Return to the Garden Junk Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What can I do with these?

Posted by rafor (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 27, 11 at 12:42

I have several large (about 12" tall) plastic things, with a lid, in the shape of a beehive. Pretzels came in them. I just know someone here can come up with a stupendous plan for them. I thought I could attach them to the side of the garage and maybe birds would nest in them. I don't know if they would since they are clear plastic. The lid is yellow and I could make a smaller opening for an entrance rather than the 3 inch wide opening in the jar itself. Maybe I could just use it as a bird feeder, but the squirrels would probably get it in. Any other creative ideas out there?

beehive 2

beehive 1

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What can I do with these?

That looks like a bee hive bird house to me Hehehehe
Angie

Here is a link that might be useful: Dont throw that away 1#

o

Yup, definitely a beehive ... I think I would take some old rope ...like clothesline or a heavier rope & Silicone II for Doors & Windows to glue it on ... & drill a 1" hole in the plastic lid...would be a great birdhse!

I've used rope on pots & bowling ball before...but with this beehive shape you have, I think it would look cool. Jeanne S.

Rope Planter for Deck 5.09

o

ok, where do you buy the pretzels, so i can get some of those jars.

o

I like the idea of the rope. I might lose some of the ridges if I wind rope around it. Will birds nest in it if I leave it clear?

digger: I got the snacks at BJ's, a warehouse club around New England. They are actually those honey wheat twists, not pretzels.

o
Or this

Another idea would be to mount it horizontally, drill a few small holes in the bottom of the side for drainage, and turn it into a terrarium/planter.

o

If you want to use them for birdhouses but not leave them clear, paint them, plain or with design, flowers etc. Orrrrrrrrrrrr decoupage them, or mosaic. Hmmmmmmm wonder if Costco sells the honey wheat twists?????? Also you could use one for a frog house.

Be sure to post pictures of your creations. Have fun!

o

Gee those are nice jars.

I wouldn't have thought of it if you hadn't had it on it's side in the first pic, but that one looks like a big fat bottle bug.

o

Gee those are nice jars.

I wouldn't have thought of it if you hadn't had it on it's side in the first pic, but that one looks like a big fat bottle bug.

o

I would stack them 3 high, gluing them together. Microwave plate on bottom and glass plate on top. I would fill them with red lava rock, pine cones,shells, colored water, sand etc... And put a potted plant or whatever on top. Or spray paint them with paint for plastic but still put something for weight in the bottom one. Or decoupage on the inside---not sure how easy or how that would look.

They are such a fun item; my mind is spinning!!!

Hope to see pics of what you do with them.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Junk Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here