Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bookjunky4life

Aluminum can birds

bookjunky4life
12 years ago

I bought these little bird decorations at the dollar store for a $1.50 (one cardinal and one a bluebird) so that I could cut them apart and use them as a pattern to make my own. I taped the one I made out of a can in place of the one I cut off for comparison. I plan on painting them and embossing the lines on the wings and tail from the back side really gives it some shape.

Image link:

Comments (16)

• marylee_2010
    12 years ago

Very nice. I like them. I am making some aluminum can birds, but I am attaching the wings across the body and I am going to hang them in my tree. There are certainly a lot of people using aluminum cans lately. Thank you for sharing.

Marylee

• bookjunky4life
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Marylee, I hadn't thought of making somewhat three dimensional birds... thanks for giving me more ideas, all I need is MORE projects :-) Do you have photos of yours?

• Marlene Kindred
    12 years ago

Cute idea! I also like Marylee's idea of the horizontal wings to hang in a tree. TFS!

• bookjunky4life
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Here is the bluebird.
    {{gwi:133209}}

• marylee_2010
    12 years ago

I like your blue bird. I notice that you have put their wings down instead of up. They are cute either way.

I haven't posted a picture for a long time, but I will try my hand at it.

Marylee

• marylee_2010
    12 years ago

Well, here I am. I am going to try to post a pic of the bird I have done. It is just my pattern. I glued front and backs to the body and wings, but I think my others will be single layer and I will paint them. Like I said, this is only my first one. Had a problem trying to take a pic outside. It sure flutters around in the breeze.

Marylee

• sunnyca_gw
    12 years ago

Cute birds! I was telling my dad some of you were making adorable birds from aluminum cans. Dad looked at me & said "You have my permission to take all aluminum cans from our house to make birds with" (he's 95 & raised all kinds of birds in his lifetime- real ones we got after his stroke & put on patio didn't fair too well so hoping a couple of this kind do better! Thanks for the different ideas on how to make them. I love the little bluebird above & someone had a cute cardinal. I have V-8 Fusion cans that are colorful so might try using outside of them. The root beer are just tan/brown so not very colorful so think would be great for bluebirds. Jan

• marylee_2010
    12 years ago

I am sorry I am not able to post my picture. I have the instructions and for some reason they are not where they are supposed to be. As soon as I find them, I will try again. My picture is in Photobucket. I just have to get it the rest of the way. It's probably some little step I have forgotten to do. Marylee

• bookjunky4life
    Original Author
    12 years ago

You copy/paste the 3rd link down under the photo in photobucket and just paste it in the body of your message here.

• marylee_2010
    12 years ago

I am still fighting my computer, but during a break I made a new pattern for my flying bird and I like it better than my first one. Since I can't furnish a pic, I will just tell you what I did. I cut out a bird body (6-1/4 in. from beak to end of tail) and a set of wings (6-1/2 in. from tip to tip) from an aluminum can. The wings are cut as one piece. In the center of the piece I left 1/2 in. to be folded over the back of the bird body. I used a nail to make two holes in the folded wings and back of the bird body. I inserted filament thread through the holes and made a hanger. I then folded the wings up away from the body and they look really nice fluttering around in a tree. I hope this makes sense.

Marylee

• toomuchglass
    12 years ago

They are so cute ! Can I make a suggestion ? If you're making the "love bird" sign behind them ..... with the bird on the left - flip it's wing over to the back and aim it forward - then they'll be * holding hands *
    ( wings ) ;)

• marylee_2010
    12 years ago

I am going to try to post the pic of
    {{gwi:133210}}

my flying bird again.

My picture is too large, but I am just glad I got it here. Also I notice that I put the wings on backwards...I will remedy that on my others. Marylee

• bookjunky4life
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Looks pretty cool!

• jlily
    12 years ago

Cute birds. Such artistic people we have here. Cute with wings either way. ENJOY! Jlily

• sunnyca_gw
    12 years ago

I like that Marylee! Glad you figured out how to post! TFS Jan

• jeannespines
    12 years ago

marylee& bookie...I would have cut myself to pcs trying this! So good for you gals! Jeanne S.

Sponsored
Dream Outdoor Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Providing Quality Home Improvements in South Riding for Over 30 Years