Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
castorp

Garden junk ponds/water gardens

castorp
17 years ago

Do any of you have ideas/pictures for a garden junk pond or water garden? I remember reading in Sara Stein's "Planting Noah's Garden" about a woman who used an old hot water heater or boiler as a pond. I've also seen cattle troughs used as ponds. Looking forward to hearing what you all say! Thanks,

'
Bill

Comments (20)

• becki_in_la
    17 years ago

This page shows junk around my water garden. Not sure if this is what you wanted....

Here is a link that might be useful: Becki's stuff

• foxygrandma9
    17 years ago

Here's mine it is make from a wter trough

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:134664}}

• foxygrandma9
    17 years ago

sorry aboute the spelling should have been made and water,LOL guess I need to go to bed

• galcho
    17 years ago

Berki,
    I enjoyed your site. How do make hummingsbirds feeders so "goodies" don't drop all the time?

• desertrat1
    17 years ago

Bill, I remember on here thrtee that may interest you. One is of an old claw foot tub and a shower fixture pouring down on an otter in the tub! I can't remember whose it is but I'm sure it will show up. Also, there was one that was made out of an old truck and another with a facade of a Loisiana bayou home with water trinkling down from the roof. Hope whomevers they are that they post them here for you. It's great to get some creative ideas.

Have fun with this.

Love, Jules

• castorp
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks for the pictures! Becki, I love those lilypads. So how did you do make your pond? Did you use a liner?

Foxygrandma, that's a cute picture, with dog drinking and the fish swimming below, and the pond looks great. What kind of trough did you use? I've seen some plastic/rubber troughs at the feed store. I also like the galvanized kind. I haven't really checked the prices though. Was it difficult to turn the trough into a pond?

Thanks again,

Bill

• pattico_gw
    17 years ago

Bill I don't know how big a pond you want...I have a small one tucked in a flower garden, right off the edge of our porch.

I bought a liner for a half whiskey barrel and dug a hole to put it in.

I just love it...I get all the sound I want from it and don't have a lot of work keeping it up.

I pump my water up into a dr. blue speckled enamel tea pot and it pours out of that back into the pond.

patti

• foxygrandma9
    17 years ago

Bill it wasn't hard. The trough is oval and is rubber plastic material. I pluged the drain and put screen over it to keep the fish from going in, put rocks in the bottom and my pump. My DS gave me the lady statue, and I added a pump for her, I put the blue in the water this year, to stop the algae. That is my DS jack russel she loved my pond. I need to add more water today as the wind has been blowing. I love to set out and listen to the water. It is just now warming here and later I will set out plants around it that will hide the bad parts.

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:134665}}

• becki_in_la
    17 years ago

castorp,
    Glad you enjoyed the pics. Yes, my ponds are made with a liner. The first one was dug by my daughter one summer, the other two dug by me a couple years later. Just dug the holes, added the liners, connect with streams, then added water. I would do some things different if I had it to do over, but I ain't about to start over now. The link below shows more pics of the ponds.

galcho,
    On the big bottles the stoppers are made so the liquid don't come out. dont know the science of it, but they hardly leak at all. Got them all over my yard and have given away alot of the big bottles as gifts. I tried to match the bottles to the person, such as a friend of mine only drinks Dr. Pepper so I gave her one made from a very old Dr. Pepper bottle. Another friends likes tequila so I made her one from a tequila bottle and things like that.
    The tiny bottle idea came from a guy here, and the flower pick thingie was my idea. Got to fill the little ones too often, like the bigger ones.

Here is a link that might be useful: Becki's ponds

• cindee11461
    17 years ago

I have the shower pond and I also did a waterbed pond and a bathtub pond....I am into those water features I guess...(-: Heres the pictures of what I did......
    {{gwi:131551}}
    {{gwi:134666}}
    {{gwi:134667}}

• flowered-corners
    17 years ago

cindee
    Please don't take this the wrong way, but I am glad you live far from me.You see I am going to do the animal in the shower tub.I absolutly love it!!!But I don't want everyone to know I copied someone elses art work ! lol
    Thanks for sharing

• cindee11461
    17 years ago

I am glad you like the shower pond flowered-corners(-: I am glad you are going to copy the idea too, that is cool(-: I actually got the idea from another website so I can't take all the credit...but I did add a few of my own ideas to make it work for me (-: Go to the link below...If you scroll through the little pictures there is a shower pond at the bottom (-: You can click on the picture to make it bigger(-: Don't forget to post pictures when you finish your project(-:

Here is a link that might be useful: shower pond idea

• castorp
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Your ponds are all beautiful! Thanks for posting.
    Cindee, how did you do the water bed pond?
    I'm getting lots of great ideas here.

• gardenfairy50
    17 years ago

I have heard that fish cannot go into the galvanized metal, that they will become deformed. Anyone else heard of this??

• cindee11461
    17 years ago

On the waterbed pond....I dug a hole in the ground and bought a plastic liner and put it in there. My husband built a wood frame around the sides to keep it all contained.

• TxMarti
    17 years ago

I've never heard that gardenfairy. Growing up I had a friend with a huge galvanized horse tank (for the horse) and they had huge pretty goldfish in it.

• todancewithwolves
    16 years ago

I've been in a state of depression for over a week. Must be the gray weather we're having. Anyway...thank you all for making me giggle!!!! You are the most creative folks and I wish you were all my neighbors :-)

I want a water bed now and I want a tub with a flowerpot person. DH is going to flip with another one of my crazy ideas. I just convinced him I needed to build a Mason bee house *lol*

Here's my pond. I inherited from the previous owner. I don't like it and would love to replace it with something else.

{{gwi:134668}}

You are all great! thank you for making me laugh.

Edna

• Woodsy
    16 years ago

Edna, what is a mason bee house?????

• pattico_gw
    16 years ago

Cindee...that "water bed" is my favorite...I'm still watching for a bed. I'd even be happy with one of those toddler metal beds...(just the head board and foot board)

patti

• todancewithwolves
    16 years ago

Woodsy, mine is a block of 4 x 6 redwood with 5/16" holes drilled at random. Mason bees will use it as a home and lay eggs in the holes.

Mason bee's are small bee's that don't sting, very shy and very docile. Good guys for the garden :-)

Edna

Here is a link that might be useful: How to build a Mason Bee house

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting