Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jannashome

Garden Lady Or Lady Scarecrow?

jannashome
15 years ago

I want to make a "scare-Crow" lady that I can dress to put in my garden. I saw one in a garden once and loved it. I want to know if anyone has an idea for it. I dont know what to make it out of. What would I use for the body and head? I want to go to a thrift store for clothes and maybe a straw hat. We get wind here, and I dont want her undressing on me on a windy day so give me your ideas please!!!

Comments (15)

• susiewantsroses
    15 years ago

A body can be made with PVC pipe and PVC joints. The head is usually one of those wig holders (styrofoam). You can glue the hat on with GE Silicone II Outdoor window/doors caulk. You can wrap the pvc pipe body with plastic grocery store bags until she has a filled out body. I've seen them dressed like farmer's wives with aprons and I've seen them in shaphon wedding/tea dresses. susie

• Marlene Kindred
    15 years ago

Don't suppose you could find an old mannequin anywhere, could you?

• Purplemoon
    15 years ago

Here's one that is in our Inspiration Misc album.

Garden Lady made from old chair, by pattico.
    {{gwi:133015}}

hugs, Karen

• goldenpond
    15 years ago

Here is my gal from a dress form I got at a TS that was going out of BIZ and a wig form fron a beauty store.Pool noodles(foam) make nice bendable arms and doll hair
    {{gwi:133016}}

her attire can be changed

• jannashome
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Oh thank you!! I love these ideas, and your photos are great. I will be making 2 of them as soon as the snow quits. We are getting a late winter all of a sudden here in Utah. I love this site!!! Thanks again, and I will be shopping at the thrift store until the snow melts and I am back outside.

Janna

• cait1
    15 years ago

I made my little guy using wire hangers and plastic grocery bags; stuff we all have lying around.

{{gwi:133017}}

• susiewantsroses
    15 years ago

AH-H-H--H-H-H--H-H-H-H-H!!!!!! I love all of them!!! Ya'll did such a cool job. susie

• nancelee
    15 years ago

Here's a pic of my garden girl made like a scarecrow.target="_blank">{{gwi:133018}}

• nonacook
    15 years ago

The best instructions for a pvc garden girl form
    that I have ever seen came from Connie in Virginia.
    otherwise known as 'bratty brat'. Does someone still
    have her site? If not you can google

PVC garden girl from connie

and it is about the 3rd post down-titled 'totems' etc
    Click on that one.
    You will find the pvc forms on page 3 and 4 Of her site.
    She has lots of beautiful totems too.

• realtorrose
    15 years ago

WOW..now I want one too. They are all great, such clever ideas.

• jeannespines
    15 years ago

Ohhhh, cait...it looks like you have a "little one" in your gardens! That's no scarecrow!!! Reminds me of those dolls my Mom, a winter Texan, brought home...they would stand against the wall... showin'them from the backside...and looked so real...like a little poutin' or cryin'!

Enjoyed seein' the good ideas you've all posted! Jeanne S.

• lindasewandsew
    15 years ago

A larger pic for us old people. lol. Very cute. Linda

{{gwi:133019}}

• tennesseetrash
    15 years ago

Janna, when I read that you don't want the scarecrow to get her clothes blown off, I thought of one created to look like Marilyn Monroe in a white dress getting blown up LOL.

Seriously though, the wind will definitely be a big factor in deciding how to build yours, but I'm sure you'll create a great one! Please share photos when you're finished with it! That's another project on my "to do" list.

Good to cya! ~tenderlee

• nancelee
    15 years ago

Linda, thanks for enlarging the picture. I thought it would enlarge when you clicked on the thumbnail but I must not have posted it correctly.

The pumpkin jugs are wine bottle jugs. My friends save lots of bottles for me, sometimes more than I can use but I never turn them down because you never know what you might get!

Thanks for the comments. Nance

• chelcass
    12 years ago

Old crafty, Is this what you were thinking of??

Sponsored
Hoppy Design & Build
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Northern VA Award-Winning Deck ,Patio, & Landscape Design Build Firm