Return to the Garden Junk Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Mountain bike into planter, any tips?

Posted by artsygirl89 5b (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 14, 12 at 16:15

I have had my father's old mountain bike in my basement since about early 2006. He passed away unexpectedly and I inherited it, it was the bike I had given him a few years before, and I haven't had the heart to throw it away.

Today I got the idea that maybe oh maybe I could put it in the garden as a planter, or at least to hold planters, and of course I thought of this forum!

I tried looking for pictures, but they're all vintage bicycles, this one is a straight-handled cheap mountain bike, with gear shifts on the handles. I'm thinking I would remove the gear shift from the handles and clip the cables off, not sure if I want to try to remove the whole gear assembly from the back wheel, only if I know I can get it back on again.

Do you think this is nuts? Any tips on prepping the bike, paint, attaching planters?
Any suggestions or info you could give me would be much appreciated!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Mountain bike into planter, any tips?

I've seen people attach a basket to the front handle bars and put plants in there. Also, panniers/baskets over the back wheel to hold plants.

No special prep required - beyond the ability to make the bike stand up straight. Just attach the baskets and put the plants in.

o

Here's on in Inspirational Album ...old rusty bike by best:

old rusty Bike by Best

I've just seen alot of them w/diff style baskets added ...like freezer baskets ... some people paint the bike all one color or cover it ...I think susiewantsroses did that once some time ago. Oh, found her pic:

Photobucket

The link to the Misc. album in the Inspiration GJ is below ...has a few bikes. Might get an idea. Good luck! Jeanne S.

Here is a link that might be useful: Garden Junk Inspirational Album ..Misc.

o

I like bike wheels taken off and colored glass plates inserted in them. I couldn't find the picture. Here are a bunch of images, I googled bicycle yard art.
Good luck and be sure to post what you do.
Kathy

Here is a link that might be useful: bicycle yard art

o

Thanks for the question artsygirl.
I have several sizes of bikes, a tricycle,
a 3 wheeler and a motor-bike (that has seen
better days). And also thanks to kathy for
posting the link. I have now seen several
things that I want to do.

o

Some have and some haven't... but until you have you just won't know what you are missing.

Winter in the Otways really is a whole different world. The local trail crew have done a heap of work over the past few years to make our trails a whole lot more "winter-proof". We love riding here in the winter mainly because the trails are generally so much more grippy.

Here is a link that might be useful: Carbon Mountain Bicycle Wheels

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Junk Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here