Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
concretenprimroses_gw

March Project of the Month: Plant labels/signs

concretenprimroses
13 years ago

Hi, I'd like to propose a POTM like we used to do, for March. I am planning my garden, but the ground is covered with snow. A small project that us cold weather people can do indoors is Plant labels or signs for the garden.

I invite everyone to come up with garden junk plant labels or signs for the garden and post pics here in this thread!

Happy junking!

Kathy

Comments (21)

• Marlene Kindred
    13 years ago

I've actually been out in my garden/yard the past couple of days while I'm on spring break from work....I definitely need plant markers...been saving orange juice lids to make some of the markers shown on another thread here, but I like the POTM ideas, so hopefully, we'll see some great ideas here. Thanks for the inspiration!

• garden2garden
    13 years ago

I think it's a great idea. I used to like the POTM. Gives you something to think about. And it's always fun to see everyones different take on them.

There's a pc of wood in the burn pile that's been calling to me everytime I go past it. I'm thinking it would make a good garden sign. This is a good incentive to get it out of there and get something done about it.

Don't despair Kathy, spring is comming! Here in zone 8 I've got violets blooming all over and azaleas and wisteria just starting. The roses are leafing out with a bud here and there.

Happy Junking to you too!
    Donna

• angie83
    13 years ago

I love these you can use any lid small are big and its really no end to how you can get creative with these.
    Angie

Here is a link that might be useful: markers

• angie83
    13 years ago

Hers another idea i liked have done it yet.
    Angie

Here is a link that might be useful: pretty plant markers

• nmgirl
    13 years ago

This sounds like fun and I could use some plant labels.
    I'm in!

• jeannespines
    13 years ago

Great idea, crete...it is that time for us "cold weather" gardeners! Will be fun to see GJ ideas! Thanks for starting this...I've enjoyed the POTM in the past. Jeanne s.

• concretenprimroses
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I had clipped these which were made and posted by our own dcarch a year or so ago, since people are sharing ideas too:

{{gwi:133036}}

Kathy

• luna_llena_feliz
    13 years ago

Great idea! I might even take part in this one. Since I'm not sure what I'll grown, I have been wanting to make a fun sign for the garden. Maybe this will be my kick in the pants to get me started.

• laurastheme
    13 years ago

I made some like dcarch did. They work great.

• chevy57red
    13 years ago

When I was still gardening we made these markers for all of my hostas.

{{gwi:133037}}

• caroleena
    13 years ago

i saw some markers on etsy-they are cute and cheap. made from vinyl mini blinds they just cut to size and decorated the top edge using paper scrapbooking punches.

• caroleena
    13 years ago

my jar lid plant tag . we don't use concentrated juice and i'm sure i'd sever a limb trying to use regular can lids. i bought a 12 pk of ball seal lids, painted them and poked holes using my cropodile. my handwriting sucks so next time i'll stamp with alcohol base ink.
    {{gwi:133038}}

• gardencraze
    13 years ago

I'm a little late ....but this is one of the ones I made for my Markers
    {{gwi:133039}}
    {{gwi:133040}}

• sunnyca_gw
    13 years ago

Gardencraze, I love your sign "Leave room in your garden for the angels to dance" & sign on pot is good idea also. All your painted pots on poles are cute too, sure brighten things up in winter. I like the idea of using Ball lids, I'll use my old ones from canning lids that have been used so rubber no good. I have orange tree so I don't buy juice either. Jan

• jeannespines
    13 years ago

Cute ideas, gardencraze & caroleena! Spring is coming & both of these ideas will be delightful for plant markings! TFS! Jeanne S. (ball lids & terra cotta pots & knitting needles!...who would have thunk! )

• caroleena
    13 years ago

love the little pots. so cute.and so cheerful! btw on my lids i used large colored paper clips to hang them from the roses. i have cats and dogs so the ground is always fair game. my male cat tries to rub up against the rose stems. what a ding dong.lol

• nonacook
    13 years ago

If you have a 'no sharp edges' can opener
    you can used regular can lids-soup and small
    tomato sauce and tomato paste are good sizes for labels.
    I love my can opener!!! I have done snowmen, and used
    3 sizes of lids and Some gallon sized lid faces for
    outdoor use....

• jeannespines
    13 years ago

I've never heard of a "no sharp edges" can opener...mine sure isn't...thanks for that tip, nonacook! Good ideas for those lids! Jeanne S.

• concretenprimroses
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Love the little pots. Jar lids too.
    My attempt was with a bottle from the recycling, but I don't like it. I'll take a pic tomorrow in the day light. So much snow I'm just not into labels yet afterall even tho it was my idea to have a March challenge.
    It would be neat if someone would post an April challenge.
    Kathy

• chere
    12 years ago

I thought someone might like these.

Here is a link that might be useful: Soda can labels

• gardencraze
    12 years ago

I love those soda can markers I make them already. They are so good becuz they don't erase.

Sponsored
MAC Design + Build
Average rating: 4.3 out of 5 stars18 Reviews
Loudon County Full-Service Design/Build Firm & Kitchen Remodeler