Return to the Garden Junk Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Faucet Creation

Posted by kirkus (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 20, 11 at 16:49

Hi Everyone! Got this idea from the "Flea Market Gardens" magazine (page 133) mentioned in a post by Coppertop. Thank you, Coppertop!

It's a simple but fun idea. I used a spigot (a gift from a Garden Junk friend!) and attached it to an elbow fitting and then to a copper pole. The copper pole has aged gracefully, having green patina like the faucet. My wonderful wife found the crystal raindrop at an antique revival lighting store. Put it all together today and placed it outside to snap a photo or two. I can't wait until spring I'll place it by one of my water features. :o) Had to share! Bear Hugs! Kirk

Photobucket

Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Faucet Creation

Hey Kirk, Love it! Hmmmmmm, got a old metal watering can to put under it?? Or even a old metal bucket!

o

Love it, kirk & carol! Looks "aged" & drippin'! I've had one near garden shed that DH put tog for me...& it's been out several yrs...crystal teardrop & all. Has weathered well! Happy 1st day of Spring! Sweet! TFS! Jeanne S.

o

• Posted by sorie6 Zone4 Colo (My Page) on
    Sun, Mar 20, 11 at 18:53

Great. I saw some of those at First Mon. in Canton,Tx. a couple yrs. ago.
You did a great job.

o

NICE!!! chelcass has some good suggestions to enhance it even more. Great idea! Thanks for sharing.

o

The top picture doesn't show it but the faucet is right by our whiskey barrel/watering can water feature. I didn't want to show the water feature as it's still in winter mode! :o) Bear Hugs! Kirk

Thanks for the nice comments. Like I said, a fun project. :o)

o

that's so cute!
Great execution of the idea.
Kathy

o

Kirk, that is really neat. I have a faucet and a pipe. If you don't mind, I think I will try that. Marylee

o

Marylee, Please copy the idea. I did! :o) What fun!

o

How cool is that !!

o

Nice. With the snow on the ground, you could interpret it as a drop of water or a frozen ice drop. :)

o

Kirk...I thought I had a pic of my faucet ...it's not nearly a cool spigot as yours! This is last May so flowers just getting started but my faucet is over this metal tub of flowers at garden shed. And I love Carol's choice of raindrop! Jeanne S.

Chicken Faucet Garden 5.10

o

Very neat, Kirk. That crystal raindrop is just PERFECT!
It really sets this faucet off.

hugs, Karen

o

I love those---But mine does not have a fancy handle like yours, Kirk! Or the fancy 'drop'...

http://members.cox.net/nonacook/index.htm

o

Carol sure picked the perfected "drop!" I want to create one (or more) of these for my garden. How do you connect the crystal?

o

I think it is dripping into the snow as "spring" has just arrived! Looks great!! Spring came in here with a roar, lots of rain & wind & we sure need the rain but can't remember when we've had this much all at once. My rain barrel will be full. Just said supposed to let up tomorrow but start on wed.again not good for burned out hillsides in mountains. Looks like a while before you will be able to get your GJ out & dressing up your yard. Jan

o

Thanks again for the kind words. Made my day!

Luna, we used a fine wire (the same wire we use for our windchimes) and struhg it through the faucet, wrapping it around the end fitting of the faucet. Then, when we added the elbow joint, it snuggly secured the wire into place. Luna, now that you have your very own gardens, I bet you'll be making lots of cool things for us to see! :o) You go girl!

Bear Hugs! Kirk

o

Very cool creation! Commented on FB too....love the copper spigot and the water drop crystal is beautiful!

o

The crystal is BEAUTIFUL. I could hear my husband saying "You forgot to turn the handle tight enough!! And then I could snicker!!

o

Now that's one leaky faucet that I could handle. Ha! Y'all did a wonderful job as usual.
Frou

o

That faucet is so pretty, I love how it's aged!! I have an old one lying around here somewhere that has a nice patina...now just have to find a suitable crystal. TFS!
Sheryll

o

I JUST LOVE!!!!!!!!

o

I showed these pictures at work. Someone said that they make a cleaner for brass that would remove the green patina. Another seriously thought the faucet was a working faucet and that I should use Plumbers Goop to seal the leak. :o) (I'm actually glad she said that because it made me feel the drop looked somewhat real.) Guess you have to be a Garden Junker to appreciate the beauty of rust and patina. Gotta go fix my leaky faucet! :o) Bear Hugs! Kirk

o

Look great.
I did something similar with an old hose nozzel and some beads to simulate the water, even added a bit of old hosepipe to it too.

o

Those are very nice. I'll have to look for a fancy faucet now too.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Junk Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here