Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
becky_ia

More Crystal Dish Flowers

becky_ia
16 years ago

After being inspired from this forum, I decided this would be great to create! I am going to a gardener workshop/show this weekend and will display them. I have NEVER seen anything like these. I think they should be conversation pieces! What do you think?

Also, another question, does anyone have a suggestion as to what people might be willing to pay? I know what I have in them, and with the price of copper...they aren't cheap to make! I don't want to give them away but because they are so much fun to make, if I sell them all....I can make some more! I just want to be fair.

Becky

{{gwi:133365}}

Comments (29)

• garden-potter
    16 years ago

Those are so pretty! Could you post a close-up of one? And a close-up of the back? How did you attach yours?
    I'm just guessing of a price but I would say about $20-$25?? I've been collecting several pieces and can't wait to get started on them. Good Luck at the show! Let us know how it goes and maybe take some pictures there!!

• toomuchglass
    16 years ago

OOOOOOOOOooooooohhhhhhhhhh Becky !! Crystal ones !!! Now THAT's a great idea ! How are you planning on displaying them ? I'm at a loss on how to do that. ( I try & keep my display stuff light ) You'll have to charge enough to cover the cost of the copper pipe ! I dread checking the prices on them .... ugh. As for cost - anything above $25 sounds right.

• becky_ia
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Here are a couple of pictures-close ups and display. For the display, I just used a 5-gallon bucket and covered it with contact paper, filled it 1/2 full with silica sand and stuck in the copper. The copper is running about $2 a foot...the biggest expense. I am also going to suggest to people to put a steel re-rod in the ground first and slip the copper over it. That way, it will be sturdier and not so easy to tip over. I broke my very first one when I had it propped up against a wall and it fell over and broke into a million pcs.

Becky
    {{gwi:133366}}
    {{gwi:133367}}
    {{gwi:133368}}
    {{gwi:133369}}

• use2bcapecodr
    16 years ago

Very pretty! Great variety!

They remind me of lollipops!

~Sandy~

• Calamity_J
    16 years ago

With the copper tubing, plates, etc, I'd say $30 at least, but I'm having the same idea of selling some stuff and don't know about pricing. You should post a pic of your lovely crosses too!!!

• Dottie B.
    16 years ago

Those came out great. I have no idea about what to charge. I'd say the cost to make each one and then double it (don't forget to add time involved, maybe $10/hour).

• mjowest
    16 years ago

That's just what I was going to say.

Double your cost- at least. That's what I'm going to 'try' to do-

Did you use a copper flange in the back? I'm using this big ol metal thingie that looks like a big black pipe. I'd like to try some copper. I found out that Menards will not cut the pipe for you.

• becky_ia
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Here is a picture of the back of the flowers as requested by garden-potter. I wish it was a bit clearer, but if you look close, you can see how we have attached the flowers. We drilled holes through 2 or three pieces of crystal, run a bolt & washer through it and use a nut to fasten to the copper stake that also has a hole drilled through it. We put a copper cap on top to keep bugs and rain out.

{{gwi:133370}}

• Bright199
    16 years ago

They are soo Beautiful!!!! I like the curly cue leaves. Are they Painted??? Thanks for all the wonderful pictures.

• daisyme
    16 years ago

You have made a BEAUTIFUL garden of flowers! You must hate to let ANY of them go! I love the crystal. What did you use for centers? Just wonderful!

Daisy

• lefd05
    16 years ago

Those are so cute!!!
    I might just have to make some of those.:)

• nanatricia
    16 years ago

Those are beautiful The custom pricing is supose to be 3 times what you put in it .I have been doing hand made items for years still have a hard time pricing them .No matter how hard or easy you do put a lot in it .

• luna_llena_feliz
    16 years ago

Very pretty! They should sell well in the $20 to $25 range. They look like such a pretty glass garden.

I have some plates and votive holders that I would like to use for some glass flowers but have no idea where I'd display them! lol! There is just so much you can put on a tiny balcony. I might have to make some for friends and family.

• mzclassic
    16 years ago

Those are BEAUTIFUL!!! Did you have any problem drilling the holes in the glass? Please let us know how you do with your sales?
    Donna

• becky_ia
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thank you for the nice comments and all the help on the pricing. They are lots of fun to make, The most fun is the searching for "just that right piece"! And no, they aren't painted. The colored centers are candle votives, the other parts are small curved plates, bowls, glass ash trays, and candle holders. The centers are a variety of things. Old broach pins, jewels, 1/2 marbles, an old earring. What ever I have in my stash. The drilling of the holes is not hard if you have a diamond glass bit. I went through two doing these, as it dulls the bits after the first couple. I will let you all know how the sales go this Saturday. It is at a Garden Symposium in Waterloo, Iowa which is about 35 miles from where I live. They usually have about 120 people come for the day of workshops. Everyone will have spring fever and be ready for gardening, although we still have a lot of snow to get rid of this year. So hopefully they will be ready to buy gardening instead!

