Return to the Garden Junk Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Drilling Tea Cups or Tea Pots?

Posted by mjowest 5 (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 14, 11 at 12:59

Has anyone successfully drilled a tea cup?

I guess I'm looking for a drainage hole, or maybe a bird hole in a tea pot???

any words of wisdom, other than start with one I don't really like? :)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Drilling Tea Cups or Tea Pots?

My DH and I use the same diamond bit that we use on glass plates to drill into china/stoneware and it usually goes through without a problem...in fact much faster than through the glass. That would work for a drainage hole, but I don't know if you could find one big enough for a birdhouse entrance....good question though. I'm thinking it was mzclassic who made a teapot into a birdhouse...you might try doing a search on the GJ forum for her.

o
found the link

Hope this will work...it's the one I was thinking about that mzclassic did a couple of years ago...actually she didn't drill a hole, she glued the top on as an awning.

https://picasaweb.google.com/mzclassic/Garden#5166453336027472258

o

Here's the link to a similar thread. Scroll down to see photos of different drill bits. I use a one inch diamond bit like the one in the bottom photo, which is about $30 at HD and Lowes, but will drill a couple of hundred holes if you don't let it overheat. If one inch doesn't make a large enough bird hole, they come in larger sizes. These bits are simple to use and drill through china, ceramic, glass, pottery, just about any material pots are made from. Follow the directions on the package to minimize breakage. Linda

Here is a link that might be useful: Drill bit info

o

thanks! I got a drill press for christmas(!) and have been happily drilling plates, but am ready for a new challenge!
I hope to let you know how it goes.. :)

o

I have been successfully using my Dremel with a diamond core bit but Dremel recalled its diamond core bits. So sad. DBF gave me a drill press but I'm intimidated by it so it's just been sitting on my work bench for over six months! The drill press is variable speed and I haven't figured how to clamp tea cups, vases, etc. I seems like I'll need four hands to make it work. Maybe I'll try to garner up enough courage to give it a try next week. Maybe ....

o

"---and I haven't figured how to clamp tea cups, vases, etc. ---"

Use hot glue gun to glue cup/vase on flat wood, clam wood to drill press.

After hole is drilled, melt glue in oven.

dcarch

o

darch,

How hot should the oven be?

Thanks, Max

o

Rest the cup/vase on something sideways in the oven and gradually turn the heat higher, until the wood base falls off.

If the cup/vase is glass, make sure you don't wet it with water or it will crack if it is still hot.

dcarch

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Junk Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here