Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jeannespines

Garden Mushrooms & Facerocks Ready for the Garden!

jeannespines
14 years ago

Been working on some cement mushrooms & my fav Facerock mold for my gardens...poured this winter & just painted some up this week. The mushrooms are made from empty toliet paper rolls & glass bowl...the facerock from a mold I bought on e-bay:

{{gwi:130112}}

Closeup of mushrooms:

{{gwi:133522}}

Here's the rock again:

{{gwi:132547}}

And here's the facerock in the cement form (unfinished):

{{gwi:133524}}

They will look much better when they are out where it is "green" again (not yet!) & in amongst the plants!

I used metallic acrylic paints (those small bottles you can buy anywhere) & then spray on a coat of Rusteoleum Clear Enamel...the one mushroom is Patio paint (same small bottles) & then I don't need to use clear enamel.

I leave outside & last yr. the paint lasted pretty good except for one spot on the nose. Thanks for looking! Jeanne S.

Comments (33)

• kathi_mdgd
    14 years ago

Good job,i like the face.I have a couple faces,but bought mine several years ago at a discount store.
    .How do you use the tp rolls,don't they collapse under the weight of the concrete??
    Kathi

• concretenprimroses
    14 years ago

Love the mushrooms. That brown color is just perfect. I've got to make some this year. What mix did you use for your concrete?
    Kathy

• jeannespines
    Original Author
    14 years ago

crete - The concrete is QuickCrete (sp?) a masonary type (like for brick-laying...not kind with lots of pebbles in it)...don't know porportions but mix it to consistency of pudding-like.

kathi...pour into glass bowl...then I push the empty tp roll down into the bowl a bit...and then add mixed concrete into the tube. A day or so later can tip the bowl out & tear carboard tube off the mushroom stem....seems to work pretty good.

Thanks for comments...Jeanne S.

• doodys
    14 years ago

did you have to coat the bowl with anything so it wouldn't stick?

• sunnyca_gw
    14 years ago

They came out well! Nice addition to your garden! Jan

• grandmathyme
    14 years ago

They're delightful! I was thinking I'd made just about everything I needed with regards to yard art and coming back here as Spring fever is taking my mind over, you gals are coming up with LOTS of new ideas for me!

About how big is the bowl you used to make the mushroom tops? I'm thinking they're probably smaller than I thought at first glance since the proportioning of the top and stem are perfect and the stem is a TP roll which isn't all that big. I'm imagining a couple really BIG ones for a certain spot in my yard that needs something hefty...and using a bigger bowl and perhaps an oatmeal container for the stem.

Do they sit OK in the garden without falling over...I'm thinking maybe I'd have to put some sort of tube (PVC or metal) through the center that sticks out the bottom to help hold them into the soil...but then, I have a German Shepherd who loves to tip my garden projects!

Thanks for sharing!

• jeannespines
    Original Author
    14 years ago

doodys..I coat the glass (or plastic bowl) with Pam (spray veggie oil).

Thanks, sunny!

rainy..yeah, my dog could knock 'em over also...I just put them among my flowers in the dirt & mulch a little bit...most stand on their own...sometimes the bottoms don't come out even...so in the dirt they go..thought about using something like a rod to put in ground...which you probably would want to do with large mushrooms when you pour them...these smaller ones do ok as is...they are sitting on my papercutter so you can kind of judge size. Have fun! Jeanne S.

• rosessecretgarden
    14 years ago

NIce job...face rock is really cute and your gave me nice idea for making mushrooms for my yard decor as well.. ;)
    thanks buddy and keep up the good work

• chevy57red
    14 years ago

Now those are by far some of the cutest I have seen.
    Looks like I may have found a summer project for me whem we head back north for the summer..
    mmm... wonder if the rv park will mind all of the cement products in the works?

• cait1
    14 years ago

I love 'em! And using the quickcrete sounds so much easier than making cement. Thanks for the details on how you made them. Something else to add to the list!
    Guess I'll have to retrieve that tp roll I just threw away!

• excessfroufrou
    14 years ago

Those are too cute. The mushrooms are my favorite, the colors are perfet, I can't wait to see them in the green, soon.
    Syble

• Marlene Kindred
    14 years ago

Really cute Jeanne! The mushrooms will look totally real out in the garden I bet!

• luckygal
    14 years ago

I like those, Jeanne! They have a much more natural look than the glass ones I made. I even like the unfinished face - I think I'd use it like that.

