Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kirkus_gw

Faucet Creation

kirkus
13 years ago

Hi Everyone! Got this idea from the "Flea Market Gardens" magazine (page 133) mentioned in a post by Coppertop. Thank you, Coppertop!

It's a simple but fun idea. I used a spigot (a gift from a Garden Junk friend!) and attached it to an elbow fitting and then to a copper pole. The copper pole has aged gracefully, having green patina like the faucet. My wonderful wife found the crystal raindrop at an antique revival lighting store. Put it all together today and placed it outside to snap a photo or two. I can't wait until spring I'll place it by one of my water features. :o) Had to share! Bear Hugs! Kirk

{{gwi:134509}}

{{gwi:134510}}

Comments (24)

• chelcass
    13 years ago

Hey Kirk, Love it! Hmmmmmm, got a old metal watering can to put under it?? Or even a old metal bucket!

• jeannespines
    13 years ago

Love it, kirk & carol! Looks "aged" & drippin'! I've had one near garden shed that DH put tog for me...& it's been out several yrs...crystal teardrop & all. Has weathered well! Happy 1st day of Spring! Sweet! TFS! Jeanne S.

• sorie6 zone 6b
    13 years ago

Great. I saw some of those at First Mon. in Canton,Tx. a couple yrs. ago.
    You did a great job.

• azcactusflower
    13 years ago

NICE!!! chelcass has some good suggestions to enhance it even more. Great idea! Thanks for sharing.

• kirkus
    Original Author
    13 years ago

The top picture doesn't show it but the faucet is right by our whiskey barrel/watering can water feature. I didn't want to show the water feature as it's still in winter mode! :o) Bear Hugs! Kirk

Thanks for the nice comments. Like I said, a fun project. :o)

• concretenprimroses
    13 years ago

that's so cute!
    Great execution of the idea.
    Kathy

• marylee_2010
    13 years ago

Kirk, that is really neat. I have a faucet and a pipe. If you don't mind, I think I will try that. Marylee

• kirkus
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Marylee, Please copy the idea. I did! :o) What fun!

• toomuchglass
    13 years ago

How cool is that !!

• threekittens_ia
    13 years ago

Nice. With the snow on the ground, you could interpret it as a drop of water or a frozen ice drop. :)

• jeannespines
    13 years ago

Kirk...I thought I had a pic of my faucet ...it's not nearly a cool spigot as yours! This is last May so flowers just getting started but my faucet is over this metal tub of flowers at garden shed. And I love Carol's choice of raindrop! Jeanne S.

{{gwi:134511}}

• Purplemoon
    13 years ago

Very neat, Kirk. That crystal raindrop is just PERFECT!
    It really sets this faucet off.

hugs, Karen

• nonacook
    13 years ago

I love those---But mine does not have a fancy handle like yours, Kirk! Or the fancy 'drop'...

http://members.cox.net/nonacook/index.htm

• luna_llena_feliz
    13 years ago

Carol sure picked the perfected "drop!" I want to create one (or more) of these for my garden. How do you connect the crystal?

• sunnyca_gw
    13 years ago

I think it is dripping into the snow as "spring" has just arrived! Looks great!! Spring came in here with a roar, lots of rain & wind & we sure need the rain but can't remember when we've had this much all at once. My rain barrel will be full. Just said supposed to let up tomorrow but start on wed.again not good for burned out hillsides in mountains. Looks like a while before you will be able to get your GJ out & dressing up your yard. Jan

• kirkus
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks again for the kind words. Made my day!

Luna, we used a fine wire (the same wire we use for our windchimes) and struhg it through the faucet, wrapping it around the end fitting of the faucet. Then, when we added the elbow joint, it snuggly secured the wire into place. Luna, now that you have your very own gardens, I bet you'll be making lots of cool things for us to see! :o) You go girl!

Bear Hugs! Kirk

• Marlene Kindred
    13 years ago

Very cool creation! Commented on FB too....love the copper spigot and the water drop crystal is beautiful!

• oldcrafty
    13 years ago

The crystal is BEAUTIFUL. I could hear my husband saying "You forgot to turn the handle tight enough!! And then I could snicker!!

• excessfroufrou
    13 years ago

Now that's one leaky faucet that I could handle. Ha! Y'all did a wonderful job as usual.
    Frou

• shrillmtb
    13 years ago

That faucet is so pretty, I love how it's aged!! I have an old one lying around here somewhere that has a nice patina...now just have to find a suitable crystal. TFS!
    Sheryll

• gardencraze
    13 years ago

I JUST LOVE!!!!!!!!

• kirkus
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I showed these pictures at work. Someone said that they make a cleaner for brass that would remove the green patina. Another seriously thought the faucet was a working faucet and that I should use Plumbers Goop to seal the leak. :o) (I'm actually glad she said that because it made me feel the drop looked somewhat real.) Guess you have to be a Garden Junker to appreciate the beauty of rust and patina. Gotta go fix my leaky faucet! :o) Bear Hugs! Kirk

• Crafty Gardener
    13 years ago

Look great.
    I did something similar with an old hose nozzel and some beads to simulate the water, even added a bit of old hosepipe to it too.

• rock_oak_deer
    13 years ago

Those are very nice. I'll have to look for a fancy faucet now too.

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH