Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nmgirl_gw

Some great ideas

nmgirl
15 years ago

Found this booth at the local outdoor market while I was visiting my folks. Sorry the shots aren't so great, I was having to take photos in an area full of "walking heads".

Enjoy.

{{gwi:132838}} {{gwi:132839}} {{gwi:132840}} {{gwi:132841}} {{gwi:132842}} {{gwi:132843}} {{gwi:132844}} {{gwi:132846}} {{gwi:132848}} {{gwi:132849}}

Comments (19)

• katishooked
    15 years ago

Beautiful suncatchers. Puts a new swing on how to hang. Thanks for posting

• leveta
    15 years ago

Beautiful....are they sodered in?? How are they put together...

• tennesseetrash
    15 years ago

Wow Love those! Very good pics considering how you had to shoot them, Sylvia. ~tenderlee

• nmgirl
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Leveta, as far as I could tell the glass pieces were leaded in place, I don't know if that's the correct term. They were set in lead, like stained glass.
    I think the hangers were soldered on though, especially the ones on the copper tubing, I'm fairly certain of that.

• Marlene Kindred
    15 years ago

Wow! I take one of each please! Those are just beautiful! Wish I knew how to lead things, but I don't. I just love them all!

• use2bcapecodr
    15 years ago

Gee thanks...I just drooled on my keyboard!! LOL

Those are awesome! I've seen the square ones at craft shows before, but not the fancy ones. I would dearly love to be able to do something like that with some of the great glass pieces I have.

Of course, I'm partial to the big blue one!

~Sandy~

• susiewantsroses
    15 years ago

Did you notice the average price for a piece like that? They are very high level art compared to anything I've ever done. I would love to learn more about glass work someday. Thank you so much for showing us those beautiful pieces. Glad you got to see your mom!!! Susie

• Barbara Kelly
    15 years ago

Well Crap!! I don't need another hobby, but I LOVE those! I just have to figure out how to make them. Grrrr

:) Thanks for the wonderful pictures they are truly beautiful, and I have half those plates in my "totem" collection.. I think a trip to Hobby Lobby for lead, and supplies is in order..

• kelly_oh
    15 years ago

dulcimerduo,
    when you figure out how to do them, LET US KNOW!!!
    They are gorgeous and I'm in LOVE!!!

• smickerdoodle
    15 years ago

Oh Wow! I have never seen any quite like those! They are great! I can look at them and pretty much figure out how to do them. The pieces of glass have thin lead lines around each piece and then they are soldered together. I wouldn't copper foil them since it doesn't hold up well in the elements. I am going to have to pull out the lead and glass and pretty dishes and put some together. I can't wait now....too bad I don't have time tonight....maybe this weekend. I have done the basic technique many times...just have never seen any like these.

• concretenprimroses
    15 years ago

Thank you Sylvia, those are incredible! Micki I thought as soon as I saw them that you could make them.
    kathy

• nmgirl
    Original Author
    15 years ago

OK Micki I think you should post a step by step tutorial when you make one. I'd love to see how it's done!
    : )

• jeannespines
    15 years ago

Smick...second row down...first one on the left...
    try that one!!! (moon shaped cooper with the brown round center that looks like a tree trunk piece!) And, if you don't want it, you can sell it to me! :-) :-OK? Have fun! You will be great!

Dulci...same with you...if you goof it up, send it my way! :-O Ok, maybe just some good pics & instructions!

Thanks, nmgirl, for sharing these...and good luck on selling your home! Jeanne S.

• sunnyca_gw
    15 years ago

Wow!! antique dishes & lead! What a great way to enjoy the past in something that looks new & "in"!! Micki can't wait to see your take on them!! I'm sure it will be lovely!! Jan

• luna_llena_feliz
    15 years ago

What great ideas! Jeanne S. ... we love the same one! I was trying to figure out a way to make them differently, like a mosaic or something. The wheels are churning ...

• Purplemoon
    15 years ago

Those are gorgeous. I want that moon one so bad I can't stand it. WOW.
    Does that crafter have a web site or sell online you think?

{{gwi:77274}}

• nmgirl
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Susierose, I didn't think to check the prices, I was trying to snap photos and not get run over. There was a lively trade going on though, people were lined up to pay.
    Karen, no idea if there's a website. Apparently this artist is a regular at the market so next time I'm there I'll be more inquisitive.

• smickerdoodle
    15 years ago

How big are the big glass globs on these? They look pretty big and I haven't been able to find any like them....Maybe I will have to make my own...

• Dottie B.
    15 years ago

Those are VERY cool! Thanks so much for posting them!

Sponsored
Hoppy Design & Build
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Northern VA Award-Winning Deck ,Patio, & Landscape Design Build Firm