Return to the Garden Junk Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
bottle trees

Posted by tndaisy z7TN (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 16, 11 at 8:47

I would love to hear from folks who have made their own bottle trees. There are a couple of "plans" out there on the web, but because I value all the experience of you "junkers", I'd like to know what worked/and what didn't, along with pics, too, if possible....Thanks in advance!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: bottle trees

I made mine out of a 4x4 and then drilled holes all up and down it at an angle. First I put wood dowels and they didn't last any time. So then put pieces of steel/rebar in the holes and put the blue bottles on them. Its been this way for 5 years with no problem at all.

Donna in Florida

Here is a link that might be useful: Bottle Tree

o

Thanks, Donna- I had the same concern about using dowels.

o

I like your bottle tree. I have one made entirely of rebar that my boss was nice enough to make for me. He unexpectedly said "let's make your bottle tree" I had no time to think about the design, but figured at this point I couldn't be picky! The design is very nice but entirely too big for my small yard, so take that into consideration when making one. Mine has the shape of a Christmas tree , big at the bottom and tapering up. It is about 6 feet tall and holds 25 bottles, it could have well had more branches added making it fuller. The bottom branch is approx 24 inches long therefore the tree is about 4 feet wide! If I had it to do again I think I would rather have one done with the wood in the middle and would definately NOT make the branches so long! Don't get me wrong I love what he did but a repeat performance would be better planned. This tree could be salvaged into a more eye appealing tree by simply adding about 25 more branches. Good luck with your tree, just keep in mind how big a space you are going to put it in, if I had a very large yard mine would be great , as it is I have a very compact yard.

o

Hi tndaisy~

I knew that several of our GJers have bottle trees, so I did a search and put the link at the bottom of the email for you. I also added the link for our GJ album that Purplemoon keeps for us here....hope these give you ideas and instructions.

http://s91.photobucket.com/albums/k302/sangaree_KS/Garden Junk Inspiration Albums/

Here is a link that might be useful: GJ Bottle trees

o

Here is my Bottle tree, a 10ft 4x4 cemented in, with large nails and blue bottles, with barrel hoops on top. Planted a yellow clematis(hope it takes),at the base...

Here is a link that might be useful: Bottle Tree

o

Thanks, Marlene, for the link- so many great trees! I had googled bottle tree, and had searched for it here on GW, and did not get so many hits. It seems to've been a popular topic here on GW. Calamity J- your tree is beautiful, too, and yellow clematis should be gorgeous!

Most all of my bottles came from the recycling center- free is good!

o

I've got to do something with all the blue bottles I've been collecting. There's just toomany choices I can't decide. Love the trees here on this thread.
Kathy

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Junk Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here