Return to the Garden Junk Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cans and Cones Birdhouses

Posted by passionknit z6 MI (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 3, 12 at 10:24

These look simple enough to make, not sure what I would use for the roof though--a funnel perhaps?

Lots of photos on the gallery page

Here is a link that might be useful: Birdhouses

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cans and Cones Birdhouses

Really cute birdhouses, though in reality I think a metal birdhouse might get too hot to actually live in. I think he formed the cones himself out of sheet metal. Love the color combinations he uses. - Laura

o

Pretty but I think they are more for decoration then useability.

o

Very pretty....love all of the bright colors she uses. She is a serious maker for sure...tons of products. I've never quite known what to think of metal birdhouses...always thought they should probably be somewhere that they could be in the shade for most of the day. But, I love what she's done. Thanks for sharing the link.

o

Very pretty! But I too have doubts about the practicality of actual use. The heat buildup would be horrific in metal bird houses. I've seen some made with "junk" parts, old teakettles, etc that are just really cool but I would be afraid to use them as actual birdhouses. Maybe under a porch overhang in the shade where the sun couldn't get to them.

Sandy

o

WOW!
Lots of great ideas here.
They could be hung from a tree limb
in the shade, instead of on a pole.
Wonder about the prices.....

o

Aren't they pretty!
Yeah, I don't think the birds would actually live in them tho.
Kathy

o

Boy -- they're tall,too ! I recognize all sorts of little bits and pieces on them. Impractical for birds -- but great to look at !

** She should have called them "Gnome Homes".

o

Actually I never even considered using them as a birdhouse. I thought they would be a fun way to add height and color to the garden.

I have a birdhouse made out of an old gasoline can and a wren made a nest inside, though I don't know if she stayed and raised her brood or not.

o

Down here in Texas, if a mama bird was dumb enough to nest in a metal house, she'd have boiled eggs in 24 hours. However, I agree they are really cute. I love the colors!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Junk Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here