Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
amyinms

different kind of planter

amyinms
17 years ago

Someone sent me this link today and I wanted to share I would have never thought of it!! Would be a good way to use up some pipe scraps

Amy in MS

Here is a link that might be useful: PVC Pipe planter

Comments (12)

• kudzukween
    17 years ago

Excellent :) That's a great idea,Amy,thanks for sharing. I hope I can find the wire hanger or something to hang it with. I'm going to try to make some,if I do,I'll show pics :) have a great day!

• TwoMonths
    17 years ago

thanks, I have all the supplies except the caps. Will get the DH busy this weekend, lol. I am gona make some birdhouse out of it also, like on B. Original.

• nmgirl
    17 years ago

This looks intriguing, I need to make a couple of these!
    I got my two teapot birdhouses put up today. Thanks to Flagtruck for the inspiration!

• tomplum
    17 years ago

We just made a strawberry planter much the same way. I used 6" pvc sewer pipe (unused obviously ;) , drilled 25 1" holes in a checkerboard pattern around the pipe. I then capped the bottom and ran a drip system up throgh the center. I hear they work great. . .we'll see!

• Woodsy
    17 years ago

great idea! thanks for sharing...I saved it to my favorites..

• kudzukween
    17 years ago

Just thought I'd mention,my DH went right out and bought the 4" pipe and 1"pipe,and end caps so he could make me some. He bought chain to hang it with,he says he can make me four of these,and he wants to use fusion paint on them. I bought impatiens for them,looking for verbena,hoping to attract hummingbirds. If and when they get finished I will show pics. And oh yes,the man who sold him the pipe wants to know how to make them,too.

• moosemac
    17 years ago

I have a frame set up that my DH built for me to hang & grow upside down tomatoes. I gave that up and was looking for something else to grow hanging. I can't wait to try some of these planters with strawberries in them. Thank you!

• nancelee
    17 years ago

My DH made some of those for me and they are fun to watch as the plants grow. I filled them with impatience seedlings which I grew from seed I saved. Much fun!

• jhosta
    17 years ago

good morning.this idea has been done commercially for at least 10 years.the first ones i filled had small holes it the center tube.maybe 1/2 inch.that is not big enough, make sure when u drill them to make them bigger at the bottom. they always seemed to dry out at the bottom and the bottom plants did not do well.
    at the green house we used soil less mix and added time released fertilizer.impatience did very well.1/4 inch plug plants work the best.tamp down the soil, as you plant each row,by bumping the tube on a hard surface.not so it is tight packed but just to settle the soil.water really heavy the first watering fill the tube and water the top. then top it off a bit as the water goes out into the tube.
    we also planted plastic bags again these were manufactured.sort of tube shape.they were planted on just the front of the bag.good luck
    j

• amyinms
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Awesome idea with the strawberries! I wish I had a place to hang one with them in it-may have to rearrange the yard now lol

Amy in MS

• kudzukween
    17 years ago

Bumping this up. We made these and they came out great,very easy to do.

• kudzukween
    17 years ago

Bumping this again so everyone can click the link for directions :)