Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bookjunky4life

My attempt at the grape vine leaf

bookjunky4life
12 years ago

I do like the copper color so I would probably spray paint them with copper colored paint. The embossing was really easy and really made the leaf have the concavity of a natural leaf.

{{gwi:133165}}

{{gwi:133166}}

Comments (15)

• Calamity_J
    12 years ago

Good job, the veining? looks very realistic!

• azcactusflower
    12 years ago

You did a fantastic job! They should really stand out when you spray them copper. What material did you use to make them. Be sure and post a pic when you spray them. Thanks for sharing your work.

• bookjunky4life
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I cut it out of an aluminum can and then embossed it a pen that doesn't work. I actually thought the others had been made out of aluminum cans and spray painted but I now see she cut them out of copper sheeting.

• Marlene Kindred
    12 years ago

Wow...those look terrific! What do you plan to use them on? And how do you plan to attach them. If you cut some with a stem, you could attach them with the stem I guess. Really like the way it turned out!

• bookjunky4life
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I thought I would do a bottle vine similar to jlily, or just copper vines up the trees and telephone poles.

I'll probably just try glue to attach. I wish I had a soldering gun.

• marylee_2010
    12 years ago

bookjunky4life, You certainly have been busy. Your grape leaves look incredible. Love to see what you come up with next. Thanks for sharing.
    Marylee

• bookjunky4life
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I am a project addict. The problem is there is never enought time to do all of my hobbies and projects.

• jeannespines
    12 years ago

Looks great! Where are you going to use them? Jeanne S.

• jlily
    12 years ago

You did a beautiful job on your grape leaf. I do hope you do the vine, also. Please show us your finished project. Enjoy! Jlily

• spedigrees z4VT
    12 years ago

Very impressive job to say the least! Those leaves look absolutely real!

• sunnyca_gw
    12 years ago

Great job of veining! We always fed our lop rabbit grape leaves, her favorite food so I looked at a lot of them! A vine up a tree will look great, copper with a little blue-green to make them look antique. TFS Jan

• toomuchglass
    12 years ago

Geeze - those are perfect ! How do you get the darn cans to lay flat ? Everytime I try and bend them in the opposite direction ,they get kinked. I have tons of cans - I'd like to make a vine,too !

• bookjunky4life
    Original Author
    12 years ago

toomuchglass - I poke my cans with the tip of the scissor near the top along the calorie information seam. I then cut the top off. I then cut down the aforementioned seam line, making a slight curve at the bottom to cut around the bottom. I then go along the "top" and "bottom" edges and cut them smooth. I've noticed they will be quite jaggedy and thus very sharp. Then I stack them inside of eachother for storage. I have a drawer edge that is very good for straightening. The trick is to not over do it so it curves the opposite direction. I can try to make a video sometime for you. I'm new at this aluminum can crafting thing, and have just figured out my own favorite method to do a lot of this. I have a few hundred cans cut and in storage to use.

• nonacook
    12 years ago

Beautiful leaves! I want to do a vine.
    Have the copper fridge tubing for it, but
    will need to make leaves.
    I thought I would get my 4x4 bottle tree in
    the ground today, but just got my work guy to dig
    the hole, (and 2 others for more 4x4s) and
    transplanted a rose bush. We also pulled five
    55 gal bags full of weeds. We put 6 out by
    the road for pickup next trash day, and just
    stacked the other 5 inside the fence for next
    week. They will only pick up 6 at a time..sigh.
    We worked from 7 am until 2, with a lunch break.

• azcactusflower
    12 years ago

I have a strong feeling that a lot of us junkers are going to be making grape leaf vines to use in our gardens. Thank you to jlily and bookjunky4life for their ideas and creativeity they so willingly share. Just love the idea.
    I also want to hang it on a blue bottle tree. Will post WHENEVER I get it done. It is a WIP in my head right now!!!!