Another project to add to the list - think I'll ever get done? ;-)

• kudzukween
    14 years ago

oh,sweet! i love the color..very realistic.

one tip i read on here somewhere is to use dinner knives. push one into the stem when making it, and it makes a great stake.
    they go so well with those cute bunnies!
    kudzu

• laurastheme
    14 years ago

Those mushrooms are wonderful! Makes me anxious to get my hands into concrete mix.

• imjustsam
    14 years ago

Thanks a lot for the idea. I know you did a couple mushrroms once before and you MADE me go get some sakrete. Right now I have 25 in my basement just waiting to emerge. There are big ones and small ones and tiny ones. Some have sparkles and they have a variety of bottoms, since I have only had 4-5 toilet paper rolls(I can only do so much)hahaha.Pics will be coming soon. BTW i did put some rod like pieces in my TP roll before it hardened. The first 2 mushrooms kept tipping over in the yard and I wanted a little more stability. I just used some of those rods the utility people are always sticking in my yard.

• souperwoman
    14 years ago

here's the post i did with my mushroom process (i use butter knives as stakes).

http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/load/junk/msg051218239412.html

{{gwi:133525}}

{{gwi:133526}}

Here is a link that might be useful: My indoor and yard art albums

• jiju
    14 years ago

Really nice mushroom ideas!!!

• jeannespines
    Original Author
    14 years ago

souper...those are cute mushrooms...I like the texture! I haven't tried that bubble wrap yet...TFS! And, thanks GJers for the comments! Jeanne S.

• Sandplum1
    12 years ago

Love these mushrooms!

• jeannespines
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Good winter projects! Thanks sandplum! Jeanne S.

• Calamity_J
    12 years ago

I have a mushroom planned for one of my "Project List 2012"

• oldgraymare
    12 years ago

I love them!!!

• azcactusflower
    12 years ago

all the mushrooms are amazing. What a talented group. Another idea to file away for springtime. Thanks for sharing.
    souperwoman I love your chandi with the gazing balls. What did you use to make the gazing balls. Another idea to set to brewing in my little head!!!
    All your projects are super nice, I love your carousel horse. My neighbor has an old bouncing horse behind his shed and I am trying to talk him into giving it up! He is softening!!
    Thanks for the pics and for sharing.

• jeannespines
    Original Author
    12 years ago

More 'shrooms from March of this yr (2011) ... love 'em & yes, we tried the bubblewrap thanks to souperwoman...fun!

{{gwi:133527}}

Something I can work on in the Winter! ;-) Jeanne S.

• Sandplum1
    12 years ago

Jeanne, I'm curious to know what bowl you used to achieve the raised top/middle on some of your mushrooms.

Carol

• jeannespines
    Original Author
    12 years ago

sandplum...just a garage sale 'footed' green glass bowl I found & it looked interesting for a 'shroom...it worked good...use spray cooking oil before pour in Quikcrete. Have fun! Jeanne S.

• loo55
    11 years ago

I am new to gardenweb, been looking for a long time though. This is where I found the idea and got brave enough to try making a few concrete mushrooms! Here's pic of my first attempt, I would like some honest opinions!

• loo55
    11 years ago

And here's one more pic of plain ones not using the bubble wrap!

• jlily
    11 years ago

Those are soo cute. I feel some mushrooms might be sprouting in my garden. TYFS Jlily

• cnm1
    11 years ago

Wow welcome!! Those came out great - warning this site is SOOO addictive.

• Calamity_J
    11 years ago

I LOVE Shrooms!!! Good job everyone!!! I am so inspired to make some with the flat top now, so I can sit gnomes, faereys, etc on them! LOVE the bubble wrap and also the rebar!

• jeannespines
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Those look great, Loo55!! I like 'em w/bubbles & w/o! You did a great job! Lookin' good in your gardens! Cute froggy in front of that lil' one!

Yes, lots of great ideas & sharing on this forum! Lots of cool 'shrooms! @calamity...if you have any patio umbrella spokes to recycle...we use them for 'stakes' ...pour 'shroom stem in TP cardboard base & stick the cut-off section of 'spoke' right into the TP base...works great! Jeanne S.

Sponsored
Fine Designs & Interiors, Ltd.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Columbus Leading Interior Designer - Best of Houzz 2014-2022