

Attached is a pic of an RV table. (To me it seems more like the beginning of a nice potting table.) If I read the description correctly, the pump-like faucet could be attached to a garden hose. Is this what you're looking for? If so I will try to find the source of the picture.

o

Kenny,

Attached is a pic of an RV table. (To me it seems more like the beginning of a nice potting table.) If I read the description correctly, the pump-like faucet could be attached to a garden hose. Is this what you're looking for? If so I will try to find the source of the picture.

o

Sounds like this might be what you are looking for. Use "Frost Proof Yard Hydrant" or "Yard Hydrant" as search phrase on Google.
Here is a link to Menard's if they have those in your area.
http://www.menards.com/main/plumbing/rough-plumbing/valves/yard-hydrants/c-8630.htm

o

Thank you every one. Posieh, I think you are right, it was a custom design. My guess is they somehow mounted a "Frost proof yard faucet" ( like tin foil hat suggested) in an old hand pump. That will take some pondering to do.

Max, that is the idea. However, instead of using a pitcher pump, I would use a pump that has I hose thread so I can attach a short hose to it. My supply would be underground. Wish I knew how they did that RV table pump, that is the right idea. I agree, looks like the start of a real nice potting table.

City water supply underground, now what type of modifications does the hand pump have to have so it works like a faucet instead of a pump.

I need to talk to someone that knows more about hand pumps than I do.

Thanks for all your input.

o

Does anyone know how that's accomplished?

o

Posieh, I reread your post. Am I understanding u correctly, that u are using an old hand pump in this fashion? Lift handle water runs until the handle is lowered to shut it off? Your using electric pump, I would be using city preassure.

o

Here is a sexier version of a yard hydrant.
http://www.hydrants.com/products/applications/decorative-basic/7-total-eclipse-yard-hydrant.html

o

That's nice. I would like that in my back yard instead of hose dragging. I'm so glad to see this. We are going to have to run water to the new garage, maybe we could put one of these just a little further out.
Kathy

o

Tin foil hat, that's a great find! Never thought of a search for a yard hydrant. The price is way high ($500) for me though.

o

That is really neat looking......but that price would definitely scare me away!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Junk Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here