Becky

• sweetkountry
    16 years ago

When you drill glass, do you use a regular drill?

• becky_ia
    Original Author
    16 years ago

My husband has a drill press that we put the diamond bit in. He just slowly puts the hole in the middle of the glass. Sometimes it goes right through, sometimes, it breaks the glass. Just depends on the piece.

• texann
    16 years ago

What did you use to make the leaves? They really give a nice effect. Very clever and well done!

Anne

• Randy Ritchie
    16 years ago

Just BE-utiful!

I am thinking of maybe an array of them wired together with that bendable wire cable - rows of horizontal crystal dish flowers, wired together lattice-style, to hang in front of a window. Kind of instead of a curtain. Would catch and reflect pretty colors in my dining area, let the light in, and yet block the view of my neighbor....

Great ideas all!

girlsaylor

• neetsiepie
    16 years ago

Those are so cute Becky. I used to sell stuff at craft shows, similar concept as your flowers. I priced my pieces from $15.95 (for tea cup feeders) to $35.95 for the birdbath on the lower right. Most things were about $19.95-$22.95. I found that the .95 made it easier for people to fork over a $20 bill. haha.

I found the green buckets at WalMart and filled them with kitty litter or cheap laundry detergent. I tried sand, but found it didn't work so great. Didn't try silica sand, it's probably more like the laundry soap.

I've 'retired' from craft shows, but I did agree to do one coming up in June. I have a ton of plates left over, so I might try a few flowers.

A few years ago on GJ, someone did dish flowers using dinner plates. I made a few, just like your glass ones, but I never considered glass flowers!

Good luck at your sale!

{{gwi:133378}}

• mary_ruth
    16 years ago

These are WONDERFUL! LOVE your work!

• sherril_2008
    16 years ago

Just a thought to save some money on these.

Someone on this forum (Sorry - I don't remember who it was) makes the stems for these flowers using plastic pipe instead of the more expensive copper pipe.

They just use the spray paint for plastic and paint them a copper color. They look very nice and the price is a fraction of the cost for making these with copper pipe. The paint for plastic is very durable and comes in a nice variety of colors, including several copper colors.

I bought a color called hammered copper for a bowling ball I am working on, and it looks very much like weathered copper.

• coolcutz42
    7 years ago

I used galzanized pipe and also rebarb painted both. What are you using for leaves? I charge 25.00

• mjojowest
    6 years ago

Price to sell really depends on your area- the higher end places here in MI are selling them $30-$40, but I sell them from $10 (don't have a fit, I cut 5 stems from a 10' pipe and make smaller ones) up to $30. You can price them and see how they sell, and start having sales-10% off in July, 25%off in August, etc. I LOVE the crystal glass ones. I do not have success drilling 'glass'- I always use some sort of ceramic on the back- sometimes a smaller plate, put on backwards. I use water, too, for the diamond drill bit drilling. It's a mess, but it works. Practice on pieces you don't love first!!!

• The_Kat
    6 years ago

mjojowest, I was thinking $30-$40 too especially for "flowers" that use copper piping and drill into the glass.

• Shades_of_idaho
    6 years ago

One thing I found about the copper tubing is is can kill vegetation. I poked a copper pipe stem into the center of a clump of ground cover and it all died off for about one foot around the copper stem. :'( then I moved it to another place and same thing happened. Guess it took me time to figure out the problem. I do use conduit too and it is fine. I do not even spray mine.

• The_Kat
    6 years ago

Shades_of_idaho(4/5), I never thought of the copper affecting the vegetation around it. You'll have to post pictures of your glass flowers. I've always wanted to make some...even bought plates, candle holders, and such for them...but debated whether to drill or glue. I spent so much debating that I never got around to doing. lol These are a few that I have saved for inspiration and are some of my favorites I found on Pinterest:

The last two are by Washington artist Mike Urban. I like how he makes the stamens out of wire and what looks like glass beads on the ends.

• HU-719907614
    5 years ago

Hi, Eager to make some glass flower,but hard to,find the glass. has anyone tired paointing clear glass with glass paint. wonder if it will last in the heat in Az.Also,if you use pv

vc pipe,what diameter should be used.thanks Terry

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting