Return to the Garden Junk Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
bottle tree and glass totem question

Posted by swag1981 MI (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 26, 12 at 12:48

I have collected the bottles and the rebar to display my collection. We have an old stump that is a few inches about the ground that we are going to drill random holes in, then put different lengths of slightly curved rebar in the holes and top with the blue bottles. My question is how do I protect the bottles from the top of the rebar? Same question for if I make a glass totem and set it on top of a metal rod/pipe. Any ideas?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: bottle tree and glass totem question

I have seen a product that coats the handles of metal tools to give you a better grip. Seems to me that would work well.

Here is a link that might be useful: plasti Dip

o

That stuff works great. We use it on our tool handles. Once it's open , it seems to dry up really fast. Gather up alot of things to coat all at the same time.

o

he re bar will not hurt your bottle. I have used thinner to thin down the plastic coating when it gets a little dry.

o

I dropped a bottle a little hard over a piece of rebar and had broken glass all over. I use a dab of adhesive putty now on the end of the rebar before I put a bottle on it. (The same stuff you use to stick pictures, etc to the wall or woodwork--you get it in just about any store in the stationery dept). It works fine, and lasts a long time since the bottle protects it and it never gets wet. Modeling clay or something like it would work too.

Sandy

o

Hot glue gun.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Junk Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here