Return to the Garden Junk Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Carnival Glass

Posted by marquest z5 PA (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 8, 12 at 10:48

Anyone made any totems with this glass? I found one piece this week and was thinking how beautiful it would look as a totem bird bath.

I went on Ebay and there are some pieces that are not too expensive since I want it for the front of the house garden, Making one would still be cheaper than what I see Birdbath cost at the stores since they are running between $20 - $50.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Carnival Glass

Carnival Glass in a totem ? I hope you have honest people by you -- something made with collectable glass could be tempting to steal ! I could honestly say I've never seen that kind of glass in a totem..... it would probably look awesome in the sun.

Milk Glass looks very pretty in a totem and it's reasonably priced in thrift stores. It wouldn't be so heartbreaking if it got broken or stolen. Be sure & let us know what you decide :)

o

TM I think I live in Honest USA. The garden centers in my area leave their plants out without protection and no one bothers to take them.

One Sunday I stopped at a local Nursery by my home and had 4 plants in my hand went to the door and realized they were closed. lol

So they would be safe now broken might be the problem. There is some that is not of a big interest to the collectors that was made late in the 80s I think. I found the piece I picked up at the thrift store on ebay 7.99 and I paid 99 at the thrift store.

o

I used a scalloped carnival glass bowl for a birdbath totem and I really like it. It does reflect the sun very well. I don't think I have a picture of it or I would post it for you to see. The birds enjoy it though. I actually can find carnival glass as cheap around here as any other type, so I use it.

o

marquest, I hope you mean "fake" carnival glass - reproductions.

o

gardenway, what I have read is the collectors only want the pieces from 20s and 30s. So what I would be using is probably junk and not up there with collector status.

o

I have some very nice pcs in my totems, cuz they shine so nice out there in the yard and hey, if they're just gonna sit around and collect dust....might as well let mother nature give em a rinse once in a while! ;-)

o

Do they hold up well outside?

o

Life is short enough- glass is only a thing- USe it!
and enjoy it!

o

I agree. How is having it sitting on a shelf gathering dust where better?
Kathy

o

Carnival Glass turns a funny color if left in the sun too long, might do better in a shade garden.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Junk Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here